Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just got an orbital, now what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 03:44 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just got an orbital, now what do I do?

As 1SickLex used to say "Shine it up real good, turn it sideways ..."

But seriously. It was a gift so I know that is not the best quality. Should I use it to apply the polish or remove it? I have a black car so I am very hesitant to fark it up with swirl marks and scratches. I use Meguires # 7 Show Car Glaze at least twice a month and would like to start using my new orbital to cut down on some of the work. Any thoughts???
Old 07-07-03, 06:34 PM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbital

What type of orbital do you have? Is it a PC? (Porter Cable 7224)

The PC is by far THE tool to use for polish and glaze work. Have a good set of pads say from Properautocare.com like one orange, one yellow "finger" pad, one white and one grey with a good backing plate.

Need more info? The best site devoted to detailing is Autopia.org. You have to register, but the forums are fantastic! You will come out with so much info and tips you'll thank me later!

For swirls, I use for bad ones, Megs DACP or Menzerna IP and IP. Or light swirls, just Menzerna FP or Megs #9. You want to remove swirls, not hide them.

Once swirls are gone, Zaino is my current protection with Souveran on top of multi coats of Zaino to deepen the shine. Some use S100 wax found at motorcycle shops as it's cheaper than other same wax made for cars and both identical. Go look at the Autopia site and check out some of the black cars!

As for other orbitals, they are just used for the dealerships new division

"Swirl mark and minor scratch application department"

Best price found for a PC: Costaltool.com

Let us know what you do!
Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-07-03, 07:39 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KayGee,

If it's one of those inexpensive 10"-11" 2-handled buffers, chances are it will do more harm than good to your paint...and that 202 Black Onyx is unforgiving (But, you know that). This type of buffer just doesn't have the power to work polishes and, often times, have poor quality bonnets that can slip and cause actual damage to your finish. There's a limited number of products that I would judge safe to use with a buffer like I described...but,

What brand is the one you have? size? accessories?
Does it mention OPM? (Orbits per minute) or amperage?

Hopefully, it's not a boat anchor in disguise?
Old 07-09-03, 06:21 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Orbital

Just yesterday I saw a BMW pull up to our loading dock and it was covered with orbital marks.

It looks like waves all over the hood. This is a good example of why we do not use orbital buffers! Looks like one of those car wash quick detail jobs!

Stick with a PC and foam pad and you'll be thankful later!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-09-03, 06:29 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok you guys have convinced me not to use it. I'll stick with the old hand job.
Old 07-10-03, 01:51 AM
Losiho
Driver

:shrug: I had a "professional" deatiler remove some paint imperfections and scratches on my car, and he put burn marks and scratches into my paint with his rotary buffer. I've been using my Hitachi Orbital sander with Meguiars pads to polish my cars, and there are no "waves" or scratches as a result.

Last edited by Losiho; 07-10-03 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-10-03, 02:24 AM
Deanski
Driver

Well, to really remove paint imperfections a rotory is used. However in the wrong hands, it can do damage. By keeping the pad over the same area at high speeds will burn the paint. If the speeds were low and pad was moving, there would be no way to burn the paint.

Using an orbital with foam pads is a better way in obtaining good results. Rotorys have their place in the art of detailing and paint repairs.

The WAVE effect is mostly done by using "bonnets". Foam pads as long as they are maintained will not produce that effect, but push down hard enough, you'll get it.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-10-03, 11:22 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

"Burning" the paint isn't the only thing to watch out for. Remember the paint layer is quite thin. OK, so you guessed. Yeah, I have seen guys go right through. They never burned it, just cut all the way through. Yes, it ruins your whole day and no, it is not a good thing.