Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather care (LS430)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 12:31 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I sugget you follow the Lexus manual's instructions. Lexus knows how they have manufactured their leather and it isn't necessarily like other leathers. Leathers can be finished in many various ways.
Old 02-26-20, 04:39 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I've struggled with maintenance on my leather seats as well. I had some wear spots, that were bugging me. Last month, I ordered some leather dye from Leather World Technologies - Ecru color – color number EI 75. I used it to touch up some wear and tear on the seats and trim on my 2005 LS430, UL package. Cleaned the worn areas with isopropyl alcohol, smoothed out the nubs with some 400 grit sandpaper, and then brushed on the dye with a small brush. It worked FANTASTIC! Some pics are attached.

P.S. I came across Leather World products via a post on Club Lexus. I can't seem to remember which forum, so I am sharing this post in multiple places.

front seat, repaired

rear seats, repaired

Old 02-27-20, 03:50 PM
Leung
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by designdude
I've struggled with maintenance on my leather seats as well. I had some wear spots, that were bugging me. Last month, I ordered some leather dye from Leather World Technologies - Ecru color – color number EI 75. I used it to touch up some wear and tear on the seats and trim on my 2005 LS430, UL package. Cleaned the worn areas with isopropyl alcohol, smoothed out the nubs with some 400 grit sandpaper, and then brushed on the dye with a small brush. It worked FANTASTIC! Some pics are attached.

P.S. I came across Leather World products via a post on Club Lexus. I can't seem to remember which forum, so I am sharing this post in multiple places.

front seat, repaired

rear seats, repaired

Thanks for your post. Looks like it came out amazing. Definitely gonna try this kit out as i have the ecru interior as well! Going to also touch up the door handle area as theres some wear on there too.
Old 02-27-20, 04:59 PM
designdude
Driver

The Leather World dye should work well on your door handle area. It did on mine. I don't know how long it will last, but right now, it looks good as new.

I also used it on the lid of the driver console, on the leather trim underneath the glove compartment, on the seat backs, etc. The key is to clean the areas well (I used isopropyl alcohol - IPA), and prep them well. I used 400 grit sand paper to smooth things out, followed by cleaning with IPA. Let the IPA evaporate, then brush on the dye in small increments, and let it dry thoroughly between coats.

Last edited by designdude; 02-27-20 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 06:57 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

my leather is soft but has a lot of cracks around the seat edges a d side bolsters that are quite visible as they are darker than the rest of the seat. It's not dirt and I have been unable to clean it .. any suggestions ?
Old 03-02-20, 07:33 AM
designdude
Driver

The leather world dye should work for this. It is actually a synthetic coating which bonds to the leather. Buy a 4oz bottle, try it on a hidden corner.
Old 04-12-20, 03:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
my leather is soft but has a lot of cracks around the seat edges a d side bolsters that are quite visible as they are darker than the rest of the seat. It's not dirt and I have been unable to clean it .. any suggestions ?
Hey Stu

you need to sand those cracks out , and then redye them

I do leather restoration here in Toronto , I can get you some custom matched leather dye for you to do it, or I could do it for you if you like

Otherwise the poster above us seems to have a good match from his contact , lots of options
Old 04-12-20, 08:41 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks *****. I am probably not going to keep the car much longer so I'll let the next owner get the wear out of the seats. I know you sold yours for an LS460 but for some reason the LS460 isn't for me. Probably a mid size SUV is in my future.

stay safe ! Stupid Covid 19 better not cancel the golf season !
Old 04-13-20, 11:16 AM
Funkdawg
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife's interior could use a refresh.
I may have to have her interior conditioned by an expert.
Old 06-14-20, 10:05 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You can do wonders to fix leather with a little elbow grease and good products. Take a look at these ecru seats
Old 07-03-21, 09:48 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Reviving this thread to asking for advice among 3 products for my 2005 UL ecru. Seat doctors, leatherworld tech, or SEM Phantom White (a spraypaint!). I learned about all 3 on this forum.
My story here: My 2005 UL (ecru) passenger seat got torn over time, and I searched hard for a repair that would look decent, and I was concerned about Ecru vs Ivory (Beige non-ultra color) difference, that the color mismatch would be glaring . 1 place quoted me $850 for a new, full bottom leather seat cover supposedly custom made for LS (I saw it was a for-Lexus samples book), but that was too much. Another place offered a new perforated insert for $300 (vinyl). I went with it but got very concerned I would see the difference between the changed part (where your butt goes, basically) and the part under your knees that would not change, as the new material color did not seem identical when it arrived. The upholstery man assured me it would be fine if not exact, and that the difference was at least partly because my existing leather was dirty. He also said he could redye/coat/blend it after if necessary, for $80 more.

I took the risk with the original plan, and when I got the car back, I thought he changed the whole passenger seat -- it looked great, at first. He said he cleaned it. I have had my car detailed before (3 years ago or more now) and have cleaned it myself, too, with a Woolite blend as Lexus recommends, but I thought he must have steamed it better than the detailer, etc. It never looked so clean! I have no before pictures, but was amazed.

I thought abut asking him to do my entire interior with the same "cleaning". Now, however, I am thinking he applied some dye. It looks great but the whole seat does not QUITE match. It is yellower than the rest. of my Ecru even after I tried cleaning my drivers seat and armrest again. The cracking faded, too, which cleaning never did for me. I think he applied a closest-color dye that he already had in stock that day (which probably explains why the car had a strong .chemical odor) The seat looks good by itself but is slightly off, more than from just a cleaning. I am still happy enough as it is subtle. Nothing is perfect...

This got me looking here on this forum. I am very pleased and surprised that I found three color options on various posts to do driver seat (and the back) myself. Seat doctors ecru seems just wipe-on. https://www.seatdoctors.com/diy-leather-dye. Leatherworld tech has an option, https://leatherworldtech.com/lexus-l...e-color-chart/. , and finally people have commented favorably on this ecru as a great match, but in involves masking as it is a spray paint: SEM phantom white.
Amazon Amazon

.The seat repair really did make the seat look great, but I don't know his exact method and am worried about the color. I could go back and ask him to to my other seats the same way (surely cheaper since no repair to be stitched in, just "cleaning"), but I am thinking of trying it myself to assure I get the color I want. I might even recolor the seat he did. Seat Doctors above seems especially easy. I am asking for advice and recommendations among these 3 products or others that people have tried, especially for the UL ecru.. Sanding the areas with grooves (dark lines/worn areas mostly where my legs hang over the seat front and the bolsters ) first as some have recommended sounds dicey to me, I might cause more harm then good as I am no pro at this. Seat doctors sounds like it does not require sanding...

Thoughts? My other seats are worn but not horrible, so I want to proceed with caution. Also would apply it to armrest, door grabs, etc. if it came out well... Thanks for reading and any recommendations.

;