Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Top Coat vs Hydrosilex, vs......

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 07:59 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Pinnacle Soveriegn Spray Wax
OR
Griots Best in Show Spray Wax?

As said before, huge Pinnacle lover here but local shops dont carry it. Picked up the Griots today for a steal. You guys ever smelled this stuff!! 🎂

Ok to be used over Pinnacle Waxes without issue, or are they all the same when it really comes down to it?

Thanks!
Never used Pinnacle products but have have both Griots Best in Show and Adams Quick Detailer in my garage and both work fantastic. Wax is wax for the most part but the thing to note is if the quick detailer has carnauba wax in it and you have a ceramic coating or say like a Hydosilex coating it can leave a hazing on your car as the wax in the quick detailer doesn't set well with the ceramic type stuff. I know Griots BIS doesn't contain wax but I think Adams does.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 08:15 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Exclamation Wow!

Originally Posted by Hudrock
Never used Pinnacle products but have have both Griots Best in Show and Adams Quick Detailer in my garage and both work fantastic. Wax is wax for the most part but the thing to note is if the quick detailer has carnauba wax in it and you have a ceramic coating or say like a Hydosilex coating it can leave a hazing on your car as the wax in the quick detailer doesn't set well with the ceramic type stuff. I know Griots BIS doesn't contain wax but I think Adams does.
Hudrock my man!!

Now THAT is definitely the best piece of info I've read here since joining this forum man! Awesome!!

Reason say this, is because right meow the car "Not Coated" and as you may have seen, I have been detailing it with Carnuba "Pinnacle Soveirgn" Wax over their Advanced Polish- using my handy Porter Cable 7424xp!

In like 2 weeks the car will be completely Ceramic Coated, over Suntek Ultra PPF designated areas. I have yet to be told exactly WHICH products to use Post PPF! Thus , making your post tell me what NOT to use. Correct??
Old 06-06-18, 08:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You can certainly use a product containing wax on top of PPF or on top of a ceramic coating. The thoery with topping coatings with "traditional" waxes and sealants is that they may not bond the same way to the coating as they would to bare paint and therefore may have reduced durability or different physical properties... to be honest it is a bit of an unknown and there is a lot of speculation regarding how various products behave with ceramic coatings. In my opinion there are few benefits to topping a coating with something like a traditional wax or sealant as you will be covering up many of the great beneficial properties of the coating by doing so, however you will not harm anything if you chose to (assuming you have allowed the coating to fully cure).

As far as post-coating maintenance goes.....
Maintaining Your Paint Coating by Zach McGovern
Maintain Your Coated Car Like a Pro! by Tim Coats
How to Maintain Your Coated Car by James Melfi

You can use the same products on top of PPF as you do on your paint when it comes to protection.

-Zach
Old 06-06-18, 08:29 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Hudrock my man!!

Now THAT is definitely the best piece of info I've read here since joining this forum man! Awesome!!

Reason say this, is because right meow the car "Not Coated" and as you may have seen, I have been detailing it with Carnuba "Pinnacle Soveirgn" Wax over their Advanced Polish- using my handy Porter Cable 7424xp!

In like 2 weeks the car will be completely Ceramic Coated, over Suntek Ultra PPF designated areas. I have yet to be told exactly WHICH products to use Post PPF! Thus , making your post tell me what NOT to use. Correct??
Don't know what PPF is but I'm sure the guys that coat your car will tell you to stay away from products containing wax after the coating - car soap included. I don't think it will break down the coating or anything along those lines but can leave it filmy/hazy and you would have to clean the car again. Check out the CarPro products, specifically the ECH20 and the Reset products. They are formulated for the ceramic coating up keep.
https://www.carpro-us.com/wash/carpr...-1-liter-34oz/
​​​​​https://www.carpro-us.com/quick-deta...-34oz-1-liter/
GunnyFitz (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 09:07 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

All that serious Intel you tapped out that fast- and ya don't know what PPF is? (Sarcastic)

Production Possibility Frontier (PPF) Now I don't have any clue in the world what that is! lol

Perhaps you've read that some Ladies wear "Clear Bars" in the Auto world? Wikipedia even.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_protection_film

Thanks brother. This is great gouge. Keep it coming too Hud!
Hudrock (06-06-18)