Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Protecting your car from road salt and the elements

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 06:17 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Protecting your car from road salt and the elements

In the NE we get road salt 4-6 months out of the year. The NW has forest fire ash, which forms an alkali that eats you paint. The South/Southwest has heat and UV rays. The only time an undercoat works is if it's applied when the car is new, every day thereafter makes undercoating that much less effective. A 4 year old car in the NE and Canada has tons of rust, much of it not yet visible, but some of it very obvious.

Question: How do you guys protect you car's paint and underbelly from road salt and the elements?
Old 06-03-18, 08:34 AM
RichKeagy
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Southern California, Mediterranean climate here.
I just wash and wax my LC500.
Sometimes I use the clay bar, but the car is pretty new and is garaged at night.
Non-stop compliments.
Old 06-03-18, 03:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Fluid Film, Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, and Boeshield T9 are my top three products for undercoating. Does not matter if the car is brand new or has surface rust or even thicker, more scaly rust. These products are designed to stop rust from spreading in areas that have already developed rust and prevent rust from forming on clean metal/e-coating.

You can apply either of these yourself with either an aerosol or even better with an undercoating gun and extension wands that allow to shoot this stuff into deep cavities that you would otherwise miss from just spraying out of a rattle can.

These products are the truth. Do a bit of research and you will see for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 05:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to live in Wisconsin, the winter salt capital of the US, LOL. I've used this on multiple projects in the past and rust never returned.

POR 15
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 07:55 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Fluid Film, Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, and Boeshield T9 are my top three products for undercoating....These products are the truth. Do a bit of research and you will see for yourself.
Good info, thanks so much!!!!

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I used to live in Wisconsin, the winter salt capital of the US, LOL. I've used this on multiple projects in the past and rust never returned.

POR 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHx-hBuO6s
Interesting. I'll do some research on this and the one above. Thanks so much!
Old 06-04-18, 12:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,899 Likes on 2,447 Posts

POR-15 is great for spot rust repair not the kind of thing you use to paint the entire underside. Well you could but not practical and doesn't bond well to clean metal. I spray my winter car down once a year with Fluid Film it does a great job of preventing rust, and will even neutralize existing rust. One application costs me about $40.
Old 06-05-18, 01:21 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
POR-15 is great for spot rust repair not the kind of thing you use to paint the entire underside. Well you could but not practical and doesn't bond well to clean metal. I spray my winter car down once a year with Fluid Film it does a great job of preventing rust, and will even neutralize existing rust. One application costs me about $40.
Based on what I've read, most of these products are good. However, the caveat is to be very careful when applying, especially to not get the materials on rubber joints and hoses since they will expand and deteriorate. Some reviewers state that this is a non-issue. Either way, good advice.

It looks like there are some home concoctions out there with parrafin wax and oil.

Thanks for your input. Helpful.
Old 06-08-18, 09:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
Based on what I've read, most of these products are good. However, the caveat is to be very careful when applying, especially to not get the materials on rubber joints and hoses since they will expand and deteriorate. Some reviewers state that this is a non-issue. Either way, good advice.

It looks like there are some home concoctions out there with parrafin wax and oil.

Thanks for your input. Helpful.
Krown rust proofing does that to rubber. Fluid Film and the other ones I mentioned are perfectly safe on anything rubber or plastic underneath. Don't even worry about trying to avoid them. Just don't get a ton of it on the exhaust if possible because it will give off a burning smell for a while.

The only thing Fluid film can potentially damage is natural rubber (like the weather stripping around your doors, hood, and trunk), but everything in the engine bay and undercarriage is all synthetic rubber that's resistant to oil/gas spills and most definitely won't be affected by Fluid Film.
Old 06-08-18, 09:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfelbab

POR 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHx-hBuO6s
This is a great product, but as was mentioned it is not an undercoating and won't stick to existing paint or clean metal. You would need to sand everything with an 80 grit or rougher for POR to stick which obviously nobody is going to be doing on their cars. POR does what it's designed to do, stick to rust and not flake off.