Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 07:50 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover

I have the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover coming in the mail next week. I guess I didn't notice it before when I picked my car up at the dealership, but now I'm seeing small water spots on the hood and fenders - guess sprinklers may have gotten those areas at some point.

I've seen the YouTube videos of this and mixed reviews, but has anyone used this product on a black car? Supposedly it's safe for clearcoat and glass, but not rubber - anything I should know beforehand?
Old 07-09-18, 08:28 PM
crf3973
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve had my eye on this product for a few months, please let me know how it works out!
Old 07-09-18, 08:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Water spot removers will only be effective if the spots have not begun etching into the paint.

I discuss water spots in more detail in these two articles, including how to remove them.
Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

... and while I have not used Chemical Guys Water Spot remover, here is my review on CarPro Spotless.
Product Review: CarPro Spotless Water Spot and Mineral Remover by Zach McGovern
Old 07-13-18, 10:44 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

So just to update here, I've used the CG Water Spot Remover on my car. I had small water spots on the hood and side of my car and driver side windows. I can tell you that it does work on water spots that have not etched in with relatively little effort, whether in paint or the windows, as Zach suggested above. I applied all over my car and it does take off the spots while restoring the base shine - I also reapplied a new layer of wax on top afterward for protection.

Just make sure of a couple things (also says on the instructions):
1. Wear gloves when you're applying the gel. It's a Citrus-based mild acid and you don't want that on your hands.
2. It's recommended to apply with a microfiber pad vs. towel.
3. I used spray bottle of distilled water to neutralize the gel once worked in and a separate microfiber cloth to wipe off
4. If you're doing this by hand, it does take some elbow grease so be patient and do small sections at a time
5. Tape off any areas or rubber trim as the gel may stain it

Hope this helps.