Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

overspray

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 01:27 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default overspray

hello all, i just recieved my car back from the shop today it was getting the front bumper repainted do some chips.. i noticed overspray on the hood and fendors just a little but still noticable, . i didn't want 2 drop the car back at the shop cus i have a appt with my leather guy 4 2marrow 2 drop off the car with him. my qustion is overspary something that can b taken care of easily or do ,when my leather is done, i need 2 leave the car again with the shop 4 a day or 2.? i ask cus i took my wheels off b4 taking the car 2 the shop so they would overspray the wheels and didn't want 2 put them back on if it need 2 go back in...help would b appreciated....
Old 07-17-03, 01:48 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blue,

you got too much $$$$...........send some my way.

Anyway for overspray....claybar. I use mother's clay bar and it works great.

Last edited by futuregs; 07-17-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-17-03, 04:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First recommendation is probably to get another paint shop. With a fifteen year old civic this isn't too much of a deal but anyone who treats a Lexus this way shouldn't be working on them.

Second is the overspray removal. If a clay bar works, you are very lucky from my experience. Normally overspray has to be cut off which means a polisher and polishing compound. A clay bar will remove the overspray if it is no better adhered than your average mud splatter. And if it does, you might want to think twice about the spray job they did. Assuming the guys who did the original paint won't bugger things up worse, take it back to them. Or get a good detailer to remove it.

Here in San Jose we have had various paint and body shops come and go but B Line has always been top notch. My wife's GS had to have some work done after a moron on a cell phone drove his SUV into her and we had Lexus bid on it but it when it came down to it, it was more important to me to have the job done right the first time than go with a name or guarantee so off to B Line it went. So there was a Lexus among about two dozen bimmers, several Porsches, two Ferraris and a Lambo. People who have been around for a long time and get that kind of patronage don't put paint where it's not supposed to be. And her GS is back and you can't tell it was ever hit, anywhere.
Old 07-17-03, 06:42 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

bluelex, A clay bar will work fine but need to be exrtemely careful using it. I am really glad we took off your wheels before you took the car there! I would really find a new body shop.....see ya on Sat!
Old 07-17-03, 06:42 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

ok i was wrong in a way, its is overspary but not paint, it was clear overspary, i called the shop and the guy apologized a million times and said he would take of if 1st thing when i arrive... but my question is this something that will take long? i'm hoping this can b removed b4 3pm cus i have 2 leave my car with the other worker 4 the weekend...
Old 07-17-03, 07:04 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If the guy is good, let him tell you and give him the time he needs. If it is just the clearcoat, he will have to see if he can remove the oversprayed clearcoat while leaving the clearcoat that is supposed to be on that section. He probably can do it but if he is a good guy and he has any doubts, he will get rid of the non uniform clearcoat overspray and then respray clearcoat on the affected areas, if that makes sense. Like I said, if he is competent and knows his stuff, let him make it right and give him the time to do the job right. I know it may be inconvenient but rushing and buggering something else up just turns an unpleasant situation into a real pain.
Old 07-17-03, 07:08 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

ok.....i will c what they say 2marrow, hoepfull he can do it right, this will b the last time i go 2 this shop , even if its warranty work, i rather pay a shop that all over again than take it back 2 this place 4 free warranty work. cus its hurts me in the long run....
Old 07-17-03, 07:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by UncleNick
bluelex, A clay bar will work fine but need to be exrtemely careful using it. I am really glad we took off your wheels before you took the car there! I would really find a new body shop.....see ya on Sat!
my brother and i said the same thing ,thank god we took the wheels off 2 b safe. i won't b their sat. cus i'm dropping the car off at the leather guy and he's going 2 need it till tues, so i figure keep the wheels off since it will b parked at his house in the back. so i'll pass by as soon as this stuff gets resolved. and i will take u'r advice and go to the shop u mentioned 2 me b4, i had friend tell me that that shop is the best around too, i wish i knew b4 i went where i went...
Old 07-17-03, 07:30 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

Yep, the shop I told you about has painted 3 cars for me and repaired one. They are ICAR certified, Ferrari Cetrified and are the best around here. They are a little pricy but, you get what you pay for. C-Ya when you are ready to install wheels again. BTW, how is your brothers truck running? I hope he is "driving" it the way he should...LOL
Old 07-18-03, 04:12 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

well my car came out the shop today and they fixed the problem with the overspary , they didn't remove the clear and reapply they just buffed away and it came out 3hrs later, and it was all taken off xcept 4 a little on the grill cus he couldn't hit it with the machine, i dropped the car off at my leather guy so i will get it back mon or teus mayb, should i tale it back or just try 2 clay bay the grill 4 it 2 come out...?

Last edited by bluelex; 07-18-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 04:57 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Bring the car to me, I'll get it out without messin it up!
Old 07-18-03, 05:03 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by UncleNick
Bring the car to me, I'll get it out without messin it up!
i passed by today and u weren't in....
Old 07-29-03, 01:10 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Default update

well guys it seems like my luck gets worse by the day, i haven't cleaned my engine since it cams from the shop, it was getting the inside redone and today i was cleaning the engine which was really dirty and noticed that the clear overspray got on the intake and strut bar and heatshield, i can't cut a break here, i called the shop and yelled somemore and he said that he would take care of it sat . but i'm scared of ahet they might do next, yes i am done with shop. after this but he said something about lacker thinner, which is paint thinner right? is this good 2 remove and clean the chrome without damaging it? help>?
Old 07-29-03, 08:12 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

well, i bought mothers clay bar kit and it helped with the side skirts and the laquer thinner reeally worked on the chrome parts that got overspary, it took it right off... so i'm a little happier at least..
thanx 4 the replies