Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Seat leather repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 02:56 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Seat leather repair?

Hello everyone! I am ESTATIC that I have found this forum. First time Lexus owner here, glad to see there is a nice community filled with similar car owners! Anyway here is some info on my New used vehicle!

I have a 2014 Lexus RX350 with Premium/navigation/audio/towprep packages, and I believe one or two add-ons as well. Exterior color is Starfire pearl, the interior is parchment. I purchased the vehicle Lexus preowned certified and the vehicle has 32,000. You can tell VERY obviously that the previous owners' garage kept this vehicle, it was almost in immaculate condition and I saw the car before the dealership [northsidelexus in houston] ever washed it...

Now for my worry/problem. I want to protect this beauty, and the driver's seat bottom left side [not the perforated portion], has some minor cracking going on from where the old owners presumably held their weight and/or slid across often. It also has some small discoloration of blue from jeans I presume. Is there any way that I can have this mended? The damage isn't terrible by any means. I was reading in another post that Lexus down right will not fix issues with interior leather as well. Honestly wanting to preserve the vehicle but not willing to spend to big of a pretty penny for something so minor as of yet. Although the discoloration is a minor annoyance...
Old 08-17-18, 04:09 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

First, show us pictures of the cracking. Are you sure this is really cracking and not just creasing? I'd like to see images of the damage before suggesting a remedy. Second, You can likely remove jean dye transfer or make it less visible by using a product called Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover. I'd apply Leather Master Protection Cream to prevent future dye transfer.
Old 08-17-18, 05:07 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jfelbab
First, show us pictures of the cracking. Are you sure this is really cracking and not just creasing? I'd like to see images of the damage before suggesting a remedy. Second, You can likely remove jean dye transfer or make it less visible by using a product called Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover. I'd apply Leather Master Protection Cream to prevent future dye transfer.

Old 08-17-18, 05:13 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

As Jim stated the Leather Master products work. After you get the dye of you can use the attached dye to fill in the cracks and even out the color. The parchment color which I use for both our vehicles matches perfectly. Clean it really well using a soft Kiwi shoe polish brush to agitate the leather. I use Zaino leather cleaner. It make the leather smell like new again.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...ant-p/d245.htm
Old 08-17-18, 05:20 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
As Jim stated the Leather Master products work. After you get the dye of you can use the attached dye to fill in the cracks and even out the color. The parchment color which I use for both our vehicles matches perfectly. Clean it really well using a soft Kiwi shoe polish brush to agitate the leather. I use Zaino leather cleaner. It make the leather smell like new again.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...ant-p/d245.htm
Thanks for responding! When purchasing the dye [Parchment color El 384 8oz Dye colorant]. Should I also get the color adjusting kit? Very new to this whole process but very excited to hopefully get this seat looking as close to new as possible!
Old 08-17-18, 05:45 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Thanks for responding! When purchasing the dye [Parchment color El 384 8oz Dye colorant]. Should I also get the color adjusting kit? Very new to this whole process but very excited to hopefully get this seat looking as close to new as possible!
I just use the dye. Use several very thin coats. It dries fast. It really improves the looks.
Old 08-17-18, 05:56 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I just use the dye. Use several very thin coats. It dries fast. It really improves the looks.
I hate to sound redundant however, could you kindly list out what all materials you use and the process? This car is the first "luxury" item I have owned and I am just trying to ensure that I do everything precisely and correctly.

So first thing is: Should I grab some microfiber towels? Where can I locate the brush you mentioned? I have seen multiple videos of people sanding down leather is this necessary for me? Or can I simply clean the area, and lightly begin coating it with the dye. And finally does the dye come with a brush? Or should I figure out a way to put it on myself. Thank you!
Old 08-17-18, 06:37 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
I hate to sound redundant however, could you kindly list out what all materials you use and the process? This car is the first "luxury" item I have owned and I am just trying to ensure that I do everything precisely and correctly.

So first thing is: Should I grab some microfiber towels? Where can I locate the brush you mentioned? I have seen multiple videos of people sanding down leather is this necessary for me? Or can I simply clean the area, and lightly begin coating it with the dye. And finally does the dye come with a brush? Or should I figure out a way to put it on myself. Thank you!

Walmart, Target will have this. You could use a soft bristle toothbrush but will take you longer. I like the Zaino leather cleaner but can only purchase on line. A good leather cleaner like Lexol should work fine. You need the bristles to get into the crevices to get out the dirt. use a circular motion and wipe dry with a clean cloth. No need to sand. Your leather is not that bad. Just use a small sponge to run a light coat of dye over the side bolster. Let dry for an hour and do another coat. It might take three thin coats to cover.

Last edited by Freds430; 08-18-18 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 01:57 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=Freds430;10281899]
Walmart, Target will have this. You could use a soft bristle toothbrush but will take you longer. I like the Zaino leather cleaner but can only purchase on line. A good leather cleaner like Lexol should work fine. You need the bristles to get into the crevices to get out the dirt. use a circular motion and wipe dry with a clean cloth. No need to sand. Your leather is not that bad. Just use a small sponge to run a light coat of dye over the side bolster. Let dry for an hour and do another coat. It might take three thin coats to cover.[/QUOTEe

Thank you for all of your help and advice. The dye should fill in the small cracks and get the seat looking close-ish to new? I am excited about ordering this stuff now.
Old 08-20-18, 03:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

You can make that look 90% better by treating with the Leatherique system. And you don't need any scrub brushes which wear down the finish.
Old 08-21-18, 04:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can make that look 90% better by treating with the Leatherique system. And you don't need any scrub brushes which wear down the finish.
Have used Leathererique before and will do nothing to fill in their existing cracks. The shoe polish brush or a soft toothbrush will not wear down the finish. Been doing this for 30 years on our probably 15 cars and many many friends cars and have never ever worn down a finish.
Old 08-21-18, 06:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Much of what I see in the clips appear to be dirty creases and not cracks, while there may be a few beginning cracks. I'd first concentrate on cleaning. Get the dirt out of the bottom of the creases and then re-hydrate the leather which will plump the leather fibers and minimize some of the creasing. If you have a few actual cracks you could spot dye and re-clear but this may need attention as time goes by. I'd suggest using a protection cream to add a layer of protection to this area and to keep it meticulously clean going forward. If it is turns out that these are really cracks, you might look for a seat skin from a salvage yard. Lexus color matching has not been an issue as they have near perfect color control. This is a long term fix and if you plan to keep the vehicle for some time may be the best option, IMO.
Old 08-23-18, 10:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Have used Leathererique before and will do nothing to fill in their existing cracks. The shoe polish brush or a soft toothbrush will not wear down the finish. Been doing this for 30 years on our probably 15 cars and many many friends cars and have never ever worn down a finish.
Any abrasion/friction wears down the surface the only question is how much. And even if the brush has zero friction there is still dirt you are moving around. Naturally no cleaner will put back finish that has been lost however Leatherique will remove dirt trapped in the creases.

Old 08-23-18, 11:22 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Any abrasion/friction wears down the surface the only question is how much. And even if the brush has zero friction there is still dirt you are moving around. Naturally no cleaner will put back finish that has been lost however Leatherique will remove dirt trapped in the creases.
If a soft toothbrush wears down the surface than we are all in trouble.
Probably the most respected car detailer. Wow he is using a brush.

Last edited by Freds430; 08-23-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 11:35 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Wow the second most respected car detailers and they are using the exact brush I posted.

Quick Reply: Seat leather repair?