Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus emblems fading

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 07:12 PM
DredLexx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus emblems fading

Fellas I need help, The Gold 'LEXUS' elblem(full text) on the back of my LEx is fading. Is there anything I can use to re-color or clean to bring it back to life. Or should i just replace it, even remove it?!? any suggestions
Old 07-22-03, 08:01 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Gold emblems on a Lexus are known to fade out in time, especially on an older model. Re-plating the affected emblems is one option, but there's no guarantee that it will eliminate the fading problem. My suggestion is to replace the emblems with the silver/chrome ones; they look clean, simple and durable.
Old 07-22-03, 09:31 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

That's what I did - A whole set of chrome emblems can be had for less than $70.00. Looks so clean. For another $6.00 I got a new antenna nut too.

Mike
Old 07-22-03, 10:11 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Where is it for less than $70?
Old 07-23-03, 06:29 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

This quote was from IronToad.com:
HERE ARE THE PRICE QUOTES YOU HAVE REQUESTED FOR YOUR 1993 SC400...
CHROME EMBLEMS...
FRONT L 75431-30220---$15.50
REAR L 75431-24010---$15.51
REAR "LEXUS" 75447-33050---$19.43
REAR "SC400" 75471-24150---$16.67
ANTENNA NUT 86396-50010---$7.21

Note that it's for the sc400 - $67.11 + shipping (w/o the antenna nut)

I believe Steve at Carlson Toyota's quote was even less... but I had already placed the order.

Metro Lexus out of Canada offers free shipping for $100+ orders and were also very responsive to my questions.

Good Luck!

Mike
Old 07-23-03, 06:36 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Preserving "Gold " emblems

Dred;
For your consideration. Have your dealer re-plate the affected emblems (price will vary by dealer), then coat the newly plated emblems with "Liquid Glass Wax". Use a "Q-Tip" to apply the wax, apply two or three coats. Your plated emblems will then look like new for years. I have a 98 4-Runner that I treated and the gold emblems still shine.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 07-23-03, 07:33 PM
DredLexx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot fellas, ya'll always come thru...since I do enjoy my gold elblems I will probably replate them. I think the gold elblems look better on a champange Lex, but If I am unable to replate them, I will juss replace them. thanks<
Old 07-24-03, 04:38 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is really difficult to imagine a luxury automobile company like Lexus making emblems that fade, and more especially for the sticker price for that option, in my opinion. I wanted the gold emblems but couldn't justify the cost, hard to believe they F a d e away in anything under 15 years or so for that price. If I had that problem I would really complain about faulty material and ask for replacement, they need to make more durable emblems for that price in my opinion.
Old 07-26-03, 04:16 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by parula
It is really difficult to imagine a luxury automobile company like Lexus making emblems that fade, and more especially for the sticker price for that option, in my opinion. I wanted the gold emblems but couldn't justify the cost, hard to believe they F a d e away in anything under 15 years or so for that price. If I had that problem I would really complain about faulty material and ask for replacement, they need to make more durable emblems for that price in my opinion.
Mother nature > Auto makers
Old 07-27-03, 05:13 AM
parula
Instructor

Stealther, if car companies can develop paints that barely fade after 10-15 years a top notch company like Lexus ought to be able to develop a nonfading emblem. The chrome ones don't f a d e so why should gold fade?

Gold is inert and will not oxidize or discolor under normal circumstances. Properly coated there is no reason a properly plated gold-plated emblem should ever change color imo. Does anyone know if Lexus uses real gold plating for these emblems or is it just a colored paint? I am glad I didn't spend the money for them now.
Old 08-09-03, 12:24 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Anyone want to tell this guy that every paint known to man fades after 10-15 years of mother nature?

Nothing in the books that make colored metal any different!
Old 08-11-03, 05:12 PM
parula
Instructor

LimoZeen: do you plate pure 24k Au or a coloration of Au? From what solution and what thickness? If so, what is the cost to put a few milligrams of Au or Rh on something? If the metal substrate is cleaned properly and the Au plated it should look great for a while. Plating technology is pretty well established.

Toysrme: Au will not normally tarnish except under extreme circumstances as far as I know. That is why it is used in harsh environs. Can anyone guess what a 24k gold ring looks like after 10 years?? Let alone one with a great clear coat on it? Should look like the real thing, let alone after a few years, in my opinion. Don't they plate the domes of capitals, I think and other things, make ciruits etc., with 24k gold or gold leaf for a reason guys. Gold leaf is relatively cheap actually because it is so thin. What's that liqueur with the gold leaf in it looking bright gold coloured? Maybe we are talking about degree of discoloration, but pure gold should have little, all other parameters equal I think.
Old 08-12-03, 04:06 PM
parula
Instructor

DredLexx, what year is your car and what model?
Old 08-12-03, 04:25 PM
parula
Instructor

limoZeen, thanks for the very informative post.

I fully agree, if people took better care of their cars and accessories each would last longer and look better!

I also think what you said about the wear of thinly plated objects is accurate, any reason why these pieces aren't coated? With coatings technology today I would think that something like a top notch clear coat would help extend the life, durability and appearance of the gold plate, and especially on items with outdoor exposure. I would think it would be better to make an accessory that needed a minor amount of care every 5 years or so to maintain it in its original condition than otherwise. I would gladly recoat my emblems every 5 years or so if instructed to do so, a car manufacturer could even include that for a minor charge in its routine 5 year/60k service!

While I know that gold is soft, the chrome emblems and trim look great for a long time and can be waxed for protection from corrosive conditions. Someone needs to figure out how to protect gold features too if they are to be used in outdoor conditions in my opinion. I'll check around on the inet and see if I can find something on this.
Old 08-13-03, 04:33 PM
parula
Instructor

LimoZeen: thanks, I'd love to covnert to GOLD, but I guess it's too late. I would take care ot it!

Are the emblems relatively easy to remove? Consider easy as relative to a low-tech mechanical person here!

FWIW I have a chrome colored emblem on 17 year-old Honda that looks great. I wax it, baby it, you know . ...

Can the gold be plated thicker, just a bit, and for what extra cost?

I would think that a carefully-lightly applied coat of good wax would help preserve the gold plate for many years.

Quick Reply: Lexus emblems fading