Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PakShak Towels

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 06:41 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PakShak Towels

Do the PakShak towels (Microfiber and Waffleweave) have a certain "lifetime" after which they become ineffective? Or does cleaning/laundering restore them completely?

I'm gonna place an order soon and I'd like to know if I should order big, or if a lesser amount will last a long while.

Also, I've seen the thread describing the CL discount from them. Anyone know if the discount is still available?
Old 07-29-03, 06:51 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the lifetime of them, but Daddy-O might fill us in. As long as you don't use fabric softener on them they should last a long while.

As for the CL pricing, I just emailed Ranney about an order and the prices seem to still be in effect.
Old 07-29-03, 07:35 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MF towels generally are advertised as good for 500 washes. Longevity is a non-issue.

I have 40 PakShak 16x16 Ultra Microfiber towels. I use them until I need to do a load in the washer. I usually go through the 40 in 3-4 weeks, so I'm washing 12-15 times per year. If I had 10 towels, Id be washing them 48-60 times a year.

So for me, it's not the longevity of the towel, it's how much time I want to spend washing towels. (As little as possible.)

I've found that the key to keeping them good as new is proper rinsing. MF towels are "grabby". Waxes, sealants detailer sprays and polishes will leave their residue in the towel. A good washing can remove this residue, but soap residue can get left behind. If you ever sense your towels are not performing up to snuff, wash them HOT with a detergent containing no perfumes or softeners (I use Tide) and then double or triple rinse...or even run the towels through another wash/rinse cycle with no soap. It really works to bring your towels back to being good as new. I line dry, as it cuts down on static electricity. No difference in softness compared to an electric dryer.

If you take care of one car, buy 20. You'll be glad you did. Once you get into the habit of using them, sometimes you feel like just don't have enough. That's why I bought 20 more. Plus 40 cheaper towels for door jambs, engine bay, wheels, etc.

Enjoy! Ranney Pak is the man. PakShak towels rule.
Old 07-30-03, 04:54 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Ack...one last note this morning. Launder your MF towels ny themselves. They will grab lint like a magnet. I don't worry about what I've used eash MF towel on. I just wash them all together. Never had any problems, as long as they've been rinsed well.

And as always, read the instructions that come with the product. Now, go buy some PakShak ultra micro-fiber towels. Take a look at his Waffle Weave Drying Towels, too. I love mine.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-03, 08:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I just purchased some towels from pakshak and cant wait to use them. Between the MF and waffleweave which ones should be used to dry off the car and which ones should be used to remove waxes?
Old 07-30-03, 09:28 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by GS300Rich
I just purchased some towels from pakshak and cant wait to use them. Between the MF and waffleweave which ones should be used to dry off the car and which ones should be used to remove waxes?
The waffle weave is for drying and MF's are for everything else. I've read the waffle is so absorbent that you just lay it on the wet car, you don't even have to wipe with it.
Old 07-31-03, 06:28 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Daddy-O
If you ever sense your towels are not performing up to snuff, wash them HOT with a detergent containing no perfumes or softeners (I use Tide) and then double or triple rinse...or even run the towels through another wash/rinse cycle with no soap. It really works to bring your towels back to being good as new.
I do this as well. Warm wash with a Tide, then a cold/cold wash with no soap at all. Tumble dry on low

Originally posted by Overclocker
I've read the waffle is so absorbent that you just lay it on the wet car, you don't even have to wipe with it.
Pretty close. Just a wipe or two after the CWB, and tha't all.
Old 07-31-03, 06:38 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

How many of the waffle weave towels will it take to dry the whole car? I havent used any of the towels yet as I just received them in the mail today. I must say that is excellent customer service I ordered them Saturday and received them today. Also what is good to apply the wax?
Old 07-31-03, 06:42 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS300Rich
How many of the waffle weave towels will it take to dry the whole car?
Old 08-10-03, 08:08 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, I received my order during the week and just had a chance to use them for the first time yesterday.

In my lengthy (20 years +) experience of drying cars by hand, I have never found anything that dries as completely and thoroughly as my PakShak microfiber towels (regular and waffleweave)!!

Let me say that again, for those that couldn't hear me:

In my lengthy (20 years +) experience of drying cars by hand, I have never found anything that dries as completely and thoroughly as my PakShak microfiber towels (regular and waffleweave)!!

I am in love with these towels. Ranney, you've got another order coming your way!!