Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dr. ColorChip

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 03:14 PM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dr. ColorChip

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php

anyone has any experience with this product. I have a few paint chips that I need to get rid off on my atomic silver f sport. Tia
Old 01-19-19, 07:27 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I use it. It's not perfect but I prefer it over traditional touch up paint. It's an easy way to mask chips but don't expect miracles but a good product overall.
Old 01-19-19, 08:04 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Not to discourage you in any way, but Atomic Silver has to be one of the most difficult paint colors to repaint, let alone touch-up (in the Lexus family but also in the entire maintstream automotive industry), I'd bet. Atomic Silver uses a 5-stage paint process so realistically, don't expect perfect results or a perfect color match. Just wanting to set your expectations realistically.
Old 01-19-19, 10:28 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I tried using that on the tri color white on my ct it didn't match that well since its a tri color. ima give it another try on my other car and see if its the same thing
Old 01-20-19, 08:36 AM
1Lieutenant
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used it on my Nebula Grey Pearl.
I think it works quite well and much better than traditional touch up paint.
The key to a “invisible “ touch up is not overfilling the chip. with Colorchip, the system makes it easy to fill the chip and wipe off the excess. The thing to understand is once the paint dries, it tends to be lower than the original paint. Looks ok from a distance but visible close up. Need to repeat the process multiple times until both are level. Then it becomes almost invisible.
Old 01-20-19, 10:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is WAAAAAY overpriced. I mean ridiculously overpriced for touchup paint. I got it when the price was pretty reasonable, still have some, it is not a miracle product, if you wipe it off/try to level it with the solution, it leaves more of a matte finish then a glossy finish.

The only real good thing about it is it is much easier to work with then regular touchup paint, if you make a mistake, you can just wipe it off with the solution and a rag, that is really about it. Back when it was new I would say it was worth the price just for being so much easier to work with even though the match/gloss is not as good as regular touchup but now it is just so ridiculously high priced I don't think it is worth paying so much. You could buy a can of matched urethane aerosol spray paint and a can Spraymax 2K clear for what you pay for Dr. Colorchip.
Old 01-20-19, 11:58 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been looking for touchup paint and found mixed reviews for Dr. ColorChip. I looked for Lexus OEM paint but it also has mixed reviews:
Amazon Amazon
. Not sure what is the best option. By the way, my 4GS is eminent white pearl (0085) which does not make life any easier.
Old 01-20-19, 12:38 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've use drcolorchip on my black paint and it matches perfect it's easier to use on smaller chips but larger ones are harder to fill. but I've been suggesting this to my friends who have asked. the smallest bottle is def enough to use for a while. I bought a medium and regret getting that much. also u can look into getting a paint pen dropper from amazon
Old 01-20-19, 01:17 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

I've used it before. I don't really care for it and I stick with the traditional touch-up from the dealer. Dr. Chip sells its products by advertising that its touch-up will be near perfect. In reality, it's only going to be so great and for me, I don't think it's anywhere worth the extra money over what you get from the dealer --- I'll just to regular paint, and a traditional brush. Paint chips are unavoidable.
Old 01-20-19, 04:31 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I use an artist writer pen to fill small amount of touch up paint. Great for filling smaller rock chips evenly. Then I follow up with some light buffing. Look perfect every time. Got the idea from AMMO NYC YouTube channel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YQM5CQ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's link to AMMO how-to video:
https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs

Last edited by jdpdata; 01-20-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 08:13 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
I have been looking for touchup paint and found mixed reviews for Dr. ColorChip. I looked for Lexus OEM paint but it also has mixed reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PZQB0JIH&psc=1. Not sure what is the best option. By the way, my 4GS is eminent white pearl (0085) which does not make life any easier.
Eminent White Pearl would be easier to match than Atomic Silver. Eminent White Pearl is a 3-stage paint process, Atomic Silver is a 5-stage paint process. So you've got that going for you.
Old 01-21-19, 10:00 AM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Works perfectly on my obsidian. Certainly overpriced for what it is but I definitely prefer it over traditional touch up paint.
Old 01-21-19, 05:18 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

black is always easy to touch up, and the easiest to repaint as it hides well.

I think most folks don't use touch up paint properly, because it is not as simple as applying it and letting it dry.
you still need to compound sand and buff it smooth to really blend it in, and understandably no one has any time for that (plus much more delicate on non-metallic surfaces like the bumper).

drcolorchip worked ok for me, but the way it was marketed it did not meet my expectations as far as performance and application. color match was spot on at least!
Old 01-22-19, 08:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

LOL. My blue is impossible to touch up. Just not gonna happen. Anything that takes more than 2 sets of pens/colors is going to look horrible. May as well just throw the car in the trash.
Old 01-23-19, 09:47 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Worked great on my SGM GS460. Can't really tell where it was applied unless you get up close.

Quick Reply: Dr. ColorChip