Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove swirls and fine scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 10:20 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove swirls and fine scratches

I have a black 99 GS4. as you know black is one of the hardest colors to keep niceand clean. I have a nice amount of swirls and fine lines in my paint what is the best way to get rid of these marks. wax it or what to use or any thing that can be of help i love how my car looks at night but during the day it dont look to hot
Old 08-06-03, 01:08 AM
B-Lexusfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet is to put your car in the hands of someone who knows how to use a Porter Cable buffer. I've got minor swirls on my Grey Graphite IS that I tried to get out by hand. Needless to say I had no luck at all. The only real way to get them out is with a PC. Good luck.
Old 08-06-03, 07:38 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

The absolute best is 3M Perfect-it Swirl Mark remover for dark cars. Don't use a buffer, this stuff is great by hand. The porter buffer is excellent from all the reviews. Get very good towels for this job and lots of them. Follow by using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze then wax with a good wax. I use either Blitz or Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. You will not believe how good a black car will look. It has a deep wet 3D black look.

I am going to post pictures of my 92 SC300 BLACK 5-Speed in a few weeks

A good site for products is autogeek.net

Malcolm
Old 08-06-03, 11:11 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Zaino Brothers products....they have one specifically for swirl marks. Mail order only.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Pete
Old 08-06-03, 11:43 AM
Hudini
Lead Lap

I bought a $20 orbital type from costco in westminster,CA and used it on my black Camry and WOW!!!!!!!! That and used the Meguiar's 3 stage cleaner/polish/wax and the car's is beautiful. Swirls and surface scratches gone..........
Old 08-07-03, 01:15 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

follow zaino's instructions.. i believe it was first wash your car with Dawn to remove the wax then claybar your whole car to remove dirt and contaminants like brake dust (the clay bar also makes your car feel 10x smoother). Wash your car again to remove the clay.. then wax. After your done your car will feel like it's brand new. Lemme change that... Even better than brand new. For example.. I have a 93 sc300 and my friend has a (2003) 3.2 tl-s. After i did my car with claybar and wax and he only did his with wax. His car felt like sandpaper compared to my car. Claybar makes a world of difference. I used a cheap brand too.. Mother's Gold or something? It also removed a lot of swirls and minor scratches. It's definately worth the 5 hours of work lol. hahaha. Good luck

P.s I had 1 layer of wax and my friend had 3. Same wax.
Old 08-07-03, 01:19 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea i forgot to mention zaino is the best.. i don't care what other people say. it last the longest and shines the brightest. although i didn't use zaino this time (i ran out) my car would have looked even nicer. i'm 100 percent sure of it. Zaino also requires the most work imo. THere is so much stuff before you actually wax your car lol. Well worth it in the end if you ask me. Also it is VERY expensive. Order a complete kit and you will see what i mean. A kit only last you maybe 2-3 waxings. At most 4 if you go cheap... real cheap.
Old 08-08-03, 11:04 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

just curious, for those who has black Lexus, are they clear coated?

somehow mine is clear coated, I think. and I do have lots of swirls so I used Porter Cable with Meg's Dual Action Polish cleaner. I can't get rid of swirls . I tried twice. I also used Meg's #9 and applied wax after all.
still no good result. so I'm thinking my previous owner repainted with clear coat and swirls are existed before he added clear coating..this is just my guess but I thinking that's why I can't get rid of those swirls..what do u think? I really wanna get rid of those swirls.. any idea?
Old 08-09-03, 06:47 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Taka
just curious, for those who has black Lexus, are they clear coated?

somehow mine is clear coated, I think. and I do have lots of swirls so I used Porter Cable with Meg's Dual Action Polish cleaner. I can't get rid of swirls . I tried twice. I also used Meg's #9 and applied wax after all.
still no good result. so I'm thinking my previous owner repainted with clear coat and swirls are existed before he added clear coating..this is just my guess but I thinking that's why I can't get rid of those swirls..what do u think? I really wanna get rid of those swirls.. any idea?
Lexus cars with original factory black paint have NO clearcoat at all. If you haven't tried already, I suggest using a bottle of 3M Swirl Mark remover. Works great, and you can make the area(s) shinier by using some rubbing compound.
Old 08-10-03, 11:45 AM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

There are different levels of swirls that can be found on a car. Which will determine the products you will use. Products can be compounds, swirl removers, PC (Portal Cable 7336 w/6" backing plate), pads, etc.

Personally, I have found good success with Meguiar's, 3M, P21S/S100, and Poorboy's product lines. They all carry different products with different levels of aggressiveness.

For light swirls I use the following products.
1. Meguiar's #9 SMR or 3M SMR (light or dark) or Poorboy's SSR1 - PC with yellow pad
2. S100 SEPC or Poorboy's Professional Polish - PC with white pad

For medium swirls I the following products.
1. Meguiar's DACP or Poorboy's SSR3 - PC with yellow pad
2. Meguiar's #9 SMR or 3M SMR (light or dark) or SSR1 - PC with white or orange pad
3. S100 SEPC or Poorboy's Professional Polish - PC with white pad

For heavy swirls I us the following products.
1. 3M Finesse It-II - PC with yellow pad or wool pad (caution should be used whenever using wool pads)
2. Meguiar's DACP or Poorboy's SSR3 - PC with yellow pad or orange pad
3. Meguiar's #9 SMR or 3M SMR (light or dark) or SSR1 - PC with white or orange pad
4. S100 SEPC or Poorboy's Professional Polish - PC with white pad

Then, follow-up with your favorite wax , polymer, or sealant.

With Aloha,
Ranney

Last edited by PakShak; 08-10-03 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 01:48 PM
DougS68
Driver School Candidate

Ok, this is likely the most bourgeois response here, but you may as well have it. I have a black on black '95 LS400 and the paint is alawys a hassle to keep clean, swirl free. I used Nu-Finish a few months ago and swirls are gone. I usually use Meguires cleaner wax, but the Nu-Finish got rid of it all, and has really lasted. 2 months so far with the rain beadig up. (I live in Seattle... we got rain.

I am really excited to try the clay bar approach on the hood though. --Good luck!
Old 08-14-03, 10:13 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Well my brother works..

at a high-end body shop where they exclusively cater to Ferraris, Lex's, Bimmers, Benzos and what not. He's one of the top detailers there and he recommends Malco Rejuvenator...he said it works wonders on a cars fiinish escpecially on black cars. I've seen before and after on black cars and to tell you the truth it looked like it totally diminished whatever swirl marks and spider-webs that were visible in the finish.

Here's a picture of my bro's car after a full detail and using Malco's Rejuvenator

Oh and by the way, that's OEM paint it's about 10-11 yrs old now since the car is a 93 and it has never been re-painted...only the front bumper where it was in a fender bender a while back.

Regards,

-Seize

Last edited by Seize; 08-14-03 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-14-03, 10:57 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: Well my brother works..

Originally posted by Seize
at a high-end body shop where they exclusively cater to Ferraris, Lex's, Bimmers, Benzos and what not. He's one of the top detailers there and he recommends Malco Rejuvenator...he said it works wonders on a cars fiinish escpecially on black cars. I've seen before and after on black cars and to tell you the truth it looked like it totally diminished whatever swirl marks and spider-webs that were visible in the finish.

Here's a picture of my bro's car after a full detail and using Malco's Rejuvenator

Oh and by the way, that's OEM paint it's about 10-11 yrs old now since the car is a 93 and it has never been re-painted...only the front bumper where it was in a fender bender a while back.

Regards,

-Seize
What a showroom shine!!!
Old 08-14-03, 11:27 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Well my brother works..

Originally posted by Seize

[
where do you get that stuff
Old 08-14-03, 04:02 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default LEXISM..

It should be available at detail/reconditioning shops. Here in San Diego my bro gets it from Tri City Paint.

Here's a link

http://www.tricitypaint.com

Hope this helps.

-Seize

Quick Reply: How to remove swirls and fine scratches