Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Your cleaning set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 01:49 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Your cleaning set-up?

Hey guys,
Spring is here and I wanted to know what are your set up or recommendation for all your cleaning and ones that I should stay far away.

Exterior (Wax, polish, detail) -
Engine bay -
Soap -
Wheels -
Carpet -
Dashboard -
Center Console -
Windows -
Interior door panels -
Headlights -
Leather seats -
Cleaning utilities -

Thanks
Old 03-21-19, 08:04 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't clean my car as much as I should. I only use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, Lexus branded (?) leather cleaner and conditioner, and Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer.
Old 03-25-19, 07:21 AM
LexusWest
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My current products... Keep in mind I did have a ceramic coating applied about 6 months ago- Opti Coat Plus

Exterior (Wax, polish, detail) - Use Optimum No Rinse to wash car, pre-treat with Opti-clean and then use Hyper Seal while drying car with my wide assortment of micro fiber towels. I use detail spray/opti clean between washes
Engine bay - currently do not use- car is only 8 months old- interested in what others do for engine bay
Soap - see above
Wheels - I clean with ONR and also Optimum power clean- my wheels were also coated
Carpet - vacuum only so far
Dashboard - microfiber towel- slightly damp
Center Console - same as above
Windows - I have used Invisible glass but just yesterday i used Adams for first time -
Interior door panels - microfiber towel with McKees 37 interior cleaner
Headlights - ONR
Leather seats - Lexol and also Optimum leather cleaner
Cleaning utilities -

I try really hard not to buy too many products- not easy. :-)

Old 03-25-19, 08:38 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Use hyper seal to clean windows. Works great.
Old 03-25-19, 05:08 PM
WayneLaR1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

See below for my line up.

Originally Posted by IamLexus
Hey guys,
Spring is here and I wanted to know what are your set up or recommendation for all your cleaning and ones that I should stay far away.

Exterior (Wax, polish, detail) - Meguiars #16 Paste Wax, Poorboys SSR, Poorboys Spray & Gloss
Engine bay - N/A
Soap - Honeydew Snow Foam, Poorboys Super Slick & Suds
Wheels - Sonax Full Effect
Carpet - Poorboys APC as needed
Dashboard - Meguiars Interior Detailer
Center Console - same
Windows - Stoner's Invisible Glass
Interior door panels - Meguiars Interior Detailer
Headlights - N/A
Leather seats - Lexol
Cleaning utilities - Poorboys APC

Thanks
Old 03-26-19, 03:51 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Ammo NYC- blows away ONR on every level. Period!
Old 03-28-19, 12:25 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Exterior (Wax, polish, detail) - ONR, Optimum Spray Wax, Meguiars M105 and 205, list goes on in this category
Engine bay - ONR Power Clean
Soap - ONR
Wheels - Adams Wheel Cleaner
Carpet - NA
Dashboard - ONR
Center Console - ONR
Windows - Griots Garage Window Cleaner
Interior door panels - ONR
Headlights - ONR
Leather seats - Leatherique
Cleaning utilities -NA

Last edited by 3nergiz3d; 03-28-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 12:27 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Ammo NYC- blows away ONR on every level. Period!
He does have some great products, but being in Canada.. it really marks up the price.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-29-19)
Old 03-28-19, 02:04 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Dawn dishwashing liquid
Old 03-28-19, 05:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
He does have some great products, but being in Canada.. it really marks up the price.
I don't know about his products but he is one of the worst detailer I have ever seen. And before people get all riled up I will explain, not that he generally does bad work it's he doesn't work smart. One of his vids he spent at least 12 hours trying to fill and touch up a scratch that ran from the front all the way to the back of the vehicle. Give it up man, that requires a repaint. His results were awful. Another vid I watched he for some odd reason wet sanded nearly an entire car even though clearly it was not needed. Another one he talked about detailing in the winter and gave us the infinite wisdom that water freezes at below zero. There is no finesse to what he does.

Many other examples I would not let him work on my car.
Old 03-28-19, 07:20 PM
nquinn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought these cleaning supplies a long time ago but they've worked pretty well:

Exterior (Wax, polish, detail) - Meguiars crystal wash, clay bar, then Duragloss 105 sealant. When I first bought the car I also used a random orbital polisher + Menzerna polish to make it look like new. In winter months a lot of people like collinite 845 since it lasts forever.
Engine bay - Don't do much here, but use some 303 UV spray to wipe things off
Wheels - nothing
Carpet - nothing, just vacuum
Dashboard - 303 UV protectant spray (acts like sunscreen for your car!)
Center Console -
Windows - whatever windex I have, or invisible glass (which I didn't think was -that- much better)
Interior door panels - 303 spray
Headlights - I used a 3M polishing kit to clean it, then just applied some carnuba wax on top
Leather seats - Lexol leather conditioner and cleaner
Cleaning utilities - Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher + pads. Clay bar. Microfiber mitt & bucket. Painters tape to cover seams when cleaning.
Old 03-29-19, 04:26 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool WTH & To Each Their Own

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Dawn dishwashing liquid
You are totally joking on this one - right Anthony???

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't know about his products but he is one of the worst detailer I have ever seen. And before people get all riled up I will explain, not that he generally does bad work it's he doesn't work smart. One of his vids he spent at least 12 hours trying to fill and touch up a scratch that ran from the front all the way to the back of the vehicle. Give it up man, that requires a repaint. His results were awful. Another vid I watched he for some odd reason wet sanded nearly an entire car even though clearly it was not needed. Another one he talked about detailing in the winter and gave us the infinite wisdom that water freezes at below zero. There is no finesse to what he does.
Many other examples I would not let him work on my car.
I don't doubt your claim whatsoever, and I'm actually surprised as well. That's insanity! However, the videos Ive witnessed have all been spot on, and educational for sure. NO ONE can be worse on videos than Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage though! His voice drones on and on so long it puts you to sleep. Had a rather unprofessional communication exchange with him, therefore I wouldn't buy a sticker from this guy-ever! There are so many different YouTube Wanna-Be's out there doing ridiculous Auto Care videos. That "Junk Man" character is so silly I cant help but laugh. Video's aside, I honestly find that Ammo NYC gear has been the most eye opening, shockingly awesome Waterless Wash EVER! Never in a million years would I believe we would be able to seriously clean a dirty car without the use of water! His "Hoseless Lift Kit" provided me with a technique I REALLY found to work better than ONR EVER did before! How much easer could it be by Spraying on the Foam, and wiping it off w 6 of the Microfiber Towels that come w the Kit. Right meow there is a "Group Buy" request happening with Larry/Ammo NYC and our Lexus RCF Facebook group! Hoping this all works out in the end too. The stuff truly is THAT GOOD!
Old 04-11-19, 10:27 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
You are totally joking on this one - right Anthony???

I don't doubt your claim whatsoever, and I'm actually surprised as well. That's insanity! However, the videos Ive witnessed have all been spot on, and educational for sure. NO ONE can be worse on videos than Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage though! His voice drones on and on so long it puts you to sleep. Had a rather unprofessional communication exchange with him, therefore I wouldn't buy a sticker from this guy-ever! There are so many different YouTube Wanna-Be's out there doing ridiculous Auto Care videos. That "Junk Man" character is so silly I cant help but laugh. Video's aside, I honestly find that Ammo NYC gear has been the most eye opening, shockingly awesome Waterless Wash EVER! Never in a million years would I believe we would be able to seriously clean a dirty car without the use of water! His "Hoseless Lift Kit" provided me with a technique I REALLY found to work better than ONR EVER did before! How much easer could it be by Spraying on the Foam, and wiping it off w 6 of the Microfiber Towels that come w the Kit. Right meow there is a "Group Buy" request happening with Larry/Ammo NYC and our Lexus RCF Facebook group! Hoping this all works out in the end too. The stuff truly is THAT GOOD!
Not to bash you Gunny, but you're shilling hard on the Ammo guy(s). I'm not fully biased to one particular brand as certain product(s) work better than others within a manufacturer's own respective product lines. I find what works for the surface and/or situation and apply as such.

Also, keep in mind that many companies don't make their own products and you're buying re-bottled / re-labeled / re-branded products that are sold on hype and marketing.
Old 04-11-19, 12:11 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

LOL. One never knows the "Full" Truth eh?
Old 04-11-19, 01:24 PM
dtwolf
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default .....

What is the order to doing which first. Does one polish, wax, clay bar. And what is the purpose of doing a clay bar.

Quick Reply: Your cleaning set-up?