Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How quickly does wax/sealant last with future washes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 07:30 PM
nquinn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How quickly does wax/sealant last with future washes?

Curious if you always wax your car after every wash?

I'd ideally like to wax/seal my car just 2-3 times a year, and give it monthly washes or so to keep it clean.
Does a typical wash soap strip the sealant/wax quickly?

Currently use Duragloss 105 for my sealant and just some cheap meguiars crystal wash for the soap.
Old 03-28-19, 07:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Meguairs crystal wash is (believe it or not) some of the best out there available at retail stores. Its what I use in every case except for when I am using my foam cannon.
Old 03-28-19, 08:16 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (a.k.a. D156 in their Detailer's line) to refresh my sealant after every wash. This is a WOWO sealant that leaves the surface slick and dirt doesn't get much of a grip so washing is easier. Takes about 15 minutes to do a vehicle.
Old 03-29-19, 06:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

You could do a paint coat which lasts about 1-5 years depending on whether you go consumer grade vs pro detailer.

I use Optimum Opti-Seal which is a wipe on, walk away sealant on a monthly basis. Takes about 10 minutes after a wash to apply and lasts a couple months.
Old 03-29-19, 09:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by nquinn

I'd ideally like to wax/seal my car just 2-3 times a year, and give it monthly washes or so to keep it clean.

Currently use Duragloss 105 for my sealant and just some cheap meguiars crystal wash for the soap.
Car Wash is designed to not strip away waxes or sealants though even with a car wash durability of a sealant/wax will fall somewhat the more a car is washed.

It is almost impossible to really tell how long a wax or sealant stays on a finish, there are many variables about how long they last too like being outside, how many times washed, etc. Many go by if it still beads water but there are some factors where it may not bead water or bead as much but it is still on your car protecting it in some way.

In general, your basic auto store Car waxes/sealants probably last a couple weeks or so to a month or two, sealants will last longer then waxes in most cases.

When you step up to higher end sealants and waxes you normally have to order from detailing sites or Amazon like Collinite 476S, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Zaino, and the others they generally last 3 to 6 months, maybe longer in some cases like being in a garage more.

Some of the specialty higher end sealants that are pricey like GTechniq Exo can last a year or two if properly applied.

Then you have ceramic coatings like Opti Coat, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, etc that can last several years if properly applied.

If you just want to wax your car like 2 or 3 times a year I would go with something like Collinite 476S or Blackfire Wet Diamond or sealants in that category that are relatively inexpensive and give you several months of durability, are easy to apply and remove,, something you have to order from Amazon or a detailing store like Auto Geek, Detailing Image, etc there are many new ones out there I have not tried as I have gone with ceramic coatings for the past few years but I know those are proven as I have used them over and over.

Last edited by UDel; 03-29-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 05:26 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 940 Likes on 576 Posts

No.. that's not necessary.

That's a solid plan, but I would prefer to wash twice monthly, at a minimum.

No, doubtful. Almost all car wash soaps are formulated so they will not strip wax and sealants.That cheap Meguiars Crystal Wash (I prefer inexpensive) is considered a good soap by many detailers, continue using it. I used it for many years and when it ran out, I spent a couple of extra bucks and upgraded to Meg's Gold Glass soap.

Don't know much about 105 other than it's an All in One wax and cleaner. I used a similar product, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax for 10+ years on my last car, twice yearly, and it kept the paint clean and glossy. Everyone, non-car guys, always commented how good the paint looked and always thought the car was newer than it was.

You have a good plan, but if you want to up it a bit, add a spray wax like Meg's Ultimate Spray Wax as a drying aid, spray it on as you dry the car. It will help add a little protection between washes and your waxing regimen. It will also add shine and gloss... a lot of bang for not much buck$.
Old 03-29-19, 05:32 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 940 Likes on 576 Posts

BTW... what make, model and year is your car? Don't want to spend $$$ if you're treating an older car, with paint that's already worn and/or oxidized.