Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 02:07 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

I was curious on everyone's thoughts about which leather cleaners and conditioners they prefer?
Old 05-11-19, 02:11 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Old 05-11-19, 02:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Old 05-11-19, 02:28 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bsavage
I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Really? I always thought because I didn't condition the leather seats on my Acura, that is what contributed to them cracking.
Old 05-11-19, 02:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
Old 05-11-19, 06:07 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,165 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
I second it. Easy to apply and remove. Follow up with their leather in a bottle.
Old 05-11-19, 06:14 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been very happy with the Griots leather cleaner and conditioner.
Old 05-11-19, 06:45 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the responses. I’ll do more research on the products recommended. And as far as the user manual instructions go, is that what you do with your leather? It’s an 05 LS430, I guess I should of stated that lol. Although in great shape I don’t think it’s really a “new surface” as far as the leather goes.

Last edited by RicoBoy; 05-11-19 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-13-19, 06:29 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Leaterique, hands down. Zaino makes great products as well, but I've used both, and Leatherique does an incredible job with restoring leather.
Old 05-15-19, 04:13 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

one of the best out there
pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner

pinnacle leather condtioner

as fyi with the older ls 430;s and 400's you need to be careful to apply not with a lot of rubbing or scrubbing
and also the steering wheel is sensitive to cleaners so go cautiously
Old 05-17-19, 06:25 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
Since the urethane finish will wear off eventually, will there be a visual indication?
Old 07-16-19, 09:17 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Had my 2002 LS430 for 10 years now, and it is now 17 years from the in-service date. I prep and clean the leather by vacuuming thoroughly and then wiping it clean with Zaino Leather Cleaner whenever it gets dirty (like after a camping trip). After the leather is cleaned, I moisturize it using Zaino Leather Conditioner. My semi-aniline seats (Ultra Luxury) are in excellent condition and still super soft like new after my 10 years of use. The Zaino products also smell like good clean authentic leather oils - not overpowering, no strong solvent smells, and shouldn't give you a headache, unlike other products I've smelled.

Base model LS430 has standard leather, so a conditioner/moisturizer probably wouldn't be absorbed very well due to the thicker coat layer - would need a much longer soak time than semi-aniline. Standard leather has a top coat, a color coat, a base coat, and a thin leather layer. Semi-aniline doesn't have the 3rd coat (base coat), and instead has a thinner top coat + color coat, and a thicker leather layer.
Old 07-16-19, 09:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Whether it is regular or semi aniline I don't think any conditioner is actually making it to the actual leather or past the protective barrier. If spilling water on it or other liquids don't make a stain/get immediately absorbed then the protection it has is likely stopping the conditioner from reaching it too though maybe the areas were the stitching is could absorb some. Full aniline leather will absorb conditioner, it will also easily stain and would be a pain to take care of in your car which is why it is basically never used in car interiors. Leather Conditioners/cleaners still clean the surface, take away stains on the surface above the protective layer, and maybe even soften the protective coating so they still may be some use but I don't think it is that critical what conditioner you use or the need to condition it, cleaning the leather is probably the most important thing.