Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Sources & make/brand of Touch-up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:38 AM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Sources & make/brand of Touch-up Paint

Have any of you used paints from automotivetouchup.com ? Or Duplicolor from/via Auto Parts stores i.e. Advance, Autozone, whatever?
Otherwise: what works and what does not work well? I have a 13 RX350 and a 2007 4runner - over in the 4runner forum I see some negative feedback on Duplicolor that has my staying clear of that one, but I am having trouble finding source other than Dealer for Cashmere Satin 4U7. I had thought Toyota dealers could do both but apparently that is not so. I have checked the various providers on Amazon, and customer feedback, and not seeing a good choice there either.

Anyone know the real maker of the paint that Lexus resells?

thanx
C
Old 05-20-19, 09:34 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

I like automotivetouchup.com. Been ordering their half-ounce touch-up bottles for years and they have always been a perfect match, including for my wife's silver 2015 RX350. We currently have four vehicles, and I have a bottle for each one. As I said, a perfect match every time.
Old 05-20-19, 02:22 PM
cognus
Rookie

sounds good. i assume it "clear coats" as well?
Old 05-22-19, 03:44 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone use touchupdirect.com?
Old 05-23-19, 10:08 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought three (3) kits from Dr.ColorChip and ALL of them matched the OEM paint perfectly!
Lexus Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue 2.0 were spot on w metallic in it, and the best thing is that its so simple to use too!
Dr. ColorChip
Old 05-24-19, 02:35 PM
cognus
Rookie

Did you use the whole 3 step kit?

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I bought three (3) kits from Dr.ColorChip and ALL of them matched the OEM paint perfectly!
Lexus Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue 2.0 were spot on w metallic in it, and the best thing is that its so simple to use too!
Dr. ColorChip
Old 05-24-19, 03:02 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cognus
Did you use the whole 3 step kit?
Hmm. Not really sure about the 3 Steps, but I did follow the directions word for word. Maybe you're right, Prep, Paint, Smear? Heck I dont recall but it was picture book clarity and match.
Hope that helps. Matter of fact I need to break it out for a scratch on my RCF.
Old 06-03-19, 02:57 PM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always gone to the dealer since I trust them to be the most accurate and the price difference with aftermarket is negligible.
Old 06-04-19, 03:48 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cognus
sounds good. i assume it "clear coats" as well?
IIRC, they are basically single stage, as in paint (pigment) and clear coat in one. I have two (2) kits from Dr. Colorchip, but have yet to use either. Will use both in time, but have overall heard and read good reviews on the Dr. C kits.

Looks like it's GunnyFitz approved as well (Hoorah).
Old 06-04-19, 04:17 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

What's the best way to deal with a chip about 3/32 to 1/8 in diameter with some rust?

Paint layer is totally gone with gray primer exposed. It is right on the leading edge of the roof, just above the windshield where the roof rolls over at the window opening. With a magnifying glass I can see faint rust on the primer. It is almost in the middle of the windshield which makes it one of the most difficult places to work.

I have Starfire pearl paint which I understand is a three stage paint, base, pearl & clear. It looks rather thick. Trying to get in there and sand down to the rust and fill it in without damaging a lot of good paint seems difficult.
Old 06-04-19, 04:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Hopefully there is not rust under the glass this tends to happen when windshield shops scrape off the old sealant and in the process expose bare metal. Get a fiberglass pen to clean up the chip, then paint.
Old 06-05-19, 03:40 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
What's the best way to deal with a chip about 3/32 to 1/8 in diameter with some rust?

Paint layer is totally gone with gray primer exposed. It is right on the leading edge of the roof, just above the windshield where the roof rolls over at the window opening. With a magnifying glass I can see faint rust on the primer. It is almost in the middle of the windshield which makes it one of the most difficult places to work.

I have Starfire pearl paint which I understand is a three stage paint, base, pearl & clear. It looks rather thick. Trying to get in there and sand down to the rust and fill it in without damaging a lot of good paint seems difficult.
SFP and CWP are both 3 stage paints and one of the hard ones to touch up, I have one of each. Sanding the chip is difficult as you'll probably end up damaging more of the area in an effort to remove the rust, which is ferrous oxidation and can be taken care of in a different manner prior to fixing the chip.

Pics are always helpful for a repair of this kind and I agree that's a tricky spot to fix.