Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Perhaps no more Front Plates in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 09:36 AM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Perhaps no more Front Plates in Texas?

FYI, in the Texas Legislature, House Bill 673 has been drafted by State Representative Ken King (R-District 88) that would exempt 'Luxury' vehicles from needing to display a licence plate on the front bumper.

Here's the rub, the base price of 'luxury' vehicles is $60,000 or more. If passed, the law will take effect on September 1, 2019.

Being one of 31 states requiring the display of licence plates on the front bumper, this bill, if passed, will go a long way to improving the appearance of our Lexus cars.

Notably, Representative King owns and drives a Corvette, so he has a dog in this hunt.

But we need to contact Representative King, if it's not too late, and put in for an amendment to include cars of all prices in this bill.
Old 06-15-19, 06:33 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to get your hopes up, Texans. Looks like HR 673 was referred to the Transportation Committee. With the legislative session adjourned, and the Governor set to sign the last bills tomorrow on 6/16/2019, looks like we'll have to keep putting tags on our front bumper or face a $200 misdemeanor violation.

Another house bill that didn't make it was HR 688 which would have allowed display of the front tag inside your front windshield.

Maybe in the next legislative session.....
Old 08-28-19, 10:19 AM
nateboussa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not expect anything different than to "tow the line."

I never had any issue in the Ferrari in East Texas, or when I drove it to Dallas or Houston. I routinely got pulled over in my other cars that did not have a front plate, regardless of location. I now have a plate on the front of all my cars (sold the Ferrari.)

Last edited by nateboussa; 08-29-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 11:07 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Never give up the fight.

Ohio just passed a new bill this summer to get rid of front plates in our state. The argument came from several angles. For one all the states that border with Ohio don’t have a front plate requirement, so it was always undesirable for other states dealerships and consumers to take Ohio cars in on trade or buy them from our auctions. Which the result was less commerce and profits for our states dealerships

Others complained the fact that many new cars have advanced safety sensors cameras and this metal plate will interfere with the sensors as we approach a era of autonomous cars.

The final and the most important argument was that studies show front plates don’t help law enforcement capture criminals any easier then states that don’t require them. Plus the amount of money the state spends every year on making front plates is millions of dollars that could go towards fixing our states crumbling infrastructure.
Old 08-31-19, 07:27 AM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Plate

I never had any issue in the Ferrari in East Texas, or when I drove it to Dallas or Houston. I routinely got pulled over in my other cars that did not have a front plate, regardless of location. I now have a plate on the front of all my cars (sold the Ferrari.)

Not a luxury car driver but have never had an issue in North Texas not using the front plate. (knock on wood!!!)

******* ***** *******[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-19, 11:07 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

So what happens when the vehicle depreciates below $60k? Do you ride around with the MSRP sticker to prove the base value? This is a stupid proposal.