Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PPF & Ceramic Coat on the new GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19 | 12:44 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Default PPF & Ceramic Coat on the new GS?

Hello everyone!
Yesterday I've picked up a new 19 GS F-Sport (questionable decision) and now I would like to hear some insight on protecting the car paint ovreall. That being said, I plan to do the following:
1. Xpel/PPF the front bumper and head light only.
2. Ceramic coat the whole car (My 1st question is that is it doable for me to do this myself and save some money AND how/what is the process of DYI And How much to have it done professionaly? My 2nd question is that is it neccessary to do Cremic coat on a brand new car or wait couple year down the line and have it paint corrected and Ceramic Coat and all of those good stuff?
3. Tint windows ( Surprisingly, it does not come with factory rear windows tinted...)
4. Caliper Panted (this is would not be soon but will do eventualy)
5. Door edge protector and scratch protector for door handles.
6. ANY other suggestion AT ALL should be done to the car will be all greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance everyone!
Old 08-02-19 | 04:49 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I would go ahead and correct the paint now if needed and then C coat and Xpel it. What color is your GS? I had to correct my 18 which is Caviar when I bought new due to minor scratches. I use Adam's ceramic spray which is super user friendly. Just don't C coat sections that will be covered in PPF, it's not needed. Adam's has great vids. for getting started that should answer all your questions. I'm very pleased with the Xpel on mine. You can C coat the Xpel after it's installed.
Old 08-02-19 | 05:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I would recommend Xpel on the full hood, side mirror caps, and front bumper. Then ceramic coat everything(you can do it yourself, hardest part is prep, just time consuming). The lower part of the hood is just as prone to rock chips as the front bumper.
Old 08-02-19 | 09:14 AM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I would recommend Xpel on the full hood, side mirror caps, and front bumper. Then ceramic coat everything(you can do it yourself, hardest part is prep, just time consuming). The lower part of the hood is just as prone to rock chips as the front bumper.
Thank you for your inputs. Is full or half fender PPF neccessary?
Old 08-02-19 | 09:30 AM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by charley95
I would go ahead and correct the paint now if needed and then C coat and Xpel it. What color is your GS? I had to correct my 18 which is Caviar when I bought new due to minor scratches. I use Adam's ceramic spray which is super user friendly. Just don't C coat sections that will be covered in PPF, it's not needed. Adam's has great vids. for getting started that should answer all your questions. I'm very pleased with the Xpel on mine. You can C coat the Xpel after it's installed.
THank you! very helpful insights. Will have it PPF first b4 C coat.
Old 08-02-19 | 10:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by RX18dv
Thank you for your inputs. Is full or half fender PPF neccessary?
I had partial PPF applied to my CX-9 (SUV). I have the front bumper, front part of the hood, part of the front fenders and side mirror caps done. After a year and a half of driving, I wish that I would have gotten the whole hood, both of the front fenders, the A-pillars, and the front part of the roof done as well. I say this because I've got a few rock chips on the hood and fenders, and a tiny rock chip on one of the A-pillars. Also, I don't like that I can see the line where the PPF stops in the middle of the roof.

With the lower profile of the GS, I would personally spring for the whole hood, bumper, A-pillars, front edge of roof, mirror caps, headlights, and all of the chrome trim. For the fenders, I wouldn't say that full PPF is necessary, you'll probably be ok with just partial, but I'd go with full fender coverage just because it looks better.
Old 08-03-19 | 03:50 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I had my rockers and 1/2 way up my doors covered too. I'd say the more you can afford to cover the better. Some people cover their complete car.
Old 08-05-19 | 09:18 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Research X 10

Had a Full Suntek Ultra PPF and CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating done on my RC-F
Did extensive research on both before deciding. Xpel does have a better "Self Healing" property to it, but Suntek is known for bringing out the color more. If a quality film guy is doing the PPF I would definitely recommend going with a CC that only Professional Detailers can obtain - not OTC.

*Those Wheels are long gone for set of BC Forged. Also, thinking on another GS for wife. VERY curious if they intend on stopping it next year as they already did in Europe. Love to know if 2020 will be any different. The GS is a perfect car IMHO. RCF is NOT my DD !

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 08-05-19 at 09:22 AM.