Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Quick Detail Sprays - For or Against?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 10:45 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick Detail Sprays - For or Against?

Just curious - I have collected a number of quick detail sprays that are supposed to restore the "just waxed" appearance of my Lex... but I never use them much. I wash them at least once per week and clay, polish and wax quarterly...

To me, it just doesn't seem right to spay this stuff over a carnuba based wax.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-17-03, 12:46 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I use a detail spary on a daily basis...

In conjucntion with dusting it about 10X's a day. Since I live in So Cal and it's the summer time I haven't washed my car in over 2 months and it's still hella clean..Oh how I love southern cali!

I doubt I'll be washing my car anytime soon. Granted the weather stays like this.

Anyhow I use Malco's Showroom Shine. It's really easy to use and you can even use it in the sun just make sure you have a microfiber handy!

Regards,

-Seize
Old 08-17-03, 01:04 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Detailer sprays (QD) are a regular part of my car care. If you're a carnauba user, then Pinnacle Crystal Mist, or One Grand Showtime are perfect for you. They contain carnauba and will enhance your finish. Please note, though, that use of these products in hot, direct sun may result in streaking.

Locally, Mother's Showtime, Meguiar's #34 and Eagle One Wipe & Shine are all fine products.

I am currently using ClearKote Quik Shine...It is the best I've ever used. It leave my paint feeling like butter, resists fingerprints and does not pick up as much dust as other QD's.
http://www.clearkote.net

QD? Two big thumbs up.
Old 08-17-03, 05:49 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Thusly inspired, and having nothing else left to detail - I used some Mother's Showtime on my wife's LS today. It was left over from a clay bar kit. That stuff smells just like "red hots" - Seemed to do a nice job though.

I guess my reservation about using the Quick Detailers stem from associating them with the short cut products like Finish 2001 "as seen on TV".

I guess I tend to associate "too easy" with "not good"

Also, I wondered if these products contain primarily silicon...
Old 08-17-03, 06:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

JJ,

Are you going to do a show-and-tell on quick details at our meet next weekend (www.lexusdragon.com)? Face, not sure where in NC you are, but if you can make it might be a good place to see several of these in action!

D
Old 08-17-03, 06:39 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, Dave. QD show and smell at the Robbinsville NC car wsah on Saturday morning.

FaceUT, Many QD's have polypropylene oil in it to make them feel slick. People confuse this polypropylene oil with the "evil" silicone, which it is not, and begin to freak. The purpose of the oil is also to lubricate, so you won't scratch your paint duringf application of the product. This oil will evaporate quickly and leave no trace behind
Old 08-17-03, 08:29 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Would love to show up there Dave - but I have had this little trip to Alaska planned for a while...

I will be at the next local meet available though...

Thanks for the info on the polypropylene oil, Daddy-O - That I did not know.