Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get rid of bad smoke smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 04:56 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I did the ozone generator many times, tried 2x meguiar's smoke cans, changed cabin filters and cleaned the vents with meguiars vent product. I even had it professionally detailed. Still some lingering smell exist.

Is there health harm breathing smoke odor?
Old 01-01-21, 05:02 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I tried the smoke cans too but they last less than two weeks. That is why I thought the dealer did the same thing to get it sold. I tried a couple of other things one at a time but it never really went away. That's why eventually I bought the ozone machine and borrowed a friend's steam cleaner and went crazy on the entire car including the AC system.

FYI: I'm not a doctor so I can't speak professionally about lingering smoke odor but since it really isn't second-hand smoke you should be OK.
Old 01-02-21, 10:20 AM
websurfer
Racer

Another fellow CL member recommended this one:

https://www.prowax.com/perfumes_deod...liminator.html

It was available at Amazon so I got it and tried it. It seemed to help somewhat on the headliner but the vehicle still has some smoke leftover though.
Old 07-01-21, 04:57 PM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi websurfer. I am dealing with the same issue of smoke smell. Can you comment 6 months later on how things have gone? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-21, 05:11 PM
websurfer
Racer

Sadly, we tried everything but failed. The smell keeps on coming back. We may sell the vehicle. The ozone generator, armor all flex, etc. Nothing really works like the car detailer mentioned.
Old 07-01-21, 05:14 PM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by websurfer
Sadly, we tried everything but failed. The smell keeps on coming back. We may sell the vehicle. The ozone generator, armor all flex, etc. Nothing really works like the car detailer mentioned.
Well thats a bummer.

Can you include which exact ozone generators you used? I have borrowed one and then bought one, just dont want to go down the same road that you seemed to have, as I have tried many things with no obvious improvement.
Thanks.
Old 07-01-21, 05:22 PM
websurfer
Racer

I had brought 2 different ozone generators and the detailer used one also. The car detailer said it's too heavily smoked, nothing will get rid of the odor. I probably spend around $900 on this now. I'm giving up. Both driver and passenger were heavy smokers in my case. If lighter smokers, ozone generators may help. I tried that a number of times. We have tried different spray and smoke bombs to hide the smell but it doesn't really fix the issue.
Old 07-01-21, 05:37 PM
Rezasaba
Driver School Candidate

just seen this post about Smoke I guess you still have the smoky car, I tried this trick years ago when I had a Garage,
get some apples 2 or 3 cut them in quarters, and leave them in the car under the sun close all the windows let it sit for 3 or 4 hours, then open all windows and doors and put the blower fan on high, heat or cold, blow out the vents and ducts make sure the door is open. if you driving just leave the windows open and set the blower on high do not recirculate at any time. try this for few days and see how it works, did this for customers and they all said it was working
Old 07-02-21, 06:33 PM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by websurfer
I had brought 2 different ozone generators and the detailer used one also. The car detailer said it's too heavily smoked, nothing will get rid of the odor. I probably spend around $900 on this now. I'm giving up. Both driver and passenger were heavy smokers in my case. If lighter smokers, ozone generators may help. I tried that a number of times. We have tried different spray and smoke bombs to hide the smell but it doesn't really fix the issue.
Can you possibly include the exact models of the ozone generators by chance? I am buying one on Amazon, and had borrowed a separate one as well. Just dont want to make the same path that you did, and at least try something different. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-21, 08:22 PM
macdavid
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the humidity is making the smell come out. I have hardly ever seen being able to get it all out of a headliner because of the foam behind the fabric so you may try that also they make a can for a/c repair shops, I have owned one for 45 years" you cut a hole in evap case , out of view from sight. It consist of a strong foamy substance that will clean the evaporator. Sometimes you have to do that twice. I am sure some people have other ideas as well. Enjoy.
Old 07-02-21, 10:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Removing the carpet and washing it goes a long way to removing smoke odor, I've done this reduced the stink about 75%. From what I've read any ozone machine powerful enough to zap odor will damage anything plastic.
Old 07-04-21, 08:00 PM
websurfer
Racer

I tried these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11386073672...Cclp%3A2334524

I also tried multiple times. We had a professional also clean the vehicle and could get the smell out.

We sold our vehicle to Carmax given they were the highest compared to other online vehicle sales companies.
Old 07-09-21, 12:17 PM
Geemaan
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow the below and your smell will be gone and this is my goto for always having new car smell.

Prevention with baking soda and charcoal
Sprinkle on carpets. Let it sit for 30 mins to an hour
Take some or 2 to 4 small plastic cups fill them and leave them on various spots of the car overnight.
Same with Charcoal - Place 3 or 4 pieces of charcoal in all areas of the car to absorb the odor.
Vacuum
Use a good powerful vacuum like shop vac or got a car wash
Vacuum nook and corner of the car.
Repeat at least twice of baking soda and vacuum.
Clean and protect Interiors using - Similar to Turtle wash hybrid
Clean and protect Leather using - Similar to Armor All Leather Care with beeswax.

Next dayBuy 2 cans of Turtle Wax 50653 8015665 Odor-X Multi-Surface Cleaner Conditioner, 2.52 Fluid_Ounces, 2 Pack
Step 1
Follow directions.
Park car in safe place - Definitely not in garage and have gas for running it for 15 to 20 minutes.
Get inside car and start and Close all windows.
Turn A/c on - Full, dual, All vents open and Front and bottom vents to operate
Mode - External circulation (Default mode)
Take the can
Place it at bottom of the car where air vents are blowing. and depress the **** to Get better results than the cup holder.
Please Exit the car and Close the car doors and stay outside the car and monitor. (No Vandalism or some kid playing a prank if unattended)
After 15 mins enter the car
You will have new car smell
Keep spraying the aerosol daily for a week and check.
99% smell would have gone in a week
If you still feel some smell is present repeat the steps one more time using the second canIf you you are not satisfied - Replace the cain air filter (DIY is in How to's of the forum).
Old 09-15-21, 02:18 PM
Windows204
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

shame you had to sell it, but i wouldnt be able to keep the smell either