Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get rid of bad smoke smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 07:14 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts
Default How to get rid of bad smoke smell

I purchased a 2016 Lexus ES350 CPO from a Lexus dealer for the wife. We didn't know the smoke smell was that bad until we purchased it the day after. The smoke smell is incredibly hard to get rid of as we are learning.

We tried cleaning the vehicle headliner, wiping down the seats/carpet with water then using a number of ozone machines including the expensive ones, nothing works. The smell feels a bit faded only. We even changed the cabin filter (with smoke filtering), and use other spray cleaner, baking soda as well. Still nothing works so far in getting rid of all the smell.

Can an auto-detailer do a better job? Will the smell ever go away?

We also tried air fresheners but that only seem only mask the smell. It gets very noticeable when air recirculating is on.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-05-19, 07:19 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

Maybe replace the cabin air filter (1 minute DIY job)? Get the one with charcoal for odor elimination.

OTOH I am not sure the filter is used when in recirculation mode - so it may not make much difference. But the new filter will never hurt.
Old 11-05-19, 08:08 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Recirculating mode only makes it worse. The smell clings to the ducting and without new fresh air you won’t get rid of it. The best method I’ve found is to buy some Febreeze unscented, put it in a bucket, maybe a few ounces, and some warm to hot water. With a clean microfibre cloth soaked and loosely wrung out in the Febreeze water, wipe it all over every surface, including the headliner. You actually want to wet the surfaces with the Febreeze mixture. May have to do this a few times, but it does neutralize and remove the smoke smell. An air purifier is not going to take the smell off surfaces, it only cleans the air. Changing the cabin filter is not really going to help, it only removes “some” odour from the air. The problem is you have the smell embedded in the surfaces.

Last edited by st1800; 11-05-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 08:37 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Maybe replace the cabin air filter (1 minute DIY job)? Get the one with charcoal for odor elimination.

OTOH I am not sure the filter is used when in recirculation mode - so it may not make much difference. But the new filter will never hurt.
Thanks but I have already tried this route.
Old 11-05-19, 08:41 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by st1800
Recirculating mode only makes it worse. The smell clings to the ducting and without new fresh air you won’t get rid of it. The best method I’ve found is to buy some Febreeze unscented, put it in a bucket, maybe a few ounces, and some warm to hot water. With a clean microfibre cloth soaked and loosely wrung out in the Febreeze water, wipe it all over every surface, including the headliner. You actually want to wet the surfaces with the Febreeze mixture. May have to do this a few times, but it does neutralize and remove the smoke smell. An air purifier is not going to take the smell off surfaces, it only cleans the air. Changing the cabin filter is not really going to help, it only removes “some” odour from the air. The problem is you have the smell embedded in the surfaces.
Interesting, will try that idea. Thanks.
Old 11-05-19, 09:26 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I think you should return the car to the dealer and get your money back. Humans have evolved to smell ppb (parts per billion) smell of smoke, because those of our ancestors who could not, did not run for their lives and died in fires.

It will be next to impossible to COMPLETELY eliminate the smell.

You may still imagine the smoke smell and if you are not a smoker, you will hate the car after a while. Life is too short..
Old 11-05-19, 09:28 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by zes
I think you should return the car to the dealer and get your money back. Humans have evolved to smell ppb (parts per billion) smell of smoke, because those of our ancestors who could not, did not run for their lives and died in fires.

It will be next to impossible to COMPLETELY eliminate the smell.

You may still imagine the smoke smell and if you are not a smoker, you will hate the car after a while. Life is too short..
Tried that already, didn't work.
Old 11-06-19, 04:56 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have a look at using an ozone generator; you can buy for around $80 on Amazon or borrow/rent one. I just learned of this from a friend who loaned me his to remove mold/musty odor in a car I'd stored in a damp garage and it worked a charm. I believe I've read others have used them to remove smoke odor with good results. Pay attention to usage guidelines as extended exposure can harm rubber and leather (better to use multiple, shorter applications).

Last edited by mrsteve7; 11-06-19 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-06-19, 04:14 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you do an actual shampoo with a machine that extracts the cleaning solution?
Old 11-06-19, 04:57 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to duckduckgo and typed in "car detail smoke smell removal" and got several interesting hits:

https://www.washos.com/blog/remove-smoke-smell-car/

https://www.detailman-car-detailing....r-removal.html

https://www.washos.com/blog/10-detai...s-in-your-car/

https://www.ricksautodetailing.com/b...-your-car/252/

You may also try getting your car professionally detailed. I am sure many detail shops have smoke smell removal package deals.
Old 11-06-19, 05:48 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I purchased a 2016 Lexus ES350 CPO from a Lexus dealer for the wife. We didn't know the smoke smell was that bad until we purchased it the day after. The smoke smell is incredibly hard to get rid of as we are learning.

We tried cleaning the vehicle headliner, wiping down the seats/carpet with water then using a number of ozone machines including the expensive ones, nothing works. The smell feels a bit faded only. We even changed the cabin filter (with smoke filtering), and use other spray cleaner, baking soda as well. Still nothing works so far in getting rid of all the smell.

Can an auto-detailer do a better job? Will the smell ever go away?

We also tried air fresheners but that only seem only mask the smell. It gets very noticeable when air recirculating is on.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
We had this issue with a used 2010 Lincoln MKX we bought last year.
It was not easy but we got rid of the odor.
As you did I scrubbed everything down
I have a Bissell Little Green carpet steamer/shampooer - I shampooed all the rugs and mats
I put Ozium canisters under the seats.
I used Maguier's Odor Eliminator
followed Chemical Guys New Car Scent

The scent slowly disappeared over the course of several weeks.
I now just have a couple of boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda under the seats (probably no longer needed but I leave them there anyway
Ozium
The following 2 users liked this post by EJC:
Atav25 (02-06-20), websurfer (11-12-19)
Old 11-12-19, 05:15 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Check out "Auto Fanatic" in youtube. He swears by something call "What Odor" and a "Ozone Generator".
Old 11-12-19, 08:54 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Check out "Auto Fanatic" in youtube. He swears by something call "What Odor" and a "Ozone Generator".
Thanks for the info but I've already tried that Ozone Generator. I even purchased a higher end ozone generators and used them many times. Still smoke smell. It's coming from the vents so I don't really know how to clean the vents.
Old 11-12-19, 08:56 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by EJC
We had this issue with a used 2010 Lincoln MKX we bought last year.
It was not easy but we got rid of the odor.
As you did I scrubbed everything down
I have a Bissell Little Green carpet steamer/shampooer - I shampooed all the rugs and mats
I put Ozium canisters under the seats.
I used Maguier's Odor Eliminator
followed Chemical Guys New Car Scent

The scent slowly disappeared over the course of several weeks.
I now just have a couple of boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda under the seats (probably no longer needed but I leave them there anyway
Ozium
Thanks, trying the baking soda currently. This smoke smell is way too stubborn to remove. Is there harm breathing smoke smell?
Old 11-12-19, 09:01 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Thanks for the info but I've already tried that Ozone Generator. I even purchased a higher end ozone generators and used them many times. Still smoke smell. It's coming from the vents so I don't really know how to clean the vents.
what about something like a can of canister that foams up the vents? I have seem people used it, check YouTube.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (11-12-19)

Quick Reply: How to get rid of bad smoke smell