Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Claybar and Polish and Wax -- Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 12:11 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claybar and Polish and Wax -- Oh My!

My new car's about a month old now and I haven't been happy with the finish that's been left after the hand washings I've given it, so I'm thinking of spending more time the next time I wash and going for the claybar treatment.

From other threads I've gathered that the Mother's claybar system should work fine for me, so I'll pick that up at the local auto parts store. Also from what I've read, the steps should be:

1) wash w/ Dawn to remove wax and any loose contaminants
2) claybar to remove embedded contaminants
3) wash again to remove claybar residue
4) polish
5) wax

Is step 4 (polish) required? I've got a brand new jar of S100 wax ready to go and I was thinking that I would just apply this after the second wash, but I don't want to omit a critical step (the polishing part).

BTW, I watched the Mother's claybar video (link posted in another thread) and the guy is claying the hood against the airflow and also applying wax in a circular motion. Aren't these really no-no's by professional standards?
Old 08-25-03, 04:32 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a trick with the clay bar. Break it in half and use only 1/2, then use the second half later. Use a good car wash in a spray bottle as a lubricant and do not allow the residue to dry on the car. Do not use in the sun or on a hot car.

Work from the top down. First the roof, the trunk, the hood. Then halfway down around the whole car.

If the claybar is still in good condition, start the bottom half of the car and the front, use the new half when the old one is gone.

Take the celophane off a cigarette pack, slide your fingers inside it and lightly rub your fingers over a location of the car. You will feel many bumps, etc. Clay it and then feel the clayed area with the celophane.

You will be amazed.

Wash the car again when done claying in a good car wash soap before waxing, etc.

If you drop a clay bar then toss it. It's no good. If you use a claybar on your wheels then never use it on your paint.

I did mine last Saturday.
Old 08-30-03, 06:51 AM
lexite
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you use for "Polish". You may not want to use too abrasive polish but something that can remove oxidation, tar, acid rain,... I like Zymol HD Cleanser in particular for this step because I like carnauba wax and Zymol HD sets up a great base for it. Many people have great results with Klasse "All In One" polish that can be followed with Klasse sealant glaze to provide maximum protection and shine.

Last edited by lexite; 08-30-03 at 06:52 AM.