Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My Car was egged while I was Away!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 07:11 PM
Lunar76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Car was egged while I was Away!!

I just got back from summer vacation and I found that somebody egged my car! Its been there in the sun for about 3-4 days. I tried cleaning it off but it didnt work. Does anyone know what i can do?
Old 08-25-03, 10:04 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are just plain mean and jealous. Sorry to hear this.

The bad news is, because you were away and didn't catch this in time before it dried, there's probably not a lot you can do outside of a repaint at this point The organic proteins in eggs act like a biological acid and etch right into, and sometimes right thought, the clearcoat. If you have cracking in the clear, the impact probably caused those. If you have what appears to be eaten away paint and white spots, that's the result from the etching. Basically speaking, paint is either gone that was there, and/or the resins in the clear are damaged.

You may be able to make it a bit better visually though. First thing is to wash it with something alkaline like Dawn dish detergent. This should remove trace proteins in the area and prevent further etching.

Next, use an abrasive compound such as Meguiar's Scratch X, 3M Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound etc and see if you can make any headway with that approach. Try it a few times before you give up, because it may take some grunt work. Lastly, if you know how to wetsand, you could try that (or ask a body shop or pro detailer) because that's the last avenue you have to possibly remove some of the scars present, and only if there's some paint left UNDER those marks/scars.

I wish I had better news for you. Time is your enemy with eggs, bird droppings and such. Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-25-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 01:33 PM
Lunar76
Driver School Candidate

Thanks GuitarMan. I took my car to a couple of places and nobody could remove the stains. It seems the car is going to have to be repainted. I wonder how much and how long that would take.
Old 08-26-03, 05:04 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, damn those haters!!

Second of all, as a Lexus owner, you should have garaged it, or at least put a car cover on it when on vacation.

Shame on you!!

Pete
Old 08-26-03, 07:32 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry to hear that. It happened to me and One Hot SC400 recently too. It's a shame people do stupid crap like that..

Last edited by SC300Es; 08-26-03 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 07:56 PM
Lunar76
Driver School Candidate

I wouldnt treat my Lexus that way PHML..
I have a car cover but my sister begged me to let her drive the car around a couple of times while I was away. BIG Mistake.
Old 08-26-03, 08:24 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Second of all, as a Lexus owner, you should have garaged it, or at least put a car cover on it when on vacation
First of all if they wanted to egg the car, WTF is a damned car cover gonna do?

Secondly, if they still wanted to egg the car, they'd simply break into a garage. I had a good friend who went on a cruise and someone simply busted out his window and ripped his kit car he'd been working on restoring to pieces Stole a ton of AV equipment, took everything of value in the car and ripped everything else up in the house. (Leather couches ect)

Garage is best, but if you pissed someone off, they'll get it anyways.
Old 08-26-03, 08:33 PM
Lunar76
Driver School Candidate

Beleive it or not, I think someone at the Lexus Service Department egged my car...
Man if I could prove it I would stick my whole leg up his @$$!