Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird **** and hazed headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 05:21 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Bird **** and hazed headlights

So my parking spot is under a tree and ever so often i come out to a little present. What product/s can i buy to help spot clean the mess?

My headlights have some kind of hazing near the top and id like to know if taking it to someone to get 'professionally clean' will get rid of it.

Old 12-24-19, 09:13 PM
ch0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on how well you maintain your vehicle, use a quick detailer if your car is fairly clean and use a waterless wash if you have anything more than light dust on your vehicle. I personally use both Meguiars/Chemical guys products. And make sure to also use a high quality microfiber towel as Lexus paint is fairly soft and quite easy to swirl/scratch. Also, since your parking spot is underneath a tree, I would suggest you protecting your vehicle with either a sealant or ceramic coating, so bird droppings, tree sap, etc. doesn’t etch itself into your paint.

As for the haze on your headlights, it doesn’t look that bad to the point of where you would need to go to a professional detailer to fix it. From what I can see, a light hand polish should clear it up.

Last edited by ch0n; 12-24-19 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 07:50 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Had bird poop eat at my clear coat in a day and a half. Amazing. Was able to be buffed out, waxed over, and I dont know it's there anymore unless I'm really looking.

Just did my headlights today, had the hazing exactly like the OP pictured. My before/after pictures are useless i wasn't paying attention to the light.

Got some polish as suggested above and 10 mins later all fixed.
Old 01-07-20, 11:49 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Another vote for the polish. Be sure to follow the polish with some wax for short term (~3 months) protection. For more durable protection, look into a ceramic coating for the headlights.
Old 01-08-20, 10:27 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Best steps to take with headlight hazing:
Wet sand > polish > spray with clear > wet sand > polish > ceramic coat or paint sealant.

Polishing and waxing will only last so long and becomes a pain. This will solve the problem all together.
Old 01-14-20, 08:16 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Had bird poop eat at my clear coat in a day and a half. Amazing. Was able to be buffed out, waxed over, and I dont know it's there anymore unless I'm really looking.

Just did my headlights today, had the hazing exactly like the OP pictured. My before/after pictures are useless i wasn't paying attention to the light.

Got some polish as suggested above and 10 mins later all fixed.
im in deeeep **** as I park under a tree....**** me.
Old 01-17-20, 05:32 AM
ch0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Best steps to take with headlight hazing:
Wet sand > polish > spray with clear > wet sand > polish > ceramic coat or paint sealant.

Polishing and waxing will only last so long and becomes a pain. This will solve the problem all together.
All of that is not necessary if you take a closer look at the pictures he posted of the hazing on his headlights. Yes, what you posted is technically the “correct” way to refinish heavily oxidized headlights, which clearly the OP does not have.

#1 rule in detailing: ALWAYS start with the least aggressive method and work your way up if needed.
Old 01-17-20, 08:06 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ch0n
All of that is not necessary if you take a closer look at the pictures he posted of the hazing on his headlights. Yes, what you posted is technically the “correct” way to refinish heavily oxidized headlights, which clearly the OP does not have.

#1 rule in detailing: ALWAYS start with the least aggressive method and work your way up if needed.
You're definitely right with taking the least aggressive approach first, then work up. Based off my experience with haze/smudges like this caused from bird bombs, it's already eaten through the coating on the headlights, and doing just a quick polish will only hold them over for a while. It'll definitely look better, but I personally would just do the whole headlight over. But yes, definitely start small BEFORE jumping into wet sanding and re-clearing.