Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lightly scratched stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 11:53 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lightly scratched stereo

Hello everyone I accidently caused a light scratch on the stereo [the large, silver radio that houses the climate controls and volume/tuning ****]. The scratch is at the top, and is noticeable as it's clear I scraped off the surface level paint showing a lighter color gray.

Is there any way I can fix this that anyone is aware of? I do not want to try and buff it as I do not want to distort any other portion of the stereo.
Old 01-07-20, 12:26 PM
SilverRX30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!

Any chance of posting a pic of the radio/scratch?
Old 01-07-20, 01:16 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SilverRX30
Hello!

Any chance of posting a pic of the radio/scratch?
Here is a picture I took.

https://imgur.com/a/JH1uDcZ

you can see the scratch is centered at the top of the stereo. Awfully noticeable during the day.
Old 01-07-20, 02:16 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I think any attempt at repair would make it worse. You could take it to a car stereo shop and ask their opinion.
You may just have to live with it.
Old 01-08-20, 10:21 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I think any attempt at repair would make it worse. You could take it to a car stereo shop and ask their opinion.
You may just have to live with it.
I agree with this 100%. If you absolutely must attempt to repair it, I'd suggest getting a super fine/small paint brush, get the paint code for the part, and slowly fill it in with a magnifying glass to watch through. Sounds a bit extreme, but worth a shot. Another thing that might help is getting the small brush, and fill it in using a clear matte finish paint. Won't get rid of it all the way, but it could help darken it a bit to be less noticeable.
Old 01-28-20, 09:16 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I agree with this 100%. If you absolutely must attempt to repair it, I'd suggest getting a super fine/small paint brush, get the paint code for the part, and slowly fill it in with a magnifying glass to watch through. Sounds a bit extreme, but worth a shot. Another thing that might help is getting the small brush, and fill it in using a clear matte finish paint. Won't get rid of it all the way, but it could help darken it a bit to be less noticeable.
Hey! I appreciate your feedback and I am interested in attempting to do this. The scratch is only super noticeable during the day because of how much lighter in color it is. Would you have any idea how I could find a close color-match for this? I am a novice in these things. Thank you!
Old 01-29-20, 05:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You could make it less noticeable by applying one of the scratch "hiding" products, not a product with abrasives. These hiding products work by knocking down the reflections caused by the edges of the scratch reflecting light. This is not a permanent fix and likely won't fully hide the scratch. I'd not attempt a DIY correction but a paint and bodyshop might be able to make it like new for a price. Probably best to just call it a "Character" mark. Remember the first rule of detailing. "Don't make it worse."