Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint protection film brand (clear bra)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 07:12 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Paint protection film brand (clear bra)

Hello everyone,

I plan on getting ppf, deciding between xpel, suntek, or stek. Anyone willing to share their experience and recommendation?

Thank you
Old 01-15-20, 01:07 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I have Suntek on the front of my car + mirrors, and I can't say that I'm all that impressed with it. There is a part that's starting to shrivel up in one of the corners of the hood, and it was put on in 2014. I'd get it redone, but I'm not all that worried..... Yet. Honestly, it's not BAD, just not great stuff.
Old 01-15-20, 01:17 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I have Suntek on the front of my car + mirrors, and I can't say that I'm all that impressed with it. There is a part that's starting to shrivel up in one of the corners of the hood, and it was put on in 2014. I'd get it redone, but I'm not all that worried..... Yet. Honestly, it's not BAD, just not great stuff.
Oh that sounds bad! Already have it scheduled this upcoming Friday to install Suntek Ultra, hope for a better experience down the road.

Peeling and shriveling sounds like it should be covered by the installer or manufacturer though
Old 01-15-20, 05:05 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I have suntek ultra PPF-C on a few of my cars. The only spots where I had issues with the film lifting was on the side mirror, and the shop was willing to fix it every time.

One of my cars got sandwiched in a 4 car accident. The front end had minimal paint damage despite being mangled. When I was talking to the bodyshop that was storing the car, they didn't believe me that there was a clear bra installed until I started pointing out the seams. ​​​​​​
Old 01-15-20, 09:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Suntek (regular clear, non-ultra) would be my absolute first choice. XPEL Ultimate has gone WAY down hill with their new product. Stek makes a solid product as well. I am an installer, first hand experience. 3M is a good film as well, but good luck finding anyone using it.
Old 01-16-20, 08:33 AM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Suntek (regular clear, non-ultra) would be my absolute first choice. XPEL Ultimate has gone WAY down hill with their new product. Stek makes a solid product as well. I am an installer, first hand experience. 3M is a good film as well, but good luck finding anyone using it.
Any specific reasons for recommending the regular Suntek instead of Suntek Ultra? I would assume ultra to be better because of the longer warranty? No personal experience at all, scheduled for Friday to install it.
Old 01-16-20, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I’ve had both the Suntek and the Suntek Ultra. Both films are excellent, very similar. The Ultra has a little bit of a peel to it that the regular Suntek doesn’t have. No issue on my silver but perhaps it would be on a darker car.
Old 01-17-20, 07:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’ve had both the Suntek and the Suntek Ultra. Both films are excellent, very similar. The Ultra has a little bit of a peel to it that the regular Suntek doesn’t have. No issue on my silver but perhaps it would be on a darker car.
This is spot on. When Ultra came out, first thing we noticed is more orange peel vs. Suntek C. Most people would not notice this difference, especially on lighter colors but seeing these films side by side you can definitely see a difference. It definitely dulls a black or dark blue car, which just happen to be the most common colors we see at the shop since we are a detail place also (rarely do silver or white).

If you're OK with that, then as a consumer the Ultra is a better choice due to having a 10yr warranty vs. the 5yr on Suntek Clear.

As an installer, what we noticed right away is that Ultra is just more stressful to work with, edges are more time consuming to roll and the film in general feels more bulky and stiff due to the hydropohbic top layer. We offer several options for ceramic coatings so the hydrophobic properties of Ultra are a moot point for us. We still offer Ultra, but for additional cost (material costs more and more time consuming to install).
Old 01-17-20, 07:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Make sure they do your headlights also. Lexus is notorious for turning yellow and fading after about 5-7 years depending where you live. Film over the headlights is an amazing investment, will prevent pitting and chips as well. Most shops just throw those in anyways if you're doing a full front install.
Old 01-18-20, 08:54 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Had my 18 GS Xpelled when new and installer filmed headlights too. Can't even see the film on them and they still look new.
Old 01-18-20, 10:40 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
This is spot on. When Ultra came out, first thing we noticed is more orange peel vs. Suntek C. Most people would not notice this difference, especially on lighter colors but seeing these films side by side you can definitely see a difference. It definitely dulls a black or dark blue car, which just happen to be the most common colors we see at the shop since we are a detail place also (rarely do silver or white).

If you're OK with that, then as a consumer the Ultra is a better choice due to having a 10yr warranty vs. the 5yr on Suntek Clear.

As an installer, what we noticed right away is that Ultra is just more stressful to work with, edges are more time consuming to roll and the film in general feels more bulky and stiff due to the hydropohbic top layer. We offer several options for ceramic coatings so the hydrophobic properties of Ultra are a moot point for us. We still offer Ultra, but for additional cost (material costs more and more time consuming to install).
That's interesting, I've never looked at both side by side. I'll keep that in mind if I buy a black car.
Old 01-22-20, 09:19 AM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Installed Suntek ultra on eminent white pearl. Looks great, don't notice any orange peel or weird texture.
Old 01-23-20, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Its very subtle, and on white it would be a non issue. Its a non issue on my silver too
Old 05-18-20, 10:04 AM
robert5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heeft iemand gehoord van F-performance beschermende films?
Old 05-18-20, 07:07 PM
BrentRus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ik heb ervaring met het gebruik van deze film op mijn auto. allereerst is het een nederlands merk. Goedkoper dan Amerikaanse(US) films en met modernere grondstoffen, dus ik ging ermee akkoord en niet teleurgesteld.

Quick Reply: Paint protection film brand (clear bra)