Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 04:28 PM
jzjust
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating

I am located in Southern California and want to get my 2020 NX ceramic coated and wanted to know which brands that you used and provide with pros and cons. Thanks.
Old 04-03-20, 07:17 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,280 Likes on 989 Posts

I used Carpro UK CQuartz 3.0. I suggest that you purchase the kit containing 50ml and Reload spray and a 16 oz bottle of Eraser. The paint should be as perfect as possible. Dark colors will show swirls more than white. Clay bar, possibly buffer with polish(being you have a new car, you may be able to skip this step), wash, dry it and then spray wipe with Eraser just before applying the ceramic. You'll get two coats from the 50ml bottle. Do it in the shade on a cold car. Good directions included and easy to apply and wipe off excess. I used this brand based on another member's recommendation who had it over a year and was still satisfied. So far very easy to keep my car clean, haven't used the Reload yet but likely at 4-6 month mark for refresh.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 07:37 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jzjust
I am located in Southern California and want to get my 2020 NX ceramic coated and wanted to know which brands that you used and provide with pros and cons. Thanks.
The 2 that I have used extensively are CQ UK3.0 & Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Here is my experience:

CQ vs. CSL
Pros
  • Both: Affordable
  • Both: Readily available online
  • Both: Easy to apply (forgiving on beginners)
  • CQ: I have personal experience that it easily lasted 2 years on my GS350 with proper maintenance.
  • CSL: The removal in the best part. It leaves a very slick feel on the paint at removal time. This lets you kind of know where you've coated and where you've missed. The ease of removal for CSL for me wins hands down.
  • CSL: if using a topper, Gtechniq wins this one for me. EXO is fantastic.
Cons:
  • Both: Timing - You'll have to be sure to get your coating and removal timing down. Leave a spot too long and you'll ending up polishing it off.
  • CQ: I personally don't like the the removal portion of CQ nearly as much as CSL.
  • CSL: I don't like using the pipette to get it on my applicator. IMO extra step for no reason.
  • CQ: If using a topper. CQ loses this one. Gliss was not impressive in my opinion.
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 11:29 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

I used 22ple HPC. I had no problems applying it and it was pretty easy to tell when to remove when it you could see the product flash. I ended up doing two coats on both of my vehicles and really didn't run into many snags. It was easy to use.
Old 04-17-20, 08:33 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
I used 22ple HPC. I had no problems applying it and it was pretty easy to tell when to remove when it you could see the product flash. I ended up doing two coats on both of my vehicles and really didn't run into many snags. It was easy to use.
How long did you wait between coats using 22ple ?
I plan to use it over the weekend
Old 04-18-20, 12:10 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

I waited overnight. I was working on it after work and after putting the little one down for the night so I was working night to night. So I applied one evening, let it flash and removed the excess. Then waited until the next evening for the second coat.
Old 04-20-20, 10:24 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Did you dust, wipe the car again prior to applying the 2nd coat after 24 hours?
Old 04-20-20, 12:05 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The coating will lock in any dust and imperfections on the surface. The more effort you put in to have a perfect surface, the better the finished surface will look. Save the applicator cloth you used for the first coat. The next day, when you see how rigid it has become, it should give you a better understanding of ceramic coating characteristics. You'll also be tossing the buffing cloth as that is ruined as well. A dark colored paint will show any mild scuffs and swirls in the surface.
Beachtyme (05-03-20)
Old 04-20-20, 12:19 PM
mfaheem
Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
The coating will lock in any dust and imperfections on the surface. The more effort you put in to have a perfect surface, the better the finished surface will look. Save the applicator cloth you used for the first coat. The next day, when you see how rigid it has become, it should give you a better understanding of ceramic coating characteristics. You'll also be tossing the buffing cloth as that is ruined as well. A dark colored paint will show any mild scuffs and swirls in the surface.
I agree however 22ple says to wait 24 hour before applying the second coat of the coating. The car is parked in the garage and I will be putting the second coat today. So the main question is if I should do any prep before applying the second coat ?
Old 04-20-20, 01:37 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Wipe off surface to remove any dust to be on the safe side.
Old 05-17-20, 09:06 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Used CQuartz 2 yrs. ago and It worked great. Ready to reapply. How much prep work do I need to do? Do I need to remove the current coating by polishing, eraser and claybar and iron-X? Just want to know how to begin this process scince it has been on the car for 2 years.
Old 05-18-20, 07:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

How does it look and feel after 2 years. Swirls in the paint? Super smooth feel? Do you have a lot of iron in the water used for washing? Hand washed machine washed?
Old 05-18-20, 08:08 AM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How does it look and feel after 2 years. Swirls in the paint? Super smooth feel? Do you have a lot of iron in the water used for washing? Hand washed machine washed?
It still looks great. Feels great. No iron in water. No swirls, etc. Inside garage about 95% of the time. I just assumed that after two years, it was time to reapply.
Old 05-18-20, 08:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I agree about 2 years. Definitely use eraser to get any grease or oils off. I'd try a small area with clay bar to see if it improves the surface smoothness. Otherwise, you're good to go.
Old 05-18-20, 08:33 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My car is approaching 3.5 years with the Gtechniq CSL + EXO V2 (They're on EXO V4 now) combo. It still sheets water and is slick to the touch, but it's definitely worn down compared to some of my other cars with fresher applications. There are swirls, but they're minimal compared to an uncoated car. I wash with dionized water (crspotless) and it's hand washed. That being said, my car is always garaged and has been driven 15k miles in that 3.5 years.

Originally Posted by WNC
Used CQuartz 2 yrs. ago and It worked great. Ready to reapply. How much prep work do I need to do? Do I need to remove the current coating by polishing, eraser and claybar and iron-X? Just want to know how to begin this process scince it has been on the car for 2 years.
Same process as before, IronX, clay, polish, eraser and install. You want it back down to bare paint for the best bond. Are you planning on using Cquartz again or trying something new this time?