Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

paint chips/touch-up paint question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 08:16 PM
NYU02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint chips/touch-up paint question

I have a 2003 sc430 white/saddle with 4000 miles on the car and I bought the car 3 months ago and already i have a paint chip under my liscence plate that doesn't really bother me much but today i was washing my car and I saw a couple paint chips on my hood!!! None really terrible but enough to drive me crazy. What should I do?

I see the stone gaurd things but I am affraid it will look odd and stick out. I dont want to take away from the beauty of the car. I see that lexus makes touch up paint for the car. I am willing to try that but I am worried it won't blend good. Has anyone tried it? and if so who put it on? Lexus?

I am worried that I have had the car for only 3 months and already these paint chips are showing up, just imagine 2-3 years down the line!!!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-06-03, 01:42 PM
flatfoot
Driver

I strongly recommend a 3M front end protection. I purchased the X-Pel and am very pleased with it. The dealer came to my home and installed it in about 3 hours. Total cost including headlight and mirror covers was $460.00. My wife has an 03 Mercedes C230, and drives about 110 miles per day commuting to her job. Her car got hammered before I was able to get a Colgan Bra for it. The bra works great but I have to remove it once a week after washing it, turn it inside out to brush it out ,and then put it back on. The X-Pel is permanent. It is barely noticeable and it gets washed and waxed. With such a beautiful car I would fix the chips and then install some protection.
Old 09-06-03, 04:28 PM
NYU02
Driver School Candidate

flatfoot,
Is there a way I can see how it looks first cause I am worried its looks like a piece of plastic over the hood of my car. I am not a fan of bras but at the same time I am not a fan of rock chips. Its a lose lose situation. Where do you purchase X-Pel and you mean the lexus dealer came or the X-Pel dealer? Also on your wifes Mercedes did you fix the chips first and if so how does it look? Does it blend in well?

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 09-06-03, 08:03 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Chips

Have them repaired, then go with Armorglove. Here is a pic of my SC430 with Armorglove. I have the front bumper, hood (wrapped), headlights, fender by headlights, rocker panels, side mirrors and door cups done.

I highlighted where it ends with polish as it's hard to see.

Best investment I made!

Regards,
Deanski
Attached Thumbnails paint chips/touch-up paint question-amroglove4.jpg  
Old 09-07-03, 06:01 AM
flatfoot
Driver

NYU02, Sorry that I don't have a photo to post but you can see on Deanski's pic that the clear bra is not bad at all. It requires a little more attention when washing and waxing, taking care not to unpeel the edges, but it certainly beats the chips. I haven't repaired the chips on the Mercedes yet but I will try the langka system when I do. The 3M product is sold under several different names, X-pel, Stonegard, etc. They all offer the same protection. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 09-07-03, 08:27 AM
NYU02
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for all your input and thank you Deanski for your pic. Your car looks great and I think I am going to take everyone's advice and fill the chips in and put the 3M protection on my car. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Once again thanks for the insite, the chips were driving me crazy!
Old 09-07-03, 08:54 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About how long does it take for an installer to apply the hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, and door cups? My closest Armorglove installer is 200 miles away and my closest XPel installer is 150 miles away. I'm wondering just how long a day it will be to have this installed.

Cripes, Hartford CT has two Armorglove installers.
Old 09-07-03, 11:32 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

It took my guy a full day and 2-3 hours the next morning for mine. However, he did the A-pillars and across the top (above) of the windshield as well as behind all four wheels down on the rocker panel as well as the full front, hood, mirrors and door cups. I wish I would have had them put some over the chrome "Lexus" threshold thing as well, since it scuffs pretty easy. I did the headlights myself with an xpel kit from autosport.com. It's precut for the car and has the fog light protection as well. I would plan on a long boring day at least. Even after they apply it, they like to let it dry to check for bubbles and pull ups around the edges. Good luck. You'll be glad you did it!!

Doc C
Old 09-07-03, 12:17 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

NYU02,
Are you going to use the LANGKA KIT and do it yourself?
If so please give us a peport and pics if possiable.
Old 09-07-03, 01:45 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used Langka. It definitely helps smooth out the lumps that you get when using touchup paint. It didn't look perfect because I have a Silver car and metallics never seem to match. However, it should barely be noticeable on a White car.

As some others have mentioned, I would definitely recommend a clear bra. I've had my X-Pel bra for a few months now and sometimes I don't even notice it's on the car. It covers the entire front end, part of the hood and the mirrors. It cost $500 and took 4 hours to install. I contacted my Lexus service dept. and they recommended someone who met me at the dealership and installed it. You can also check out X-Pel and Armorglove websites. Prior to the installation, I was getting chips on the bumper and hood on a regular basis, so no regrets here!
Old 09-07-03, 02:10 PM
NYU02
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for all your insight and information, I appriciate is greatly. When I go back to Lexus for my 5000 mile inspection I will get the touch up paint and and order the Langka product aswell as ask my dealership where I should get the clear bra from. I guess its the design of the car that causes all these chips because I have 2 other RX300's and both don't have chips like im getting on this car.
Old 09-07-03, 03:26 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Armorglove

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
About how long does it take for an installer to apply the hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, and door cups? My closest Armorglove installer is 200 miles away and my closest XPel installer is 150 miles away. I'm wondering just how long a day it will be to have this installed.

Cripes, Hartford CT has two Armorglove installers.
It took just part of the day for them to install as it requires two installers so they can wrap the hood area. Some paint film is not wrapped under the hood from other mfg, so it looks more like a big decal, which I wanted to avoid. Armorglove does all the high-end cars in our area, and inspected their work prior. They do the best jon by far, but it was the Greenwich, CT site that came to the dealer for the install. Some will go to dealers to install, they just need an area inside to work.

Wish I had it done when I took delivery! Would have avoided the headaches of the paint chipping.

I'd contact Armorglove as some will even pick-up the car and bring it to their site to install, then return it to you.

The website: Armorglove of America

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-12-03, 05:02 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

On my 3 prior lexuses, factory touch-up paint has been a perfect match. And yes, I had metallic colors on 2 of them. What is really great about Lexus touch-up paint is it DOESN'T need a separate clear coat. Any such repair done with a touch-up kit (such as langka. GM has a great kit too) should leave it unnoticeable.

I've seen cars with the film, but in this dusty town the darn dirt gets under the edges, and looks like crap. Granted, I don't know what brand it was, but since I seldom drive in the freeways, I'll probably just buy a bra and put it on when necessary. Since I'll probably buy my new SC430 400 miles away, I have to invest in a bra anyway so I don't ruin it on the way home, so that'd be my solution. Keep in mind high pressure washers can lift the film off, and so can rubbing with your chamois or any other rag; too much care for me. I read about Colgan, so I'll look for that brand.

Take care, and enjoy your weekend.

JC
Old 09-12-03, 06:58 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Bra

ELP_JC,

You will do more harm with a "temp" bra on your SC430 in a dusty environment than a paint protection film.

As for high pressure washers.. why would you even go near the finish with one?

You really need to subscribe to Autopia.org which is a site devoted to detailing both on the "consumer" or weekend-warrior way or professional. Post your topic on the bra there and see what you get!

BTW, I still have a brand new Colgan "carbon-fiber" bra, two-piece still in the box, never used it or even took it out! If you want, PM me and give me an offer if you really want one.

As for dirt under the film, then it was not applied correctly. As for care, you can wash, wax and do most anything with it. Just don't rub hard with anything more aggressive than a MF towel.

Look into a polymer sealant for yours as well. Zaino, Klasse, "Smearfire", oh sorry, Blackfire, Meguiars #20 all work well, and protect the finish over a longer period than any wax. You could even top it with wax for more depth. Again, all discussed on Autopia.org!

Invest in a clear paint protection film. Your finish will thank you!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-12-03, 10:21 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Deanski, thanks for the advice buddy. I'll read that site when I get a chance. If I buy the car out of town, I'd need the bra to bring it home since it's better than nothing (I'll PM you if that's the case; thanks for the offer), but will seriously consider the clear alternative. I think it's a fact you have to be more careful with a film, but it's nothing I can't get used to. My biggest problem in this crappy town is WHO can do it properly. I now know I need the kind that wraps the hood, right? No worries about high-pressure washer with those.
I'll seldom need the protection, but it's nice to know it's there 24/7. And no, I hate the way bras look; I only use them for the trip I need and off they go. And wax the car before putting it on to be safe. Reports the SC430 is a stone magnet only makes your argument more valid. I still can't believe am buying a $65K car man; have to put that in perspective, huh?

Take care, and thanks again.

Quick Reply: paint chips/touch-up paint question