Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keeping the Black Parts Black & Interior Detailing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03 | 07:45 AM
scottlx470
Driver School Candidate

Default Keeping the Black Parts Black & Interior Detailing...

good day...

first off, thanks to all who contribute to these forums - the information to be found in these pages is quite invaluable to the new lexus devotee.

i am now an owner of a 'new' 1999 lx470 and have been pouring through the detailing threads for advice, and while i think i have worked out a good strategy - detailed at the end of my question - i have yet to find any information on the best way to keep the black parts looking black and new. i am referring specifically to:
-the radio and the radio buttons; the 'cd' button on my radio has faded somewhat!
-the plastic pieces that surrounds the gear selector, heat seaters, suspension stiffness setting, etc.
-the leather boot around the 4wd selector.
-the trim around the windshield and windows.

now, here's my system gleaned from the many threads i read - feel free to comment on my selections:
-to clean everything in the interior, Griots Interior Cleaner
-to condition the seats, Surflex Softener then Griots Leather Care
-to clean the dash / vinyl bits, Griots Vinyl and Rubber Dressing

thanks for any tips on restoring the radio buttons and inputs on my cleaning choices,
Old 09-06-03 | 09:29 AM
redhatlxus
Driver School Candidate

For the interior plastic parts try a good plastic polish. There are lots of them on the market. Then follow up the polish with something called "Plexus". The "Plexus" will actually leave a thin coat of wax on the parts that protects them and makes them look great. You will be amazed at what it does for your wood trim too!

For exterior you might want to try "Black Again" to restore any fading and then some "303 Protectant". You can also use the "Plexus" on the exterior for the lights and chrome or gold pieces.

Cheers!
Enjoy your LX!
Old 09-11-03 | 11:17 AM
cjnmel
Driver

Smile thanx...

g'lookin out y'alls...
Old 09-16-03 | 07:47 PM
twism99
Driver School Candidate

I second the 303!!! It's an all purpose cleaner and it's not real greasy or overly shiny like armor all.
Old 09-18-03 | 04:58 PM
LexFather

I used to use all sorts of cleaners but for plastic, the best thing is car wash soap, water and a cotton cloth IMO. If u really have time, wipe the dash down with a dash cleaner or shine and then go over with water and soap.
first off, thanks to all who contribute to these forums - the information to be found in these pages is quite invaluable to the new lexus devotee.

Daddy-O has a lot of tips and countless cleaners and cotton products for the car. He has a RX 300. At the Deal's Gap meet he showed us all the differences and I was very impressed. Most u have to order on-line.