Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Crazy glue residue on paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 05:05 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Crazy glue residue on paint

Okay.... I am retarded.

In my effort to "glue back" the decals from underneath the hood, I accidentally got some crazy glue on the paint and it left a nasty mark that gets on my nerve every time I look at it.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Please help. I know some of you are going to say it doesn't matter but I am just pretty **** when it comes to little things like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 09-10-03, 07:53 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you tried a heat gun? It could work considering it should heat up and soften the hardened glue so that you can safely scrape them out. It will probably leave a mark or some sort on the paint, but that can be remedied with some 3M paint care products. Right now you gotta get the glue out before it stays there forever!
Old 09-10-03, 08:46 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

One problem though. I think the effectiveness of a heat gun would be limited because when I got the glue on the paint, the engine/hood was still very warm (hence, same as using a heat gun to heat up the area) and I still couldn't wipe off the glue residue even with Meguiar's Scratch X.

Is there any other way that I can get it off? It's not so bad looking at this point. There's just one streak of glue mark left.... But still... I wish it wasn't there on the paint.

Jon

Originally posted by lexusk8
Have you tried a heat gun? It could work considering it should heat up and soften the hardened glue so that you can safely scrape them out. It will probably leave a mark or some sort on the paint, but that can be remedied with some 3M paint care products. Right now you gotta get the glue out before it stays there forever!
Old 09-10-03, 09:06 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if you want to try this, but get some very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (like 1500 or 2000 grit) from Walmart or any auto parts store. Cut up a few small pieces from it so that you can handle OK with your fingers, then try sanding down the glue mark. Do not sand it completely away, or else you'll start scratching the paint. Clean up the area, and apply some rubbing compound to make it shiny and scratch-free. Rubbing compound is like liquid sandpaper, and therefore should only be used if necessary since it takes away the original finish of the paint. Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-03, 09:12 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This is only a suggestion. I have not done this therefore take it a only a suggestion.

Heat is not going to take out crazy glue. Normally I would use acetone or nail polish remover to remove crazy glue from my skin or items I am gluing. Don't know how it would react with the Lexus paint. You could test it on a area that can't be easily seen. The nail polish remover is a bit milder than the full strength acetone. I would applied the nail polish remover on a Q-tip and gently rub on the glue area then wipe and rinse with water afterward. How big is the crazy glue spot on the paint?

Chu...
Old 09-10-03, 09:12 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks again!

One question please. If rubbing compound is the same as liquid sandpaper, would it be okay if I simply use it directly on the glue residue?

Wouldn't it have the same result as me using the actual 1500 or 2000 grit sandpapers on the affected area?

Jon

Originally posted by lexusk8
Not sure if you want to try this, but get some very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (like 1500 or 2000 grit) from Walmart or any auto parts store. Cut up a few small pieces from it so that you can handle OK with your fingers, then try sanding down the glue mark. Do not sand it completely away, or else you'll start scratching the paint. Clean up the area, and apply some rubbing compound to make it shiny and scratch-free. Rubbing compound is like liquid sandpaper, and therefore should only be used if necessary since it takes away the original finish of the paint. Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-03, 09:15 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try acetone (nail polish remover). That's primarily what they put in those "crazy glue remover" products they sell.

Test it on an inconspicuous area of the paint, say, under the front bumper etc. just to be sure. But generally acetone won't hurt cured urethane enamel. Cheers.
Old 09-10-03, 09:17 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Good idea.

I was actually going to try vinegar on the affected area but I haven't had the chance to do so yet.

The spot is not too big. It's actually caused by excessive glue flowing out of the area where I applied it. Therefore, it looks like a streak of thin line on the surface.

I'll give this a try and see how it works. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll really have to sand it as lexusk8 suggested.

Thanks.

Jon

Originally posted by ChuH
This is only a suggestion. I have not done this therefore take it a only a suggestion.

Heat is not going to take out crazy glue. Normally I would use acetone or nail polish remover to remove crazy glue from my skin or items I am gluing. Don't know how it would react with the Lexus paint. You could test it on a area that can't be easily seen. The nail polish remover is a bit milder than the full strength acetone. I would applied the nail polish remover on a Q-tip and gently rub on the glue area then wipe and rinse with water afterward. How big is the crazy glue spot on the paint?

Chu...
Old 09-10-03, 09:20 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help guitarman!

I'll get some of this good stuff as soon as I get off work tomorrow. Would it matter if I let the crazy glue sit over night?

Jon

Originally posted by Guitarman
Try acetone (nail polish remover). That's primarily what they put in those "crazy glue remover" products they sell.

Test it on an inconspicuous area of the paint, say, under the front bumper etc. just to be sure. But generally acetone won't hurt cured urethane enamel. Cheers.
Old 09-10-03, 09:25 PM
Guitarman

Not sure if it will matter at this point. One night shouldn't make too much diff.

Use a cotton terry towel and don't rub hard. Keep it wet with acetone and be patient.

Last edited by Guitarman; 09-10-03 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-10-03, 09:26 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate your help guitarman.

Jon

Not sure if it will matter at this point. One night shouldn't make too much diff.

Use a cotton terry towel and don't rub hard. Keep it wet with acetone and be patient.
Old 09-10-03, 09:30 PM
Guitarman

Default Happy to help

If you have a dull spot afterwards, simply polish it out with something like KIT Scratch-Out or Meguiar's Scratch X , even a swirl remover. Not saying you will get dullness, but don't freak if you do.
Old 09-10-03, 09:35 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Happy to help

I gotcha. Thanks!

Time to pay my local cosmetic/beauty shop a visit tomorrow.

Jon

If you have a dull spot afterwards, simply polish it out with something like KIT Scratch-Out or Meguiar's Scratch X , even a swirl remover. Not saying you will get dullness, but don't freak if you do.