Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Previous Owner buffed thru the Clearcoat- Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 06:14 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous Owner buffed thru the Clearcoat- Need advice please

I'm getting back into the Lexus fold. I've previously owned 92LS, 98GS3 and 99GS4. I'm now getting a Silver 2000LS. I'm buying CPO with only 32K miles.

OK , here's the problem...The car is mint except for a scratch on the left rear door that the previuos owner attacked with rubbing compound resulting in irregular 6 inch diameter dull swirls across the length of the door. Obviously an idiot... I think it's all the way thru the clearcoat. Dealer said that they will wet sand and polish to fix. Anyone here know if that will fix it? The other option is to have them paint and clearcoat the door but there's a possible issue with that especially if the tech doesn't blend it correctly.

Any suggestions or experience with this? The dealer is going to wet sand and polish tommorow for me to see the results before I buy.

Thanks

Murph
Old 09-10-03, 09:20 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's indeed through the clearcoat, no amount of sanding or buffing will put back the paint that is gone. Only a repaint can.

If on the other hand, it's just damaged from abusive compounding techniques, and the clear is still there, any skilled detailer or body shop can make it look good again.

Are you certain clearcoat is gone? If you have only basecolor left in a spot the tone/ color difference is obvious. If the dealer is going to do as you said, then you surely ARE NOT through the clear, and that's great.

Hope so, because if you're missing clear in a spot all you can do is respray new clear. Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 09-10-03 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-14-03, 05:13 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The damage was only in the surface of the clearcoat. It now looks fantastic! The silver sure cleans up nicely. The interior is like brand new so I pulled the trigger and commited. Just waiting for the title to show up at the dealer and it's mine. Sure feels good to be back in a Lexus.

Thanks Guitarman for your advise. I'm also a player, no time to gig anymore but I do have a home recording studio setup. I occasionaly get invited to Blues Jams. I do enjoy those.

Murph