Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior windshield streaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 07:25 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior windshield streaking

okay, since covid I have not taken my car to a car wash where other people are in my car. I've been going through the drive-thrus and doing the interior myself. but I am most frustrated with cleaning my interior windshield. I've tried everything and whatever I use it streaks. I've tried white vinegar I've tried Windex, I've tried something called Magic Glass, using a squeegee, using newspaper, paper towel, 100% cotton cloth handkerchief which works on my bathroom mirrors but I still get streaks on the inside windshield and it's driving me nuts and it's not safe when I drive because I'm seeing these and it's impairing my vision. I googled best cleaners for windshields and it came up with a list of glass cleaners that I've never heard of except for one that I have seen before like janitors used. so I thought I would run it by you all what do you think is the best cleaner for a streak-free windshield on the inside. and how are you doing it, are you using a paper towel a newspaper or cloth I need help. thank you in advance.
Old 12-09-20, 08:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I have good success with this product
https://www.invisibleglass.com/

I start with paper towels the move on to microfiber. Last step I wipe down with a dry waffle weave microfiber. When cleaning don't just smear the crud around, wipe down turn the towel then use a new one. Some interior vinyl treatments tend to evaporate and leave a film so keep that in mind.
The following users liked this post:
bnewcol (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 02:40 AM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I too love the results from the Invisible Glass product. I think @Lexus2000 has a good process, especially if the windows need a full clean. I mostly use microfiber towels and I make certain they are absolutely clean and free of any residue.

One other technique I use is when cleaning my vehicle glass, I generally use a horizontal wipe down for the exterior windows and a vertical wipe down for the interior glass. By doing this, if there are any noticeable streaks or blemishes I can easily determine whether the problem area is on the inside or outside.
bnewcol (12-11-20)
Old 12-16-20, 09:22 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The best product I've found for the interior windshield is Infinite Use Detail Juice (DJ). Great all around product for general detail use, but it really shines on the interior windshield (pun intended!). For regular cleaning, just diluted DJ and a clean waffle weave microfiber.

If the inner windshield is smudged / dirty or has the built of "fog" on the inside, I clean it with a standard glass cleaner, which invariably leaves a bunch of annoying streaks. I let it dry and do the follow up with DJ and it's crystal clear.

The 1st time I tried this method, I got in my truck and saw what I thought was something on the inner windshield glass and was ready to go after it again... To my realization it was my dash reflection on the uber-clean windshield that I was seeing as a reflection! For real, I was blown away and have been using this ever since on all my vehicles and have turned several people on to using this, even a few guys that are former detailers.
Old 12-16-20, 01:34 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

What you want to do is use a waffle weave glass towel. Have to one for the 1st wipe with your favorite glass product and the 2nd to dry it up. If you only use one towel to wipe and dry then your streak will be there a it now moist not dry.
Protholl (01-01-21)
Old 12-17-20, 09:38 AM
kentuckyed
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Far and away the best thing I've ever found to clean the windshield inside is a damp chamois. No cleaning product needed at all. If the windshield has stuff on it, use anything handy to remove the stuff and then use a damp chamois for final no streak cleaning. Works so well that my wife now takes my chamois for her twice yearly window cleaning. I've tried clothes that were advertised as "artificial chamois" but nothing has ever worked nearly as well as the real thing.

Chamois leather

Main article: Chamois leather

Chamois leatherChamois leather, traditionally made from the hide of the chamois, is very smooth and absorbent and is favoured in cleaning, buffing, and polishing because it produces no scratching. Modern chamois leather may be made from chamois hides, but hides of deer or domestic goats or sheep are commonly used.
Old 01-01-21, 05:09 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
What you want to do is use a waffle weave glass towel. Have to one for the 1st wipe with your favorite glass product and the 2nd to dry it up. If you only use one towel to wipe and dry then your streak will be there a it now moist not dry.
Agreed. I really didn't get good results until I used a specific microfiber towel. For reference this is what I used for the windows (and nothing else)

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-03-21, 05:35 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

To perfectly get results on a clean window . Gotta use a microfiber towel like others say . My suggestion is fold 2 towels into a square each . One is for the first step spray it with the window cleaner and wipe after most of the cleaner is picked up hit it with second towel but with no cleaner ,just a dry towel . And if you have a dark car it’s same way when u spray wax after washing and dry completely and then spray wax and water marks are gone ( make shure u do it in the shade not the sun ) . I call it wet side dry side basic 2 steps . Lol I even got hired a detail job after they ask me how I clean windows and I showed them ,they automatically gave me the job because a lot of people don’t know that’s how u get best results . But if it’s a real bad smokers car you’ll have to do it more then once . But good luck and have patience . Hope it solves your problem. It’s not about the what u use it’s the technique of the wet side dry side lmao and if that doesn’t work . It’s probably the outside of the window is stained or maybe overspray from paint . To get that out u would have to use steel wool and class cleaner together but never use steel wool on a car just windows only .

Last edited by Scott610; 01-03-21 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It can be super frustrating. I have also tried a bunch of glass microfibers and have found them wanting, the best I have tried are these CarPro Glass Towels:

Amazon Amazon

Best glass cleaner I have tried (including Invisible Glass) is CarPro Clarify:

Amazon Amazon

You don't want to use Windex, use a quality glass cleaner forumlated for automotive use.