Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 11:17 AM
dleex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Chip

Hey guys, this is my first post and I was wondering if you guys can help me out here. I found this forum to be a great resource of Lexus experts so I figured I'd give it a go.

So I just bought a used 2017 GS350 F Sport (loving it), but didn't notice this paint chip on the left side of the rear window. My fault obviously, the car has caviar paint so I missed it during the test drive and inspection. I was wondering how I should go about addressing it.

Since I bought it used from a dealer, I don't know what kind of coating or sealant has been applied to the car, and as a complete car newbie I'm not sure how I can tell. Honestly I am also having a hard time finding where the chip ends on the window side, as I cannot see or feel a border and it looks like it just magically blends in on that side somehow. I was wondering if someone could diagnose this via the pics attached. Would this count as a severe paint chip that has gone down to the metal? I read up and there seems to be many layers to a paintjob. Can I remedy with touch up paint or is this something a professional needs to do?

Honestly visually it doesn't bother me all that much, it blends in with the rest of the paint for the most part but Id rather it not be there lol. I primarily don't want it to rust/spread and would like to apply a sealant to the car and don't want this to prevent me from doing so. Appreciate any inputs you guys might ​​​​​​ have for me.

Old 01-13-21, 11:56 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

That looks like non-oem clear coat failure. Was the car damaged in a collision and repainted?
Old 01-13-21, 12:04 PM
dleex
Driver School Candidate

Well this car had no accidents according to the carfax. I'm looking up clear coat failures online and it seems like this may be what it is!
What makes you think it's non-oem if I may ask?
Old 01-13-21, 01:49 PM
dleex
Driver School Candidate

After some research it looks like its a clear coat failure, and there is no way to remedy this unless you sand and recoat the panel.

Well this was not the answer I was hoping for but what can you do? I guess I will have to arrange for this to happen one day.

If anyone has any workarounds that would delay the inevitable it be much appreciated. If not then I guess I can get an opinion and quote from an auto body shop and go from there.
Old 01-13-21, 04:19 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

It seems very odd for OEM paint that is so new to fail like that, especially without any other visible damage. If it is OEM paint then there may have been a chemical that caused it or a rare defect that maybe the dealer can help with. Otherwise it looks like poorly applied body shop clear coat that is peeling.

A body shop would be your best bet, you could reparay and blend in some clear coat on your own but that takes a decent amount of experience. I did it on a past car and it came out well but that's with a few decades of hobbyist experience.
Old 01-15-21, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yeah unfortunately that has definitely been repainted at some point. OEM clear isn't going to fail like that especially on a car so young.

I would take it up with the dealer that sold you the car...no way to stop that other than repainting.
Old 01-16-21, 08:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is clear coat failure but the clear would not fail so soon naturally so something happened, some kind of chemical that eats clear was on that part, a nasty bird dropping was left on the car in direct sunlight that ate through it and likely the previous owner tried cleaning it up or hiding it by taking more clear off. I would take it to the dealer where you bought it and ask about it, if they don't offer to fix it, try telling them they should and you spent a lot of money and would like something done about that eyesore you should have been told about or they should have fixed before they put it on sale, they might offer a discount or ask if they can do it for a discounted price, if they offer do fix it for a $100 or so I would take that offer.

The only way to properly fix it is sand it, paint, and re clear. A temporary fix would be to sand the damaged clear off, rough the surface up slightly and spray a 2K clear on it(you can get spray cans for around $20), it will mostly hide it and last maybe a year, maybe a couple years depending on conditions.
Old 03-14-21, 09:59 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

I wouldn’t spray any clear coat myself. That stuff is toxic.
Old 03-15-21, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I wouldn’t spray any clear coat myself. That stuff is toxic.
Just wear a respirator mask.