Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Bra quandary!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 06:49 PM
LovinLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Bra quandary!

Have done quite a bit of legwork in researching PPF/clear bra, and read MANY testimonials (the latter being a huge factor in developing a mindset) in my pursuit of “to clear bra or not to clear bra,” and am even more unsure with how to proceed than when I first started looking into the topic!!!! For every glowing review, there’s an equally awful one!
Just not quite sure how to proceed.
Received a few quotes from a high-end Auto Spa (in my research that has been the one aspect all seem to agree on- make sure a reputable, skilled shop performs the work). I know the owner, personally, and they do all of our local BMW plant’s performance cars- and have seen the results of their work on everything from a 69 Camaro to a Tesla Model Y. They’re *GOOOOOD.* The quotes are below. With not having another high-end shop to get a quote(s), I have no comparison point in which to evaluate their cost. I had specifically asked for a few a la carte quotes, because still unsure, IF I go with the clear bra, whether to do the bumper. As you well know, the grille consists of about 70% of the bumper on the RC 350 F Sport. With PPF not being cheap, don’t want to make a purchase that would be of little use. The Obsidian Black paint on the 2015 F Sport just purchased two weeks ago is in exceptional condition. Only has 33500 miles, thus, hasn’t been driven much these past 6 years. 90% of the few, small chips I’ve picked out (which is being touched up at the local Lexus dealership next week) are in the hood. I didn’t see any on the bumper, and only one on the very small piece of the top of the fender: the hood and that grille battle for center stage, for sure! Anyways, thoughts on the PPF and exactly which parts are best/ a priority in having it applied??? It’s going to be a daily driver, appx 15 miles a day- city and suburbs- so rock chips, rod debris, etc. are a real concern. Any input is BEYOND appreciated!

*They use 8 mil thick, XPEL Ultimate with a 10 yr warranty.

Quotes:
XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film & Installation on Hood (Full/Wrapped)
$799.00

XPEL Ultimate Cross Country Pkg
Installation on Full Hood (wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirrors, Front Bumper, Door Edge Guards, & Headlights
$1,999.00

Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection Film & Installation on Full Hood, Mirrors, Front Bumper, & Door Edge Guards
$1,399.00
Old 03-05-21, 08:29 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--
I have not done my new-to-me IS350c, but will do the hood, front of fenders, and bumper this summer. First I will repaint the bumper as it has a lot of small rock chips. I have had good color match from https://touchupdirect.com/ in the past. I've used their small pen/brush, and spray can.

On other cars and a pickup and even several bikes, I've had front ends done for usually around $4-500. It seems that your quotes are a bit high. But maybe your market is higher. I suppose you could get some quotes from some other areas.

I've loved having the clear bra on as I have never had any rock chips in any spots where the bra has been. Several vehicles have gone well over 50,000 miles since the install. I'm sold on it. The only down side is that it has a slight orange peel look compared to a good paint job, but usually most people wouldn't notice. If I lived where sand was used on the roads often, I would have it no question.

--
Old 03-05-21, 10:01 PM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had a local shop do a full xpel ultimate full frontal package on my car and I can say it’s well worth it especially on a ultra white car. Any rock chips that go through the paint will show the raw black bumper. I daily drive my car which is mostly highway and I wanted full protection and I hate seam lines so I wanted full hood and fenders. My local shop charged $2,095 before tax. On a black car rock chips won’t really show much but if your keeping your car for a long time then it’s worth it in my opinion because Lexus paint is known to be on the softer side.

Old 03-12-21, 10:33 AM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Seatown206
I recently had a local shop do a full xpel ultimate full frontal package on my car...
^^ Can I ask who gave you the quote? I'm in the Seattle area (I assume you are as well) and scheduled to go in for similar package in early April, but would like to make sure I'm getting a fair price...
Old 03-12-21, 10:48 AM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
^^ Can I ask who gave you the quote? I'm in the Seattle area (I assume you are as well) and scheduled to go in for similar package in early April, but would like to make sure I'm getting a fair price...

I went with north west auto salon up in lynnwood.

http://northwestautosalon.com/