Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Favorite website to buy polish/wax/detailing supplies???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 10:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Favorite website to buy polish/wax/detailing supplies???

Yeah I know put this in the detailing forum, but I've posted a bunch here in the past and this forum is pretty active.

Mainly looking to do a light polish on my 2014 ES350, its that metallic red. Don't have a buffer, thinking a "low speed" "random orbital" job. I don't have any real experience using a buffer, so thinking I should stay away from a high speed one where I can burn thru the paint.

Main thing this car has going against it is the **** job Carvana did in prepping it for sale. In a couple spots(ie pass corner front bumper), where there might have been a minor scratch they went crazy with some sort of compound and put a bunch of swirls in the paint. There are a couple spots on the passenger side doors like this too, you can see the faint outline of a scratch but its surrounded by a bunch of swirl marks. Those scratch spots on the passenger side doors are also circled, like somebody took a white paint pen to circle the scratches, but whoever did the detail didn't get the ghost of the white paint pen out of there. Otherwise the paint is "nice" for being a 2014 with 50k miles, unless you looked really hard from 2 feet away you wouldn't notice these imperfections.

Anyways, good website to buy polish/compound/buffer from??? I'm open to suggestions on what to buy as well, as this kind of makes my head spin because there are so many options.
Old 03-23-21, 10:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Best place to buy buffer/compound/waxes . . .

Mainly looking to do a light polish on my 2014 ES350, its that metallic red. Don't have a buffer, thinking about buying a "low speed" "random orbital" job. I don't have any real experience using a buffer, so thinking I should stay away from a high speed one where I can burn thru the paint.

Main thing this car has going against it is the **** job Carvana did in prepping it for sale. In a couple spots(ie pass corner front bumper), where there might have been a minor scratch they went crazy with some sort of compound and put a bunch of swirls in the paint. There are a couple spots on the passenger side doors like this too, you can see the faint outline of a scratch but its surrounded by a bunch of swirl marks. Those scratch spots on the passenger side doors are also circled, like somebody took a white paint pen to circle the scratches, but whoever did the detail didn't get the ghost of the white paint pen out of there. Otherwise the paint is "nice" for being a 2014 with 50k miles, unless you looked really hard from 2 feet away you wouldn't notice these imperfections.

Anyways, good website to buy polish/compound/buffer from??? I'm open to suggestions on what to buy as well, as this kind of makes my head spin because there are so many options.
Old 03-24-21, 05:58 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

hi, you asked some great questions...
for the beginner/ that you can grow into without having to upgrade for a couple years

The Adam's polishes cordless 15 mm dual action cordless is a great product... no wires, battery decent and does a good job,

stay away from orbitals can do paint harm, for education on products and how to look at apex detail videos on YouTube, good guy

some other thoughts:
pads are as important pick up some yellow lake country pads, orange pads and white for polishing

the polisher is important but as important is a way to cut , clean and polish prior to wax or coatings

Sonax Cut max, great product with yellow or wool pad for deeper scratches or oxidation,
Sonax perfect finish awesome last step with white pad prior to wax or ceramic coatings..

Car pro clear cut also is great to cut with orange pad very high quality

good luck on the detailer journey its a fun hobby I really enjoy it
Old 03-24-21, 05:59 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

forgot to mention another dual action cordless is made by flex, its almost double the price of adams 250 entry point, also a good cordless 15mm dual action polisher

Old 03-24-21, 06:12 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Take a look at Adam's Polishes, they have about any type of product you can think of. They also have plenty of how to videos. The market is flooded with so many brands that you will have to decide for yourself what to go with. Attend some car meets and ask owners what they use.
Old 03-24-21, 06:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Check out obsessed garage videos and products they carry. Think they do a good job testing and screening what works well. Very active community on Facebook

https://www.obsessedgarage.com
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (05-14-21)
Old 03-24-21, 06:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

detailedimage.com
WayneLaR1 (05-11-21)
Old 03-24-21, 07:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I use eshine.ca or autogeek.net for "boutique" stuff (Blackfire, GTechniq, CarPro). Canadian Tire for OTC stuff (Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, Sonax, etc.).

I personally only detail my own cars and the Porter Cable 7424 XP dual action polisher is more than enough for me. Very user friendly on my soft Mazda paint. I think Lexus paint is on the softer side as well, so I would try a mild polish instead of a compound, and I would try a less aggressive pad on the buffer to start.

I bought my 7424 XP on autogeek.net for $150 USD (came with a bottle of Blackfire One Step, which is an all-in-one polish and wax). I also got a set of 6 5.5" flat pads there for $36 USD. Then bought the 5.5" backing pad off Amazon.
Hameed (05-14-21)