Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather damage by alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 01:19 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather damage by alcohol

Hi there,

I have a 2006 RX with ivory leather interior. The car has 70,000 miles and the leather's condition was so far excellent.

I had a small discoloration in the back seat from a pen and used Google to find recommendations how to remove it. Unfortunately, I found a website which suggested the use of alcohol.

So, I used isopropyl alcohol and rubbed it into the spot I wanted to clean. Indeed, I could remove the paint of the pen, but I also damaged the leather. By further reading, I figured out that you should not use alcohol for automotive leather seats or leather in general because it can damage the topcoat If I now use water on the surface, I can see how it penetrates the leather at this spot, so I am pretty sure that the topcoat is partially gone here.

I have attached a picture of the damage. I really feel stupid now.

Before I do further damage, could you please let me know what you would do next? Can it be repaired?

Thanks
Alexander

Old 04-06-21, 02:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

That can be touched up with vinyl/leather paint, I have used SEM Classic Coat with excellent results. Fixing that is just like spraying a body panel or painting anything else you need to have the skill to blend into the surroundings. If SEM doesn't have that colour most local auto body supply places can match and provide paint in an aerosol. Others have talked about leather dyes I personally have not tried them on coated leather.

Either way that is fixable. Yes alcohol readily removes the finish. What colour is your interior? There will be a paint/interior code on the drivers door.
The following users liked this post:
IalexI (04-11-21)
Old 04-06-21, 06:03 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Either way that is fixable. Yes alcohol readily removes the finish. What colour is your interior? There will be a paint/interior code on the drivers door.
@LeX2K: Thank you very much for your fast answer!

The interior code of my car is LA00. Would SEM 17293 match my car?

Last edited by IalexI; 04-06-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-06-21, 06:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Sure looks like it, found an Amazon review that said it perfectly matched up to an LS430 same interior colour as your car? Also found this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...st-an-fyi.html
IalexI (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:04 AM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

I have purchased the SEM classic coat and I would be ready to apply it.

Do you have a good resource regarding the technique of blending (maybe a YouTube video)?

From first sight I would see the color matches. I will certainly let you know of the results!

Best
Alex
Old 04-10-21, 10:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Can't really tell you how to blend, try practising on a piece of cardboard. That leather must be 100% free of dirt and oil I use SEM Soap it is specifically designed to prepare the surface.
IalexI (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Here's my restore procedure:

clean/treat with Leatherique
SEM Soap applied with grey Scotch-Brite pad, let dry for 24 hours (very important)
Paint with Classic Coat

SEM also makes a leather prep spray, I've used it and not used it, saw no difference. Since you are doing only a small area it gets a bit tricky, you don't want to scratch the seat but it does need to be 100% clean. Maybe scrub the seat with SEM Soap and a microfiber clotch instead of Scotch-Brite, SEM says to use the grey pad but they are assuming a full paint not spot.
Old 04-10-21, 04:20 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Dear Lex2K,

the procedure was successful. SEM 17293 is a perfect match for the interior code LA00 of a 2006 Lexus RX330! Just 2 coats were enough and it now looks like before.

I had a look a the interior and found another imperfection in the leather with a crack at the door handle of the right backdoor (picture attached).

What would be the procedure here? Do I need some kind of filler to glue the edges together and then apply the SEM classic? Please advice!

Thanks and best regards,
Alexander

Old 04-10-21, 05:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Good to hear, pics!

To repair that carefully cut the torn edges so they are bevelled meaning don't stick up as much versus the surrounding material. Then fill with leather and vinyl repair compound. Here's where it gets tricky, to match the grain I use black glue sticks used for dent pulling, put a blob near the tear to get the contour/grain. Put some vinyl treatment like 303 to keep the glue from sticking. This will give you the grain/shape the trick comes in how and when you press your glue piece into the repair compound. The compound needs to be dry enough to hold its shape but soft enough to retain the imprint of the glue.

BTW make sure that material can stand the heat of hot glue, should be able to.

When done then of course you give the area a spritz of the SEM, I've tried colour matching the filler compound nope couldn't do it. Easy if the panel is back otherwise good luck.
IalexI (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 05:32 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Which vinyl compound would you suggest using?

Here is a picture of the "repaired" back seat. I really cannot spot a difference in the color, so it really worked well:

Old 04-10-21, 05:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That turned out perfect. The compound I have don't remember where I got it, I've had a few brands they all seemed like the same goop.
IalexI (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 06:27 PM
IalexI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That turned out perfect. The compound I have don't remember where I got it, I've had a few brands they all seemed like the same goop.
Sorry for asking again, but your advice is highly appreciated.

Could you please take a look at this product and tell me, if it is fine? It doesn't really say that it is a compound, but from the description, I think it is correct.

Last edited by IalexI; 04-11-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 08:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IalexI
Could you please take a look at this product and tell me, if it is fine? It doesn't really say that it is a compound, but from the description, I think it is correct.
Looks like the right product. I'd try some on a practice piece or on a piece of paper see how it is when dry. And practice making imprints with your graining glue blob.
Old 04-12-21, 10:08 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IalexI
Which vinyl compound would you suggest using?

Here is a picture of the "repaired" back seat. I really cannot spot a difference in the color, so it really worked well:

That turned out Great. Good job.