Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus OEM door different from original?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 10:15 AM
Dream450H
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus OEM door different from original?!?

Kudos to Lexus owners!!!

Getting body work done on Lexus is always stressful because not many shops can truly match the original quality of Lexus.
That happened to me last few weeks.
I scraped the rear passenger door, as well as parts of the rear fender and the front door against a pillar of a very crowded parking lot.
The repair shop recommended replacing the rear door due to the dent being too invasive, so I went with the recommendation and spent additional $1000.
Now the repair is done, I think the paint quality is ok, but there is audible road noise coming in from the repaired side at 30-50 mph. They may have damaged the insulation or something was not done right even for the minor repair.
The bodyshop is young and swear by its quality and afterservice. The owner of the business asked me to bring back the car for test.
My bigger issue is that, the new OEM door that costed $1000 looks different from the other original door. Specifically there are unfinished open gaps. Photos are attached.
First I thought they told me to replace the whole door and only replaced the panel. But when I asked for the receipt from the owner, the owner provided me with the dealership receipt. So it appears to be an OEM door.
I mean, the whole door should be a finished door, why should there be an unfinished gap left? also the panel alignment looks different.
I guest I am screwed, body repair for such a minor damage costed the whole lexus experience.

Old 10-22-21, 10:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Do you have the part number for the door shown on the dealership receipt? Did you see the door in a Lexus box? Or just the receipt.
Old 10-22-21, 10:51 AM
Dream450H
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dream450H
Kudos to Lexus owners!!!

Getting body work done on Lexus is always stressful because not many shops can truly match the original quality of Lexus.
That happened to me last few weeks.
I scraped the rear passenger door, as well as parts of the rear fender and the front door against a pillar of a very crowded parking lot.
The repair shop recommended replacing the rear door due to the dent being too invasive, so I went with the recommendation and spent additional $1000.
Now the repair is done, I think the paint quality is ok, but there is audible road noise coming in from the repaired side at 30-50 mph. They may have damaged the insulation or something was not done right even for the minor repair.
The bodyshop is young and swear by its quality and afterservice. The owner of the business asked me to bring back the car for test.
My bigger issue is that, the new OEM door that costed $1000 looks different from the other original door. Specifically there are unfinished open gaps. Photos are attached.
First I thought they told me to replace the whole door and only replaced the panel. But when I asked for the receipt from the owner, the owner provided me with the dealership receipt. So it appears to be an OEM door.
I mean, the whole door should be a finished door, why should there be an unfinished gap left? also the panel alignment looks different.
I guest I am screwed, body repair for such a minor damage costed the whole lexus experience.

Yes, 67003. no box...

Hmm.. How can a business buy parts all the way from Annapolis, MD? The shop is in Rockville. That is like minimum an hour drive. They have Lexus in Rockville and Silverspring.. even Alexan
Old 10-22-21, 11:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Look for a TOYOTA stamping on the door, like the one in this listing
https://www.ebay.com/p/1517817604

Name:  jN7m1i8.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  34.8 KB

So either the shop is showing OE part numbers and the parts are not, or Lexus quality is slipping. The door should be identical to the original.
Old 10-22-21, 11:07 AM
Dream450H
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Look for a TOYOTA stamping on the door, like the one in this listing
https://www.ebay.com/p/1517817604

So either the shop is showing OE part numbers and the parts are not, or Lexus quality is slipping. The door should be identical to the original.
Right? Something is not right.
The following was the response from Lexus, Which was rather disappointing:

"Dear =====,

Thank you for contacting Lexus about the recent repair to your RX 400H.

Because we are unable to directly inspect your vehicle, we are not able to provide a technical diagnosis for the concern you are experiencing.

Lexus dealer technicians are specialized in the diagnosis and repair of Lexus vehicles. They are provided with extensive training and have access to state-of-the-art equipment to accurately diagnose and repair your Lexus. Get information for local Lexus dealers by visiting www.lexus.com/dealers.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #211017000002. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

-----
Lexus Brand Engagement Center"
Old 10-23-21, 01:52 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Workmanship looks poor. Unlikely to be OEM.