Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Langka - The Blob elminator

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 02:07 PM
rickw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Langka - The Blob eliminator

Has anyone tried Langka "the blob eliminator" to smooth out touch-up paint? Saw it advertised online www.langka.com but haven't heard if it works well.

Last edited by rickw; 10-04-03 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-04-03, 02:45 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Rick, I have a GM touch-up kit that includes, among other things, a wet sanding block that works great, but you can unnecessarily (and easily) scratch the surrounding area when you get flush with the rest of the surface; you have to be extra careful, or you'll be repairing the clear coat all over again. Corvette people swear by the langka thing, so even though I don't know how it really works, will order one and judge by myself if it works better than the kit I currently have. It's inexpensive enough to be worth the risk, and reportedly that's what the pros use.

Later.

JC
Old 10-04-03, 08:28 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

It takes a little practice, but it works very well.

The nice thing is, if you rub too much of the paint blob off, you can just start again without having done any harm to the paint.

It sure beats sanding.
Old 10-05-03, 09:09 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey, I agree. Sounds like it works with the paint still semi-fresh, huh? Otherwise it'd be the same problem as with sanding: chemical would strip the clear coat/paint along with the touched-up paint.

Would you mind sharing with us the procedure (how to) to use the Langka?

Thanks buddy.
Old 10-06-03, 06:29 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Not Fresh

Acutally, the paint does not have to be "semi-fresh." The Langka will work well for days after the touch-up paint is applied.

Touch-up paint is different from the factory paint. Langka is a solvent (in a light cream form) for only the touch up paint, and has no effect on the factory paint.

The method to use this stuff is to put a lintless cloth over a plastic card (supplied) and wipe the "blob" of touch up paint, as if you were sanding it, until it is even with the surface of the original paint.

Best results are obtained when the touch-up paint has dried for an hour or two. Good results can be obtained days after application of the touch up paint.

Detailed instructions are provided with the product and on the Langka web page. Suffice it to here observe that some practice is helpful, but as noted above, if it does not go well, you just start over again until you get a satisfactory result.

Use lots of light and your reading glasses.
Old 10-06-03, 12:05 PM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks buddy; sounds a little safer than my ultra-fine rubber sandblock, so I'll order it right now. Just touched up the 2 nicks my car had when new (1 inside, 1 in the bumper, probably by the service guy who put 15 miles on my car). I'll leave the 'blobs' there until I receive the kit.

Thanks again.

JC
Old 10-07-03, 09:25 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it and I am EXTREMELY happy with the results. You can't even tell it's been touched up unless you get close up. My RX300 is pearl white so matching the color is almost impossible using touch up paint, but the blob smoothed right out. Fast and easy.

Jeremy
Old 10-08-03, 01:18 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey guys, finally went around to order the stuff, and there's a lot of crap on that website. There're 2 sizes of the main stuff (2oz and 4oz) to begin with, plus pre-paint, paint sealant, clear coat, a complete kit, primer, brushes...
What the hell should I order?? Let us know what you ordered, and what worked.

Thanks guys.

JC
Old 10-08-03, 10:18 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ELP_JC
Hey guys, finally went around to order the stuff, and there's a lot of crap on that website. There're 2 sizes of the main stuff (2oz and 4oz) to begin with, plus pre-paint, paint sealant, clear coat, a complete kit, primer, brushes...
What the hell should I order?? Let us know what you ordered, and what worked.

Thanks guys.

JC
I ordered the complete kit as it comes with everything you'll need.