Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Girlfriend got me a b-day present :) (pressure washer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 02:50 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend got me a birthday present :)

What a wonderfull present - my own Powerwasher sprayes soap too

Last edited by whatuusay1; 10-09-03 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 05:54 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Niiiiice girlfriend!

Beats a necktie any day.

Congrads.
Old 10-09-03, 06:56 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...a powerwasher. Cool. Gas powered or electric. I want a gas powered one....its a pain pulling on the extension cord.

Now here's the worse part of this gift.....she hasn't shown you the list of things to clean yet. LOL!!!

The walkway, her parent's walkway, the driveway, her parent's driveway, the house, the dog house, the underside of the cars, the patio/deck, patio furniture, etc...............

Have fun dude.

Last edited by PHML; 10-09-03 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 09:17 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice present!

I bet you get a PC with Xmas.
Old 10-09-03, 09:56 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Talking

Yea... man this things great!!! Im washin everything... just fer the fun of it She did make me promise to keep her car washed though (Merc Cougar).... tis no lex but a good chick car i supose.

Its electric for those wondering - puts out something like 1400psi bye bye bugs!
Old 10-11-03, 09:48 AM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default Aagggh!

You're not planning on using it to wash your car are you?!
Old 10-11-03, 11:53 AM
whatuusay1
Driver

Um.......Yes......that is what a powerWASHER is for........

It despenses soap..... comes with a CAR wand...... I could be wrong? but thats what its intended for...
Old 10-11-03, 08:30 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default Clean your driveway, not your car

Man, I'd never let a power washer near my car! Sure, it will get the dirt off but it will take your paint as well. I've seen pics of cars (I think it was on the Zaino boards on Edmunds) and it's not a pretty sight!
Old 10-11-03, 08:50 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Hmm.... Sounds like something that would happen when washin the old beater... with pealing paint...

I'm a concerned car owner - Im not going to adjust the thing to 'blow through anything' mode. I still washe the car ... by hand... with meguires soap... and use the power washer to rince - and remove pesky bugs works like a charm, and of course completely dry

~Andrew
Old 10-11-03, 08:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I had it happen on my GS while using a power washer at one of those drive through deals, so be careful.

Click here for the full details.

I had the front end and hood repainted as a result of this (needed it for the rock chips anyway) and the paint shop said that my GS front bumper likely had been repainted by the dealer with a quick job to 'make it look new' when selling (I bought it as a CPO in 1999). Don't think this would happen on OEM paint, but you never know whats been done to your car if you didn't buy it new.

I won't use another one of those sprayers at close range to try to get bugs off ever again. I suspect the professional power of the car wash sprayers puts out more PSI than your home one though.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-11-03 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-12-03, 07:17 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I had it happen on my GS while using a power washer at one of those drive through deals, so be careful.

Click here for the full details.

I had the front end and hood repainted as a result of this (needed it for the rock chips anyway) and the paint shop said that my GS front bumper likely had been repainted by the dealer with a quick job to 'make it look new' when selling (I bought it as a CPO in 1999). Don't think this would happen on OEM paint, but you never know whats been done to your car if you didn't buy it new.

I won't use another one of those sprayers at close range to try to get bugs off ever again. I suspect the professional power of the car wash sprayers puts out more PSI than your home one though.
What did you use a 3000 PSI powerwasher with less then 1 inch spacing between nozzle and car body!
Old 10-12-03, 07:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
What did you use a 3000 PSI powerwasher with less then 1 inch spacing between nozzle and car body!
I couldn't say for sure, it was just one of those drive through hose-it-yourself carwashes. It was a strong stream, but not something you would expect to peel paint with.
Old 10-12-03, 09:15 AM
Guitarman

I view a power washer in the same light as a rotary buffer; Used intelligently, with training and the proper pressure for the job, it's effective. However, most folks tend to think "more pressure= cleans better" and they wind up doing damage like Dave and others have said.T hey are really dangerous on repaints because you never know if the shop that did the work prepped properly, and they can remove that kind of paint FAST.

If you err on the side of using light (PSI) pressure you should be ok.

I have also seen some horror stories. Just use common ( or "uncommon" ) sense and don't try to use it as a panacea for all your car's detail needs. Your hands are still the best tool you have. Cheers.
Old 10-12-03, 09:40 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I couldn't say for sure, it was just one of those drive through hose-it-yourself carwashes. It was a strong stream, but not something you would expect to peel paint with.
Well cheap paint then..i would expect more from the master DaveGS4!
Old 10-12-03, 10:10 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use a pressure wash on my car unless it was to rinse it. If it's still dirty and you use it to wash it, I would feel like I'm grinding the dirt into the paint.

Quick Reply: Girlfriend got me a b-day present :) (pressure washer)