Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

A question on claying

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 11:12 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question on claying

I just ordered my Zaino kit & I'm going to take a shot at claying the car & removing the minor swirl marks etc.

I just had the Armorglove clear bra installed. Am I supposed to clay the clear bra or just the unprotected paint?

Thanks
Old 10-11-03, 12:05 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

u can clay every thing even the glass.
Old 10-11-03, 01:42 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I clayed my clear bra along with the rest of the car and it turned out great. Extremely smooth.
Old 10-13-03, 02:40 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a large bar cut it in half ...........it's easier to work with..
Old 10-13-03, 07:59 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

golfkwesi,

I think you have an indigo ink pearl right?? You had a white one or were going to get about 3 or 4 different ones so I can't keep track. Anyway, I have an indigo ink pearl myself. When you Zaino that sucker you will not believe how awesome it will look. Don't worry about the claying. Just keep your spray bottle handy and keep the surface wet. It's super easy. Clay bar just a little spot on the hood and then just feel it with your finger as compared to other areas. You won't believe it!! It's super smooth. The only thing that sucks is that you can't be driving your baby while your doing this. Just invest a little time and you won't believe how it will look. I went ahead and did 4 coats of Zaino, although I had some swirls from my friendly Lexus dealer. They did what looks like a brillo pad job!! Did you get the Zaino interior stuff too? That leather in a bottle is the best stuff ever for interiors. It keeps my interior spotless and smells like new. Good Luck.

Doc C
Old 10-13-03, 08:58 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default The "tally" for Doc C

Originally posted by Doc C
golfkwesi,

I think you have an indigo ink pearl right?? You had a white one or were going to get about 3 or 4 different ones so I can't keep track. Anyway, I have an indigo ink pearl myself. When you Zaino that sucker you will not believe how awesome it will look. Don't worry about the claying. Just keep your spray bottle handy and keep the surface wet. It's super easy. Clay bar just a little spot on the hood and then just feel it with your finger as compared to other areas. You won't believe it!! It's super smooth. The only thing that sucks is that you can't be driving your baby while your doing this. Just invest a little time and you won't believe how it will look. I went ahead and did 4 coats of Zaino, although I had some swirls from my friendly Lexus dealer. They did what looks like a brillo pad job!! Did you get the Zaino interior stuff too? That leather in a bottle is the best stuff ever for interiors. It keeps my interior spotless and smells like new. Good Luck.

Doc C
Ok Doc C: I better give you the correct tally! Yes I did have a white deal fall thru due to the inspection..actually it turned out to be good because then I decided I would hold out for a Ingigo Ink Pearl with Saddle ( I did lose out on two other Blue/Saddles by debating a few hours ).

My Zaino order has shipped. I ordered one of their kits that contains the swirl product. Mine only has some minor swirls but I guess I give it the works. I didn't purchase the leather in a bottle because I didn't know how often the interior needs it ( I only have 6K miles )? How often should I treat the interior?

I want to get it tinted. What interior color do you have? Have you had it tinted? If so can you share what product, color, tint % you chose and post me some pic's?

Michael
Old 10-14-03, 10:45 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Excellent. I didn't tint my windows yet. I have treated my interior several times with the Zaino. I have the ecru leather and the Zaino keeps it clean and conditioned, as well as resistant to stain. I do a lot of top down driving and it's very dry at 6,025 feet in altitude not to mention UV damage. I like to keep the leather soft and moisturized. I would highly recommend the product. It also helps the leather scent in the car as well. It doesn't smell too cleanser-like.

Doc C
Old 10-14-03, 07:18 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

If you really want to feel the differance get the out side clear
wraper from a pack of cigarettes slip 3 fingers in it and rub
lightly over the part you clayed then do the same on the part
that is not clayed. Wow what a differance. The un-clayed part
will feel like sandpaper. This little demo. will show you what
claying is all about.
Old 10-18-03, 06:49 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Zaino

golfkwesi

Since you are going to use Zaino, please see this link on tips: Nick's Zaino tips

After you have polished your finish, one thing you have to remember with Zaino is that it needs to bond to oil/wax free finish. Several ways to accomplish this, Dawn wash, alcohol/water spray, Megs APC+.

Once you get ready for ZFX/Z5, shake the Z5 really well, mix ZFX/Z5 in the mix bottle, shake that well and let it sit as you spray the finish with Z6 first. Once that's done, grap your applicator pad, lightly spray that with Z6 and start the Z5 application VERY, VERY THIN! Once dry, wipe off. If you notice streaks, DO NOT USE Z6 to remove! Mix 1/2 cap Z7 wash with 12oz distilled water in a spray bottle. Spray the effected area and wipe. No streaks! You can put three coats of Z5 on in one day. Use Z6 between coats for best results. Next day, same thing for Z2. Shake, Mix, Sit, Spray Z6, apply Z2.

For those into detailing, I highly recomend Autopia.org site. You will find just about any answer to you questions on detailing technique and products.

See my Zaino results in my sig below!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-18-03, 09:23 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Thanks to everyone!

Deanski - thanks for the link to Nicks Tips. This is going to be a totally new experience for me. Prior to this forum ( and my Zaino kit arrival ) I was using Mothers or Nufinish 3 - 4 times a year.

After washing today I ran my finger over the paint and was able to feel the fine contaminants in the paint so I am looking forward to my first claying. Temperature here in Tampa should not create any problems so I'm looking forward to multiple layers.

I do have some minor ( at least I think they are minor ) swirls from the dealer prep so I'll try the Z5 first. Am I supposed to put multiple coats of Z-5 on ( before any Z2/ZFX ) until I can't see any of these swirls?

Can I use the Zaino on the pie plate replacements too?

I'll post a pic after my first true detailing adventure!
Old 10-20-03, 01:49 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Zaino

If you have the Z18 clay, cut it up in thirds, you don't need to use the whole clay! Just flaten one third out, use the Z6 as a lube and clay away. Once it gets a bit dirty, mold/stretch it until clear again. If you drop it, toss it! Never try to save any that dropped on the ground!

Or, go to a autoparts store and look for Clay-Magic. Great clay kit as well!

yes you can layer Zaino and put it on the wheels as well as carnuba will not last due to heat generated by the brakes. Only a real sealant will last on a wheel.

As for any swirls, you will really need to remove them. If you own a "PC" or Porter-Cable 7224 or similar random-orbital polisher, you will need to try a polish pad first with Megs' #9. If you don't have a polisher, you CAN use 100% USA cotton towels. They will give enough bite for the polish to work. If the #9 does not remove them, you will need to step up to Megs DACP (Dual-Action Cleaner/Polish) and work with that. Then, once swirls are gone, continue to a finer polish like Megs Hand Polish or Menzerna-FP. This will get it to look like a mirror, which is what you want prior to Zaino. Zaino Z5 does very minor swirl hiding, and since Zaino is so optically pure, it shows most everything! More info on swirls and how to deal with them at Autopia.org!

Your best bet is the removal of swirls first, then three coats ZFX/Z5 wait a day, Spray Z6 prior to ZFX/Z2. Same procedure, Z6 between coats for better results.

If you do not like the reflection Zaino gives, you could top it with a high quality carnuba like P21S/S100 or Souveran Paste. This will deepen the look. Don't like the wax over Zaino? Remove it with Dawn or alcohol/water spray, or Megs APC+ at 63:1.

For day-to-day QD work, I use two different QD's, Megs FD (FInal Detail-Detailer line) or Clearkote QS (Quick Shine). Less $$$ than Z6. Use the Z6 for those "important" days of getting it ready to drive.

Post some pics when done!

Regards,
Deanski

Last edited by Deanski; 10-20-03 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 02:20 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Dr Shine

Again many thanks for the detailed reply. I do not own a buffer ( years ago I purchased an orbital that was supposed to not allow you to burn the paint...but I did ) so I'll go it by hand. I'll try the three coats of Z5 in hopes that it will eliminate the swirls.

Just received my microfiber towel order from Ranney ( do you realize what an effect you've already had on me? ) so I'll try to plan the time necessary to " begin the journey".

Mahalo,

Michael
Old 10-21-03, 05:35 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Dr. Shine: the jouney has begun!

Last night I began the process:

1. washed with Dawn dishwashing soap then dried

2. Clayed (for the first time ) using Zaino claybar & Z7 mixed in spray bottle for lots of lube

3. washed with Z7 & dried

4. mixed ZFX with Z5 then polished with a single coat

5. finished with Z6

by that time it was 1:00am. Got a great compliment on the finish today and I haven't even applied my three coats of Z2...wow!

Dr. Shine: I took your advice and bought a bottle of Mag#9 to do a better job on the swirls before the Z2 when it's all done I'll post some pictures

PS: are we limited on just a single picture per post?
Old 10-21-03, 06:46 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default #9 and Zaino

Well, great to hear it went well! It's a great look when done well, but can again highlight any defects. Love the way Zaino just shines! Very reflective! BTW, what color is the finish?

As you may know, once you apply #9, that WILL remove ALL Zaino.

But, your finish will be free of swirls if they are light. It may take some time and effort, but it CAN be done even by hand! If you are still finding swirls are hard to remove, then you will have to move up to Megs DACP, then back to #9 for final swirl removing and finer polishing to remove any haze left from DACP.

For more mirror wet look, after #9, use the Megs Hand Polish #81. This replaced #7 Show Car Glaze for me as it was too oily. Another one I use is 3M PIII-MG. Just don't use PIII-FG as it contains carnuba.

Just remember, once all polishing is done and you're happy. It's time to strip the oils from the polish so you're Zaino can crosslink and bond. One good Dawn wash and I follow with a quick Z7 wash right away to remove all film that may be left from Dawn. Then, I went straight to ZFX/Z5 to make sure all if any spider-webs are filled and gone. I did three coats of Z5. Went to ZFX/Z2 next day. I'm finding out the longer the Zaino sits on the finish before you remove it, the easier it is and the better the results. I had one coat set up overnight one summer night and it came out really nice!

Keep an eye on Autopia.org site for more info on all type of polishing/wax/sealants. One person to view results is Scottwax. He uses mostly Clearkote products called VM/CMW. A new one that Meguiars is now testing called "Lab Sample D" is really nice. You can also see it at Showcargarage.com forums. I think it was a post on a MB day.

It took me hours upon hours to try Zaino the first time myself! had too many swirls, so most time was spent removing them with a "PC". Next time I'm using my rotary "Ro-Zilla" a Makita 9227C polisher. Just much quicker and better results than even a PC.

If you have any problems, please feel free to PM me as well! The Doctor is happy

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-21-03, 09:28 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Dr Shine & #9

I have the Ingigo Ink Pearl/Saddle. I didn't realize that the #9 will eliminate last nights labor over Z5 & Z6 so thanks again for cluing me in.

You are right, after the Z5/Z6 ( and claying ) I sure noticed every little issue in the paint. Hope to have some time this weekend to apply the #9 ( by hand ) so the swirls go bye-bye then back on the journey of Z5 to eventually ZFX/Z2!

Am I correct in that the #9 is considered "polishing" so that another dawn wash then Z7 wash are next in line once I am happy with the results of the #9??

This is truly a labor of love but w-o-w ; what a difference the claying & one coat of Z5 & Z6 did for this Ingigo Ink Blue!

I can only imagine the look after multiple coats of Z5 and Z2

Thanks again, Dr Shine, for brightening my day again!

Michael