Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Winter detailing preparation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 08:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default Winter detailing preparation?

Experts:

What sort of detailing do you do (if any) to prepare your cars for the winter months? I've got one that sits inside (my GS) and one that sits outside (my LS), so I'm interested in both.

My standard fare in late fall is to give a thorough cleaning and a couple of coats of Klasse on my GS. Is there more? Is there any issue with not using products that could get moisture in vinyl, rubber, leather that might freeze and crack? What might those be?
Old 10-12-03, 07:19 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

easy for me. I just take the Toyota 4-Runner out for a car wash and make sure the antifreeze is ok and the tank of gas is full and ready to go.

Old 10-12-03, 01:38 PM
Guitarman

Dave, I'm not sure i'm understanding the last part of your question, so you may need to elaborate on it a bit more;

Is there any issue with not using products that could get moisture in vinyl, rubber, leather that might freeze and crack? What might those be?
If by that you mean -do any of these products lose their properties when applied in the cold-, well, not that myself or anyone on the detailing forums has noted. I can tell you not to leave your waxes and sealants in sub freezing garages etc. generally because they can seperate and coagulate in their original state in the bottle. I had that happen to some Meguiar's Gold Class years ago, and have read it about it happening to a few other products when they freeze too. But as to it occuring after you apply them, be it leather products or silicone dressings etc. I would say not to worry.

Interesting question though.

I would just keep up the wax/sealant regimen on both, especially the LS, and rinse the undercarriage whenever you wash them to remove any salt.
Old 10-12-03, 07:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I wasn't thinking about product storage being an issue, but I guess it is. All my stuff is in a corner shelf in the garage next to the door that I'm sure gets well below freezing at times. Any short list of stuff we should bring inside?

I was more thinking about the old caution you may have heard about Armor All (which I don't use) - don't put it on your dash in the winter because it can cause it to crack. Not sure if this was a real issue, but it seems like it could be rational if we're putting products on our cars that might freeze and expand.
Old 10-12-03, 09:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I know a good suggestion that i personally do myself for winter storage.

Pressure wash and degrease the entire underside of the car and go get some rubber undercoating spray. Blast the underside of the car with the rubberized undercoating to seal and protect the car from moisture / rust / elements of the winter storage.
Old 10-13-03, 06:34 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.L.T., now that really interests me! Where do you get that stuff and do you know of any techniclal basis for its use.

Does using an undercoating spray void warranty?

A lengthy debate on this RX thread produced nothing like you are using, fwiw.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=95962

tia
Old 10-13-03, 08:09 AM
Guitarman

Dave, the Armor-All issue with cracking dash's was likely more related to it's former chemical composition, as it contained dimethyl silicone oils and they tended to remove plasticizers from plastic and vinyl, causing cracking. They changed over to a water based PDMS silicone a few years back and now it's a decent product. They were forced through tire litigation to re-formulate because of the amount of sidewall cracking etc. The dimethyls messed with the process of "blooming" which involves a micro wax and UV, and keeps the tires pliable among other things.

I would probably keep the car car products you use under the sink etc. for the winter. There was a thread at Autopia on this issue and you may want to do a search if you're a member (non -linkable site since it's password protected). I know freezing in the container IS an issue with many waxes and sealants. Cheers.
Old 10-13-03, 12:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Good info. I think it might be appropriate for us to make a 'preparing your Lexus for winter' annoucement at some point mid-fall and link to some of the past threads about winter driving, snow tire recommendations, (and now) storage of detailing products .

Of course those of you in FL don't usually have to deal with all the fun.
Old 10-15-03, 05:21 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Guitarman

I would just keep up the wax/sealant regimen on both, especially the LS, and rinse the undercarriage whenever you wash them to remove any salt. [/B]
I planned on waxing my car before it got too cold again for the winter, what are the benefits and purpose of sealant? Do you have any recommendations on what products to use?

Dave, I for one would appreciate a winter preparation thread. First storm in NY last year was over 12" inches. I've heard the SC is not the best car in snow, to make matters worse I brought some new Yokohama AVS Db S2's that will be virtually useless in the snow from what I hear. Thinking about a $500 beater car now.
Old 10-15-03, 05:49 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, a winter prep thread is a good idea, at least for us northerners!

I can't stand seeing all that uncoated metal underneath my baby and not knowing what to do about it!
Old 10-18-03, 05:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/3munruunbl.html

http://www.discount-car-parts-online...ting-Spray.htm

this is available at most parts stores.
http://www.iboats.com/products/7/411...ercoating.html

"For rustproofing and sound deadening, also for sealing fenders, quarter panels, door panels, repaired sections, welded joints, hoods and decks. "
(i used to use it as spray dynomat, doing the underside of your car will make it nice and quiet!)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-18-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 03:49 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

technics,

A sealant is a synthetic wax type product that gives unbelievable durability and lasts much longer than carnauba waxes. Sealants can last 6 months to a year so it's a great idea to use in the winter or all season. Some sealant products out there are Zaino, Blackfire, Megs #20, Medallion premium paint protection, Poorboy's EX Sealant w/carnauba and Klasse. I use Klasse All-in-one(AIO) followed by Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze(SG) and topped with Poorboy's EX Sealant(EX). Klasse AIO and SG are so easy to apply and easy to remove and it gives off a brilliant shine. The EX is also very easy to apply and remove and looks killer on top of Klasse AIO & SG. It looks great on it's own too, but isn't as durable as Klasse. Check out autopia.org. It is the best detailing site on the net.

Jeremy