Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help I got tree sap ALL OVER MY CAR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 07:03 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I got tree sap ALL OVER MY CAR!

woke up this morning and jesus christ...

tons of treesap on the hood, on the glass, the roof... and the trunk

PLEASE help me get this shyte off! next to nothing is workin!
Old 10-14-03, 07:29 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Tree sap on cars is much worse than getting bird dropped. The stuff becomes a hardened, sticky mess in time. What I have used when I got tree-sapped before was using as much Quik Detailer spray as I could to get rid of most of the sap, leaving just the white outlines. Then I used a good amount of 3M Swirl Mark Remover to remove the outlines and smooth out the finish on the paint. This 2-step process actually did an excellent job in taking out the tree sap, even if it sat there all night. Now I never park under any pine tree

Here's a pic of what the tree sap did to my rear 'LEXUS' emblem (focus on the letter 'U'), which forced me to de-badge. Yee-haw!
Attached Thumbnails Help I got tree sap ALL OVER MY CAR!-rear-old-lexus.jpg  
Old 10-15-03, 07:29 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some saps (depending on type of tree) can be tougher than others, but generally speaking, denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol easily removes it, even when hardened. Just use plently of alcohol on a cotton rag and don't rub hard. If it's not been there long it will easily melt away. If it's harder it may take a few minutes. There will be a white haze that you need to wax or polish off, from the sap residue, but you need to wax anyway since the alcohol strips wax and sealant.

If there is a "ring" left where the sap was, you either have to compound or polish it out, or if it's etched too deep, learn to live with that ring/outline.

One thing i try to tell people to remember; Sap resins are used to make shellac. What thins shellac? DENATURED ALCOHOL Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-15-03 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-15-03, 08:19 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys

I wokeup at 5am this morning washed my car, used acetone to get the crap off the flass, then used bug and tar to get most of it off then used alcohol to clean everything up... came out pretty nice so i went to work today with a clean and sap free lex... It was easier to clean because it only sat on there for one day
Old 10-16-03, 04:09 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gman, et al., tks much. I have old tree sap on the old car, I can't wait to get off. tks for the info.

I stopped parking under pines years ago .. ...