Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Quick Detail Help, how are you getting a quick shine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 02:46 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Chiming in here... @BMGS has given you solid recommendations. Here's my 0.02... I've lived in SFL since '93 (all 3 counties) and used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (cheap one step product) once or twice a year on all my cars and the paint and clear coat has held up in every case. No clear coat failure at all and I kept my last 2 cars 15 and 19 years respectively. I applied the Cleaner Wax by hand with an applicator sponge and tons of "elbow-grease". Also used cotton terry towels and old T-Shirts, a big no-no in today's detailing age.

Since upping my car game to Lexus in 2018, I upped my polish game and went to the Blackfire One Step with a Griot's dual action polisher. I also use the Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer about every other wash after drying, full strength, to get the sealant properties. For my daughter's Civic, after the Blackfire, I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax as a maintenance topper after each wash.

My GS gets washed about every 1-3 weeks, the Civic, every 4-8 weeks.

I've kept it simple... no claying, no Iron Decon, and a one bucket wash. When the Meg's Spray Wax had run out, I picked up Blackfire's Detail Spray, but that is just more of a "dust remover" for light soiling, does not really offer any true protection from the elements. Thinking of upping the game to a hybrid ceramic or graphene spray as a topper for the Civic after washing... I like Meguiar's products, but will also use Turtle Wax and Griot's. Chemical Guys and Adams have a faithful following, but I don't have any experience with these products.

I just used the Blackfire to polish/ coat/ seal a new Toyota GR86 we picked up on July 30th, applying it with the polisher and a soft foam pad, and topped with the Sonax BSD. This coming weekend after a wash, I will dry and apply the BSD again. My son's heading to college and the car will likely only see washes when he visits, hopefully every few weeks, so I want the paint to be protected.

My advice... unless you become a detailing freak... KISS... Keep It Super Simple!