Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus leather is it dyed or sprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 10:45 AM
Lvangundy

Default Lexus leather is it dyed or sprayed?

Is the leather dyed or sprayed? Do different years have different processes?
Old 10-18-03, 09:23 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not easy info to find

I wish we had a leather industry expert on here to say for certain just what lexus buys from their suppliers, but the best insight into this I can find on this is general automotive leather facts contained in these links. Scroll down to the paragraph on "pigmented "leathers, as it's suggested the type used in the auto industry.

http://www.leathercare.com.au/clc_leather.htm

This page speaks to pigmented spray coloring and that dye isn't applicable to automotive leathers.
I have read that older US and european leathers were vat dyed years ago, but today the Japanese leathers and many US makes contain pigmented sprayed leather coloring and surface topcoats of a clear vinyl poly to protect it. The funny part is, most oem leathers aren't actually really leather on the surface (underneath they are of course) so applying leather conditioning oils is futile for the most part. You can clean and treat it as vinyl. Here's more on that;

http://www.discountautoparts.net/how...20030901LC.htm

People don't want to hear that their leather is actually vinyl coated and that their conditioner can't really soften it because it's not porous. I (and others) have echoed this for years since it was brought to my attention, but most seem to scoff it off and keep buying the leather conditioners anyway. Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

Here is more interesting info;

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>

And finally, this again shows the types of leather and their particular makeup and uses.

http://www.stainsafe.com/ssafe/faq.asp

Note this paragraph;
PROTECTED, also called Finished, Semi-Aniline, Everyday, Pigmented or Painted
These leathers have combined the best aspects of a natural product (leather) and have utilized tannery technology to create a product that is more uniform in appearance and color (due to the application of pigments to the surface). It then has a finish applied to the surface that makes the leather more resistant to the effects of heavy use. The pigments and finish applied to the leather do affect the softness and hand somewhat. The more that is needed to be applied - the less soft the leather is.
Until i can find a more difinitive answer pertaining to what Lexus grade and type Lexus uses, from this we would have to assume it's sprayed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because according to the data the automotive leathers get pigmented leather because of the harsh abuse it gets-it's about the most durable process available. I can tell you that Lexus buys better grades of leather than Hundai does. That sure helps me at least.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-18-03 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-18-03, 10:29 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't aniline leather (which I'm assuming is vat-dyed), an option on the top tiers of the LS430, which has 3 grades of leather for '04? If so, I'm guessing that is the only Lexus with aniline leather.

Edit. I know this German company supplies leather for the SC430, not sure of other models : http://www.bader-leather.de/

Last edited by squarehat; 10-18-03 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-18-03, 04:39 PM
Guitarman

It may just be Squarehat, any other info you can find on that would be helpful if possible. For all I know, it may true of the GS leather (and others?) as well, I just can't find any firsthand info on it at the moment, only general oem stuff.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-18-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 06:44 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my front seats re-dyed last week at the dealership. A mobile van called "DR. VINYL" does touch up jobs there. To my knowledge, it is sprayed on... Seats look brand new again however I was told that some aftermarket seat conditioner creams may react with the aftermarket dye therefore I have to see the guy again so he can apply a special oil on the seats. This is the same oil that is used on exotic car seats. I will have more info next week when I take my car in and talk to the guy.

Note: Make sure that all leather seats are stripped of oil's and conditioners before having the dye put on. The dye will not soak into the leather if that step is not done..

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 10-18-03 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 07:19 AM
VI Rep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seats dyed

I also had my seats dyed by the lexus dealership. My seats were fine but the drivers seat was not as new looking as the other seats in the car. I brought it to the dealership and they dyed it and it was almost back to new. I was shocked at what the dealership could do with the dying of the seats.
Old 11-03-03, 04:51 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dyed or painted, mine absorb the Lexol I used to put on them pretty fast, the Leatherique I just got is next, will see see if that is soaked up.