Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I want my leather to look like new!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 01:13 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation I want my leather to look like new!!

My 45k mile 99 GS400 has leather up front that looks bad. I'm willing to spend just about any amount of money (within reason) and take just about any amount of time required, to get my leather looking like new.

It has the following issues, particularly with the front seats in the middle of the upper seat where your lower/mid back rests against.
-It has absorbed some dye from my leather jacket (looks really bad on light tan colored leather
-It's starting to develop a 'worn' look... a few little cracks and fissures here and there
-It is hard\stiff feeling... no longer feels a soft as it did when new

So what products do I need to buy to correct this? I've heard that there are some DIY dye kits and some really good leather conditioners out there- some that you apply and cover with seran wrap and let it sit for a few hours and it softens up the leather.

The only thing I want to avoid doing is screwing it up more, wasting my time, or having the leather outright replaced.
Old 10-20-03, 04:59 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-It has absorbed some dye from my leather jacket (looks really bad on light tan colored leather.
This isn't always easy because the products that will generally remove it will also often damage the leather's finish. You may want to try this approach;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=93591

-It's starting to develop a 'worn' look... a few little cracks and fissures here and there
Even harder. Once you get cracks you're very limited, but you may want to look into this from Leatherique;

http://www.leatherique.com/prod05.htm

It's not a simple process, but it's perhaps the only alternative with cracking other than replacing the leather panel.

-It is hard\stiff feeling... no longer feels a soft as it did when new

http://www.leatherique.com/prod01.htm

Leatherique's 'Rejuvenator Oil' is arguably the best product on the market for this concern. You may want to do a search of it and see what others have used that product ,and what they say. I used it years ago on some Cadillac leather, and it made a night/day difference, but it was UN-coated leather too. Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-20-03 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 10:38 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta use leatherique.. its worked for my 1991 LS400.. it does wonders
Old 10-22-03, 03:50 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Leatherique for me too. Nothing beats the product.

Jeremy