Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Lu Bu's IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 09:43 AM
LuBu
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

It's interesting that the ECU is able to read the TPMS -AND- temperature of the tires, yet not actually display them in the gauge cluster, or the head unit...

Old 05-13-23, 12:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

You can see all that data in Techstream. Pity it won't show up on a display like it does in the wife's GS F.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
21ce (05-15-23), LuBu (05-13-23)
Old 05-13-23, 05:45 PM
LuBu
Driver

Alright, it's time for the review, now that I've driven almost a thousand miles. This car is ****ing spectacular. I'm fortunate to be experiencing the IS-F as my first RWD car.

Power:
This is the most powerful vehicle that I've had yet. It pulls well, and feels superb. I've monitored the engine today through my ScanGauge 3, and it's performing flawlessly. I don't really have any spots that I deem safe to do high speed pulls, so the fastest I've driven is to 100 MPH. It moves quickly to 100 MPH, and it's euphoric. The induction sound is eargasmic once the second intake valve opens up. It's satisfying to drive conservatively, spiritedly, and also hooningly.

Brakes:
These are the best performing brakes that I've experienced yet. Stopping power is unrivaled compared to the previous cars. Pedal feel is confidence inspiring. I enjoy braking late. Brake dust is quite atrocious, though.

Handling:
This is probably the most enticing aspect of this car. I ****ing love taking hard turns. This car has defied the limits that the previous cars held. The chassis is super stable and planted during cornering. I feel as one with the car. The seats are exceptional for my frame right now. I haven't had any problems with traction yet, and I will continue to push the limits because it's truly fascinating. The tires are also fantastic, and they are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus.

Transmission:
While warming up, and driving civilized, the transmission is comfortable and composed in normal mode. By turning on Sport mode after the car has come to operating temperature, all aspects liven up. However, the true magic occurs while in Sport-M mode, where you have full control over the gears. Raw, savage, bestial, and ruthless are some words to describe the exhilarating feeling I attain when actually enjoying the car at its peak potential.

Aesthetics:
One sad aspect is that I don't get to witness the exterior of the car when I'm driving it. I actually like how it looks quite a bit. It has presence.

So, what is it that I don't like about the car? Well, it doesn't ****ing matter. The overall experience is euphoric and trumps any negative aspects. What a sensational vehicle. I don't value it at the MSRP that it had. However, the price that I paid for it, well, I already received my perceived value out of it already in the first thousand miles.

I'm in love. I don't want the honeymoon phase to ever end.
The following 5 users liked this post by LuBu:
21ce (05-15-23), bakalag (05-16-23), iH8RICERZ (05-15-23), Mark6pot (09-16-23), minator (05-13-23)
Old 05-18-23, 07:42 PM
LuBu
Driver

I took the IS-F out for a cruise today, after it's been sitting for a few days. What a pleasure to drive, even gently. The engine is performing flawlessly, which is indicated by the ScanGauge 3.

The fantasizing and lusting over a material item, such as a car, prior to obtaining it, feels as if it will never become a reality. However, the moment the item is obtained, it feels as if I've always had it. What a bizarre experience. Has this phenomenon changed me as a being? Some aspect has changed... The hunt is over, and I can rest. There must have been some peace and harmony that was found. I can cherish the experience as a physical aspect, rather than a mental one.

I don't remember the last time I actually saw an IS-F on the road. ~5,000 cars over 50 states means there are on average ~100 cars per state...
Old 05-19-23, 10:28 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

I appreciate your passion. The ISF is my forever car. I've thrashed it on and off the track/road course, have done 1200 miles round trips, have tinkered with it endlessly, and it's always been dependable. BTW, my front suspension bushings are basically all spherical, harder steering rack bushings, penske coilovers, bunch of chassis bracing, -2* camber, sway bars, etc, and the turn in on the car is ridiculously good. I've enjoyed modifying suspension on this car more than anything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDMV8:
lobuxracer (05-21-23), LuBu (05-19-23)
Old 05-19-23, 09:13 PM
LuBu
Driver

For the moment being, I'm only considering Vland tail lights as the only modification. I like the aesthetics, and they're relatively inexpensive for a product to make the IS-F seem more modern. The Vland head lights are glorious, and every IS-F owner needs to purchase them. Not only do they look pleasing, the visibility is exquisite at night.

I'm not particularly fond of how much the power modifications cost, and the car has more than enough power for me in stock form. I'll contemplate suspension at a later point. I need to bring the car up to par with maintenance, and the broken or missing pieces. I also want to source a second set of OEM wheels for a decent price.

I took some pictures last Saturday that I only just remember about now. I'll take a look at them, and post if any turned out appealing.
Old 05-19-23, 09:23 PM
LuBu
Driver

The following users liked this post:
21ce (05-21-23)
Old 05-21-23, 05:28 AM
LuBu
Driver

I don't have anywhere I can safely attempt a high speed WOT run. The fastest I've been was to 90 MPH, and it attains that speed quite quickly. I am curious how it pulls from 90-130, though.

So, in D-Sport mode, the transmission hesitates/pauses for a moment when shifting. The instantaneous shifts only occur in M-Sport mode, correct?

This is my first car with an oil temperature gauge. From my observations, the ATF and the engine oil take about the same amount of time to reach operating temperature.

Have I already become accustomed to the power because of the way that I fit inside of the car? I'm literally fixed into place and do not move during the entire driving experience. In essence, I'm one with the car. Switching cars from the IS-F to the TL SH-AWD is like switching from a racing seat to a sofa. It's quite hysterical.

I ****ing love the way the IS-F performs, in all aspects. I love braking hard. I love taking hard turns. I love going WOT. A poem:

It just accelerates,
It just stops,
It just turns,
Oh, so beautifully well;
My beloved IS-F.

I didn't purchase this car for fuel economy. I imagine any enthusiast that is purchasing an IS-F isn't concerned about how much fuel is going to cost. However, it's remarkable that I can achieve almost 30 MPG when cruising on the highway. Even the overall average with WOT's is low to mid 20's.

Since this is my first RWD car, are there any nuances that I should be aware of? I've only attempted to push the car during dry and warm scenarios. The limits must be very high since I haven't experienced understeer or oversteer yet. I should also attempt an emergency stop to truly experience the stopping power. The pedal feel is superb.
Old 05-24-23, 04:15 PM
LuBu
Driver

I was supposed to purchase a set of IS-F wheels today, however, the seller lied about them being OEM, as they were replicas...
Old 06-03-23, 06:01 PM
LuBu
Driver

Today, I went on a road trip and purchased a set of great condition front seats to replace my worn out ones. I'll post a picture of the difference when I get around to swapping them out in the next couple of days.
Old 06-08-23, 03:16 PM
LuBu
Driver

I haven't gotten around to installing the seats yet. I anticipate that it will occur on Saturday, at this rate. An odd event that I've noticed, and must ask... When in Park, does the AFR automatically lean out in order to conserve fuel?

Old 06-08-23, 03:39 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,555 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by LuBu
I haven't gotten around to installing the seats yet. I anticipate that it will occur on Saturday, at this rate. An odd event that I've noticed, and must ask... When in Park, does the AFR automatically lean out in order to conserve fuel?

at idle, whether in park or in gear, the computer will try to maintain an ideal 14.7:1 a/f ratio.
The following 2 users liked this post by JT2MA71:
lobuxracer (06-09-23), LuBu (06-08-23)
Old 06-10-23, 08:21 AM
LuBu
Driver

I swapped the newer seats in earlier. 196k mile seats vs. 95k mile seats:

Old 06-11-23, 04:38 AM
LuBu
Driver

What're my options in regards to adhesive for this passenger door trim? I tried to search for the issue with different key words, however, I wasn't able to come across any threads pertaining to this issue.

Old 06-14-23, 12:35 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Door window lower trim (aka belt molding, 75710-53021) is held in place by several clips. Looks like one or more are missing here.
See this video for tips:
The following users liked this post:
LuBu (06-15-23)

Quick Reply: Lu Bu's IS-F