Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Lu Bu's IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-24, 02:42 PM
LuBu
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

My local deal is a swindler... The prices I printed were from their online site...

Thankfully, the dealer from AZ that I ordered from last time is much more reasonable...

I won't have access to a lift until 8/10, so that's when I'm scheduled to change out the rear differential fluid. I don't know if I will drive the car in the meantime, since there's no point in risking driving with an unknown amount of fluid remaining.

I have one more issue that I need to resolve, as well. I need to do some research before I ask for help.
Old 08-03-24, 11:31 AM
LuBu
Driver

The plugs and washers have arrived. I'm ready to swap out the fluid on next Saturday.

After washing the car, there is a small amount of water that pools in the trunk. It didn't end up being the seal/molding or the trim. After reading about others' experiences on the forum, it seems that it may be the rubber plugs inside of the trunk that are allowing water to enter. I'll have to replace them and find out if they are truly the culprit.
Old 08-10-24, 06:03 PM
LuBu
Driver

I was presented with a dead battery today, so I purchased an AGM.

This was my first time changing the fluid on a rear differential, and it was surprisingly easy. I'd say it's easier than even an engine oil change. I was too excited to change the fluid, and forgot my phone inside the car, so no pictures. The initial fluid that followed the drain plug was a disgusting gel-like goop... It was the most repulsive fluid I've ever seen, personally. There was quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnet, as well. The squeeze pouches for the fluid is a game changer, compared to pumping fluid in. I also cleaned as much as I could with brake cleaner around the differential.

There were no leaks around the transmission, so it seems that I performed the service correctly.

Then, I cruised and hooned for 200 miles. I'm pleased that maintenance is finally up to par. Today was the first time driving in manual mode since the transmission fluid change. The shifts are much smoother, compared to before.

This car is so phenomenal!
Old 08-17-24, 02:45 PM
LuBu
Driver

I'll be lifting the car tomorrow to check the undercarriage once more. In the meantime, I'm considering on replacing just the front tires with the stock sizing. I want to learn how to dismount, mount, and balance wheels, and this will be the opportune moment to do so. It's going to cost ~$470 for two Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ in 224/40ZR19. I still have yet to order the RR Racing USRS.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the inside wear of the front tires. I don't know how many miles are remaining in them until the cords begin to show.
Old 08-18-24, 02:01 PM
LuBu
Driver

Well, it's difficult to discern how much oil has leaked after 250 miles. I will need to find a chemical that can clean up the mess, and then pressure wash it off.

This is the driver's side front tire:

This is the passenger side front tire:

The inside of the passenger's side tire is wearing out faster than the driver's side. I don't know how many miles to expect that these tires will last.

Now, that I have peace of mind with the leaks, for the most part, I will drive the IS F more spiritedly. I will most likely lift the car again next weekend to inspect the rear differential again. If there isn't excessive oil splattered around, I may decide to just swap out the muffler delete regardless.

As imperfect as the car currently is, it drives superbly well. I'd like to prepare it for a lap around the Tail of the Dragon in the next couple of months.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
LuBu
Driver

Yesterday, I ordered a TPMS sensor, and Vland smoked taillights. We'll find out if I can manage to resolve the TPMS light without having to go to the local dealership. When I purchased the car, it came with some spare parts, and brakes were part of it. The current equipped brake pads are getting low, and the rotors have a thick lip. I'm going to purchase the remaining items, and I intend to replace all of the brake pads and rotors before winter.
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
LuBu
Driver

Just replaced the trunk drain plugs. I'll swap in the Vland taillights when they arrive, and then take the car through a carwash. We'll find out if the issue has been resolved only then.