Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Lu Bu's IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 11:14 AM
LuBu
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems that I'm lazy, so the rear bumper exhaust garnish, and the muffler delete, will have to wait. I managed to cruise over 300 miles yesterday, though. The car feels stellar in stock form. I'm excited to feel what another reduction of ~20 lb of rotational mass will feel like on this platform.
Old 04-29-24, 07:07 PM
LuBu
Driver

I'm scheduled for Saturday, to change the oil, and inspect the undercarriage. I have all of the tools, and now the knowledge, necessary to perform the oil change. I'll take pictures of the undercarriage, in case I have any questions to ask. Then, I'll order the first batch of modifications, and anything else that may be required.
Old 05-04-24, 12:10 PM
LuBu
Driver

I changed the oil, and inspected the undercarriage.

It appears that there are quite a couple of leaks that need to be addressed. That will be the next task that I need to take care of...

I don't know how the lower control arm bushings are supposed to look after almost 200k miles. The front inner tires are wearing prematurely, though. In the meantime, I'll continue driving sparingly.

1) Repair transmission pan leak
2) Repair rear differential leak
3) Replace the rear bumper exhaust garnish
4) Swap in the muffler delete
5) Order the Sikky rear sway bar kit
6) Order the RR Racing USRS kit

The square wheel setup will have to wait until the lower control arm bushings are situated.
Old 06-02-24, 01:58 PM
LuBu
Driver

I attempted my first peel out today since it rained. Even without an LSD, it was easy to control by feathering the throttle. I've been rather cautious with the throttle during turns, and don't WOT unless I'm straightened out. Is it possible to learn how to drift, in a somewhat safe manner, without an LSD?

Old 06-15-24, 08:26 AM
LuBu
Driver

I stopped being lazy.

Old 07-07-24, 06:30 AM
LuBu
Driver

At last, I finally have high quality pictures of the IS F. This is so satisfying when it all connects.

First, will be closeup and generic shots.

Old 07-07-24, 06:45 AM
LuBu
Driver

Then, the remaining exterior shots.

Old 07-07-24, 07:04 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 206 Posts

I love that color; nice photos.
The following users liked this post:
LuBu (07-07-24)
Old 07-09-24, 04:59 PM
LuBu
Driver

I ordered all of the parts necessary for the transmission flush a couple of weeks ago and they just arrived, so I'll be addressing the leak within the next couple of weeks. I still have to research on what needs to be changed to repair the rear differential leak in the meantime.

Old 07-20-24, 04:10 AM
LuBu
Driver

I'll be addressing the transmission pan leak, and flush, in a few hours. I watched several videos, and read the sticky thread multiple times. I'm going to pump all six quarts in from the beginning, rather than risk not having enough fluid inside the transmission. I'll report once I arrive back home after the job is complete.
Old 07-20-24, 06:40 PM
LuBu
Driver

Mission successful. Altogether, it was about a two hour job, with the addition of three hours waiting for the transmission to cool down to the 95-108 degree F range for releasing the excess fluid.

Next, will be addressing the rear differential leak. I still have to research on the procedure.
Old 07-21-24, 04:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

The pinion shaft seal leak on the diff is no small adventure. If you are unfamiliar with setting up a differential, I would not recommend doing this at home. The FSM shows removing the entire differential, and completely disassembling it to service the front seal. Doing this without removing the differential means you will need to make some assumptions about tightening the pinion shaft nut so the preload on the pinion shaft bearings is in the right range. If you get it wrong, you'll be looking for a new differential.
The following users liked this post:
LuBu (07-22-24)
Old Today, 05:51 AM
LuBu
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The pinion shaft seal leak on the diff is no small adventure. If you are unfamiliar with setting up a differential, I would not recommend doing this at home. The FSM shows removing the entire differential, and completely disassembling it to service the front seal. Doing this without removing the differential means you will need to make some assumptions about tightening the pinion shaft nut so the preload on the pinion shaft bearings is in the right range. If you get it wrong, you'll be looking for a new differential.
I will change the differential fluid, at the very least. I'll search for an inexpensive open differential in the meantime, or a used LSD if one becomes available.

I'll be ordering the RR Racing USRS in a couple of weeks.