Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC400 - stardust (a tasteful OEM+ build)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 04:02 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Time for the rear subframe and differential bushings! I also got both of the Z30 Concepts front splash shields so I’m excited to get rid of the damaged stock one that’s barely hanging on.

The following 6 users liked this post by wellsolong:
Barbary (09-29-23), KahnBB6 (09-29-23), KiroLS (09-30-23), SC400slide (10-18-23), stheodore (08-06-24), ThomasGS4 (10-02-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-23, 09:43 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I need to do this on my car next year as well...If my stock GTE turbos hang in there a while I'd love to go through my F&R suspensions and get poly bushings everywhere. Lookin good man!!
Old 10-02-23, 11:21 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by wellsolong
Thanks @ThomasGS4, that helps because I wanna make sure the colors are correct for the car while unifying them a bit.

I'm still undecided if I want to get replace the orange-y gold backlighting in the cluster with white. On one hand, I like that it's original and it would continue matching the backlighting of the shift bezel. I also like how it looks at night. But during the day it doesn't do much for me. I'll probably just keep it, perhaps the blue needles are just throwing me off since there's no blue anywhere else. So I'm looking forward to at least red needles.

P.S. I finally reached 90k the other night!
So this is the original color of the gauges on the early SC's. They don't get much earlier than 92 lol___only shot I have of my broken gauges. I like the blue

Boy I get envious of gauges like yours. mine have never been right ever since I've had it. The needles have read right but the backlights have been sporadic at best
Nice garage too
The following users liked this post:
wellsolong (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 08:31 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Hi everyone, it's been awhile but basically the budget hasn't allowed for any updates until recently hahah.

So I decided on getting another cluster unit from Tanin instead of sending mine in, that way I can have the original around too. In the end, I opted for green needles and white clock / odometer. Not OEM colors I know, but there's so many green lights in the cabin already (key ring, pedal lights, climate control, etc.) that I figured green needles would match a lot better. I'm excited to install it once it comes in!

Some other things: after the subframe and differential bushings job, it's pretty dang tight back there handling-wise but now there's a pretty audible whine on acceleration and a bit of a clunk on deceleration that annoys me. It's not audible at high speeds. Not sure if this noise existed and is now audible without rubber bushings, or if something is now up after the driveshaft / differential was put back in.

Still have the fuel smell in cabin after the car sits for a bit. Gets worse if there's less fuel in the tank. The smell goes away pretty quickly after cracking the windows or running the AC in fresh air mode at least. Will look into this more soon.
Bimmerbill (01-25-24)
Old 03-29-24, 04:11 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Cluster update: in the very end, decided on red needles. Extremely happy with this one from Tanin. The lens is near perfect and it looks so fresh. I was a little worried it'd look too "new" and out of place but it looks amazing and is a definite upgrade. Also happy that replacing the cluster is pretty easy, although those connectors are pretty dang stubborn.

The following 2 users liked this post by wellsolong:
RudysSC (04-05-24), stheodore (08-14-24)
Old 04-05-24, 06:15 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Cluster looks great - I'm jealous of that and the subframe and diff bushings. My car needs both!
wellsolong (04-08-24)
Old 04-08-24, 02:18 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Cluster looks great - I'm jealous of that and the subframe and diff bushings. My car needs both!
I wonder if it can be attributed to the bushings but handling has been great! Besides those bushings and solid steering rack bushings, I don't have anything else suspension-wise except coilovers. I recently test drove an SC with factory everything and it was so bouncy and handling felt really loose all around. So it made me feel like it's been worth it. Hopefully you can get it done some day!
RudysSC (04-15-24)
Old 04-10-24, 08:20 PM
wellsolong
Driver

A little update that I can't really post a photo for: I put in a black felt strip around the forward center console since the old material had corroded away causing the console to move around and squeak on every little bump. Totally silent now and you can't even see the felt unless you put your head below the rearview!

I love how easy it is to fix little quality issues in this car.
RudysSC (04-15-24)
Old 06-26-24, 02:07 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Hit the six digit milestone about a month ago! It's a been about a year and some change having this car now and my love for it has not changed in the slightest.

The following 2 users liked this post by wellsolong:
Barbary (06-26-24), stheodore (08-06-24)