Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC400 - stardust (a tasteful OEM+ build)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 07:12 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1992 SC400 - stardust (a tasteful OEM+ build)

Hello all,

Figured I should finally start my own build thread. The brief story: I previously owned an XV10 1996 ES300 and I loved that thing. However, it was very high mileage and just started to have a slew of problems that I couldn't keep up with. It didn't make sense to try and keep it running anymore. So when looking for a new car, I only had one stipulation: it had to be another 90s Lexus.

Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about an SC. But there just happened to be one at a local dealer that specializes more in electric vehicles and post-2010 luxury cars. So I went to take a look at it and the rest is history.

UZZ30 1992 SC400, diamond white pearl with tan interior, manufactured 09/1991, 84k miles, one previous owner, completely stock and unmodded (other than blue gauge needles), it was mostly just dirty and I knew it would clean up so good. So I got it hehe.

My main plans are to keep it as stock as possible but with tasteful enhancements to looks, drivability, and performance. I've kept every OEM part that's been replaced with aftermarket just in case.

the day I went to take a look at it

with my ES before I sold it (if only I had an LS as well to complete the 90s lineup haha)

interior pre-stereo unit replacement

what's been done

-cleaned the heck out of it and some headlight restoration
-new wiper blades
-added window tint
-replaced the phone antenna thanks to ThomasGS4 (the original one was improperly reattached after the tint job and I lost it on the freeway)
-replaced stock Pioneer stereo unit with a JVC touchscreen, added amp, retained the subwoofer
-vinyl wrapped the side pillars as they were chipped in spots
-replaced the rear speaker grilles since the original ones were damaged
-got those Lloyd floor mats from Z30 Concepts
-replaced the tires with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ (stock specs as I want to keep the original wheels)
-tightened subframe bolts and a loose heatshield that was causing some noise at low speeds
-replaced worn KYBs and installed BC BR Series coilovers and lowered the vehicle a bit but nothing crazy...feels and looks great
-replaced a leaking high pressure power steering line with a new fabricated one
-replaced the steering rack bushings with PHR solid bushings
-put in a new OEM fuel filter
-deleted the two rear resonators
-installed the Tanabe / Revel Medallion Touring-S exhaust
-reseated and secured a loose passenger window switch

upcoming

-radiator replacement
-SuperPro poly subframe bushings
-wiper arm repaint
-touch up a few chips here and there
-refurbish instrument cluster and revert needle colors to red
-further investigate occasional fuel smell in cabin and trunk
-replace the cracked engine splash shield with the aluminum one from Z30 Concepts

wish list

-SuperPro poly rear differential bushings
-FIGS control arms
-Whiteline sway bars
-really restore headlights, high beams, and cornering lights

the car recently

Old 08-08-23, 07:39 PM
wellsolong
Driver

And as an update to the coolant spray episode this week, I cleaned up as much as I could by hand. It's not perfect but was mostly just focused on the coolant. And I left the deeper stuff for after everything's fixed.

before

after

Old 08-08-23, 09:58 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Very nice car! Looks very well taken care of; everything looks original.

The following 3 users liked this post by joewitafro:
CurtK (01-31-24), stheodore (08-06-24), wellsolong (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 12:13 AM
wellsolong
Driver

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Very nice car! Looks very well taken care of; everything looks original.
Yep! I wish I could meet the previous owner and ask for the car's story and thank him because he clearly took care of his car. I can see in areas how he kept up with it, even touching up some minor scratches and things. And I know he led a good life as I found some golf tees under the spare tire hahah.

It's not totally perfect but mostly just aging, a lot of missing fasteners, and interior stuff that has warped and cracked a bit.

I hope I can can continue the legacy of being a good owner!
The following users liked this post:
CurtK (01-31-24)
Old 08-09-23, 03:37 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Great start to a long association with a beautiful car and not only a beautiful car but the RIGHT car. Keep us up to date with you and your car.
Question - what about the floor mats you bought, I have bought bushings and both of the splash shields from him and that was going to be a future purchase. What do you think of the mats?
Oh by the way you did a great job on cleaning up you engine compartment, looks new. Good luck.
Bill
wellsolong (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 08:06 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Absolute STUNNER. So cool to see nice survivors out there getting picked up and loved. Can't wait to see how things go - keep enjoying that bad boy!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
CurtK (01-31-24), wellsolong (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 10:07 AM
wellsolong
Driver

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Great start to a long association with a beautiful car and not only a beautiful car but the RIGHT car. Keep us up to date with you and your car.
Question - what about the floor mats you bought, I have bought bushings and both of the splash shields from him and that was going to be a future purchase. What do you think of the mats?
Oh by the way you did a great job on cleaning up you engine compartment, looks new. Good luck.
Bill
Thanks Bill, will do!

As for the mats, I think they're great. The quality is really nice and they fit everywhere perfectly. If there's one thing I can ding them on but it's not even that much of a ding, it's the color. I got the tan ones and they're a bit darker than the surrounding carpet but I know it's so hard to match all these tans, beiges, and browns. I'm used to it now but I'll get a photo later so I can show you what I mean.
Old 08-09-23, 10:11 AM
wellsolong
Driver

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Absolute STUNNER. So cool to see nice survivors out there getting picked up and loved. Can't wait to see how things go - keep enjoying that bad boy!
Thanks for the support Rudy, I've definitely been enjoying it!

A survivor indeed. One thing I thought was peculiar was that the dealer picked it up from auction in late 2021 and so it had been sitting there for a good year without any buyers. I was worried that there'd be some catch. But nope, everything's been great minus the standard stuff. I suppose it was meant to be!
The following 2 users liked this post by wellsolong:
Bimmerbill (08-09-23), RudysSC (08-10-23)
Old 08-09-23, 01:05 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Excellent engine bay clean up. I've found the the secret, or maybe not so secret, is now that it sparkles the trick is, don't let it go, stay on it, keep it clean. Which sounds like you will do anyway.
In this day and age a one owner, low mileage SC super car, in fine condition is almost unbelievable. You've got what most enthusiasts dream for.

Funny, I just wrote in a post here somewhere that it used to be common seeing little old grey hair ladies in California driving Lexus SC's.
maybe your golfer was one of them
wellsolong (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 05:17 PM
wellsolong
Driver

@Barbary I will certainly keep up on it! I want to get a bunch of that other grime off too. Hahah, those grannies were definitely fortunate imo.

@Bimmerbill here are some photos of the mats. I'm grateful because I totally forgot about the sagging nets. Gotta add that DIY project to the list.

Old 08-09-23, 09:09 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Great looking mats. Will order some black mats next week, Will also order that center piece for the back also. Talking about cleaning under the hood, I have heard people talking about using Tire Shine which I have yet to try.
Best of luck.
Bill
wellsolong (08-10-23)
Old 08-10-23, 11:09 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Tire shine works great. It spreads itself just like on tires. Has a long lasting shine
wellsolong (08-10-23)
Old 08-10-23, 11:22 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

BARBARY,
Thank you for for your report. I honestly have had a can in my trunk for three or four months and had not used it but will use it this weekend for sure.
Thanks again,
Bill
Old 08-10-23, 11:40 AM
wellsolong
Driver

I bet the black mats will look awesome! And yes, I feel like that center tunnel mat is a must. I originally didn't get it, but after putting in the rest of the mats I felt like it'd be the little icing on the cake. It looks incomplete now without it!

Edit: and about the center mat, when you first put it in the sides don't conform at first because it comes flat. Like I thought I'd might have to put some velcro underneath on both sides so that it'd stay. But eventually it breaks in and stays curved onto there as above.

Barbary, I'm gonna have to try out tire shine as well!

Last edited by wellsolong; 08-10-23 at 11:46 AM.
Bimmerbill (08-10-23)
Old 08-10-23, 12:59 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,244 Likes on 867 Posts

Absolutely beautiful and clean SC400 time capsule!! A truly wonderful job that you've done!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Barbary (08-11-23), wellsolong (08-10-23)

Quick Reply: 1992 SC400 - stardust (a tasteful OEM+ build)