Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

2002 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 12:30 PM
firelizard

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

You have great luck. Every time I see a dome light with the sunglasses holder, it's weirdly discoloured.

Tom's grilles are maybe my favourite, I'm really glad I got mine before they got really popular. OEM-quality fit can't be beat (it's a genuine Toyota TRD part).
Old 06-15-24, 04:09 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
Perusing Japan auctions while bored at work on a payday is a surefire way to blow through my paycheck I won auctions for a brand new OEM grey domelight surround with sunglasses holder and an OEM double-din radio surround. Also in progress are a brand new body color matched Tom's grille and set of used TRD struts with Sportivo springs. While I find the ride quality of the black TRD springs to be fine for the drop, wifey doesn't like riding in my car and I need her to be comfortable in it so she can drive it whenever I take hers down to work on it. I expect the Sportivos should take the edge off of sharper bumps.

So PM me if anyone is interested in buying the black TRD springs and/or struts.

See how I feel now huh….. lol YAJ is the Devil
Old 06-16-24, 04:03 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
You have great luck. Every time I see a dome light with the sunglasses holder, it's weirdly discoloured.

Tom's grilles are maybe my favourite, I'm really glad I got mine before they got really popular. OEM-quality fit can't be beat (it's a genuine Toyota TRD part).
Yeah I had been eyeing the Rising Tuning replica grille until I saw this one for basically the same price. Add in another $100 or so for shipping and I think it's more than worth it for an OEM color matched part.
Old 06-16-24, 04:05 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Answer300
See how I feel now huh….. lol YAJ is the Devil
Yeah I'm so glad I learned about it but kind of wishing I never had at the same time haha.

But Streeter won those two auctions for me so now I just wait for the JDM fairy to deliver the strut/spring assemblies and grille. Then it's on to swapping springs for the 3rd time now
Old 06-16-24, 04:12 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Wheel speed sensor is replaced.

Driver door and door panel are sound deadened the same as the left side. I had to go back to my pics to remember how I did it the first time to make sure everything was applied evenly. Unfortunately, I couldn't creak proof the driver panel as much as I wanted to. The poor thing is barely hanging together as a bunch of the plastic rivets that hold the upper and lower panel and inner door handle assembly are broken. I was able to at least drive two screws through two of the rivet points to hold it better but I'll have to keep an eye on the junkyards again to see if another black interior pops up. I'd like to find one that's in better shape at some point. Plus there's also a couple little white spots on the armrest I can't get off that are still annoying me.

I finally got the last of the godawful fake wood adhesive trim off after warming it with a heat gun and picking at it until my fingertips became raw. The interior detailer was still drying in the second pic so the panel isn't actually as splotchy as it looks.

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (06-27-24)
Old 06-16-24, 04:34 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwoods801
I think the speakers in the front doors are 16 ohm, but the tweeter and woofer is wired in parallel which cut’s the resistance in half. So they could run one channel to a pair of speakers in each front door, while keeping the impedance correct for the ML amp. You can replace them with a component set that is 8 ohms and use a passive crossover to ensure correct wattage and frequency reaches each speaker without effecting the resistance.
So I'm not sure if they are wired in parallel. I measured 6 ohms of resistance at the tweeter and confirmed the woofer is 16 ohms but they're wired independently or at least seem to be within the door itself. I'll have to double-check a wiring diagram again but going forward from the main connector that has those purple and pink wires running into it, there are green and yellow wires for the woofer and the black/red carry through that harness to the 2nd connector for the tweeter.

But so far my attempts to work with the OEM system aren't going too great. I was thinking those FaitalPRO woofers I linked above could have worked as drop ins for the OEM woofer box. I don't know why I thought the OEM woofers were 4" when I ordered those because they're actually about 6" so those will be getting returned.

Then I thought maybe I could drop in those Eminence woofers I bought before that but they're just a bit too large to fit in the OEM box. I had speaker adapters on hand but those were a bit of a tight fit too but not so much that I couldn't make them work. I utilized the stock wiring to hook them up which worked well except they sound like ****. I think a car door just isn't a good application for them considering they're designed for home theater. So I'm getting closer to saying **** it and doing an independent system altogether especially considering I've got an OEM double-din surround coming. That will be go on the back burner though after my recent spending above.

Old 06-17-24, 07:21 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Actually, i didn’t realize you had the ML system when I made my previous comment. I don’t know exactly what they have going on but I would guess that the tweeter measures the really rare 6 ohms, because it’s wired in some unusual combination with the other tweeter and the center channel. The factory sound systems are difficult to upgrade. If you want quality sound, and are willing to spend a little money, there are plenty of better options. An aftermarket amp, a component set, a decent sub and some type of LOC or DSP, and it’ll sound great with minimal investment.
Old 06-17-24, 11:36 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Yep, the audio wish list is currently growing
Old 06-19-24, 05:47 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

The seller cancelled the auction for the dome light On the hunt for another I guess...
Old 06-20-24, 07:59 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Wheel speed sensor is replaced.

Driver door and door panel are sound deadened the same as the left side. I had to go back to my pics to remember how I did it the first time to make sure everything was applied evenly. Unfortunately, I couldn't creak proof the driver panel as much as I wanted to. The poor thing is barely hanging together as a bunch of the plastic rivets that hold the upper and lower panel and inner door handle assembly are broken. I was able to at least drive two screws through two of the rivet points to hold it better but I'll have to keep an eye on the junkyards again to see if another black interior pops up. I'd like to find one that's in better shape at some point. Plus there's also a couple little white spots on the armrest I can't get off that are still annoying me.

I finally got the last of the godawful fake wood adhesive trim off after warming it with a heat gun and picking at it until my fingertips became raw. The interior detailer was still drying in the second pic so the panel isn't actually as splotchy as it looks.

you don’t need to find a whole new black interior just because it’s a little rattly. Just pick up some quality plastic epoxy and some replacement plastic rivets. Get the rivets used or from the wrecking yard. Make sure to get the right color of rivet for each specific spot. I think the door panels users green rivets, but I am not certain about that. If there is something wrong with how they attach to the door panel, u can use the plastic epoxy, to make sure each rivet gets attached solid to their original locations. If any of the door panels are damaged or something, you can use the same epoxy to repair the damage accordingly. If you have any questions about a specific epoxy product to use, send me a DM and I can recommend a few products that have worked well for me and also what to avoid. Your black door panels look great. It’ll be hard to find better used ones, without spending a lot of money. A few weeks ago I saw a full set of black door panels with the black wood trim on eBay. And the sale price was $1275!
Even the discoloration on the leather can also be repaired fairly easily and with minimal expense.
If you have any questions about this, send me a DM and I can point you in the right direction for some solutions.
Old 06-22-24, 07:47 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Good idea!

The dome light surround popped up on Buyee again so here's hoping the guy doesn't cancel the auction on me this time.
Old 06-22-24, 02:02 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Heat dome in the southeast = working in the air cooled garage.

Got some goodies in anticipation of redoing the stereo.

Thus far I've replaced the 8 gauge wiring I originally ran from the engine bay through the dash with 4 gauge so I have the power bandwith to amp both components and a sub. It terminates behind the glove box. I'm going to run a distro block there to split off 8 gauge to a future amp in the trunk for a sub and an amp for components which I'll hopefully be able to stash in the CD changer box after I gutted it:

Then I deadened the rear right door using slightly different methods from the front:

Deadener on the inside of the exterior skin

Followed by closed cell foam

Won't be running rear speakers so I kind of closed off the opening with more foam

Additional deadening on the interior skin (vapor barrier reinstalled after of course)

Before door panel

Added deadener and all push pins replaced

Topped with foam

Complete

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (06-27-24)
Old 06-22-24, 03:00 PM
firelizard

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

Good idea!

The dome light surround popped up on Buyee again so here's hoping the guy doesn't cancel the auction on me this time.
I've heard that seller cancelling auctions if they don't get the price they're looking for is a pretty common problem.
Old 06-22-24, 05:12 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
I've heard that seller cancelling auctions if they don't get the price they're looking for is a pretty common problem.
Yes, especially if it’s alike listings going for higher prices. You have to go deep in the pages to find deals. I’ve found some of the best deals after 15-20 pages on average
Old 06-26-24, 05:57 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

It was a buy it now auction and he cancelled it for a 2nd time in a row now so I guess it wasn't meant to be

Quick Reply: 2002 gs430